tk4 mvs 3.8

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi I installed tk4 which I guess is mvs 3.8. I downloaded a tn3270 and was able to log on. Kinda a blast from the past I haven't worked on ibm mainframes since 2004. I worked on mainframes for 20 years going from a operator to someone who supported products/system programmer. I supported Sar, Express delvivery, infoman, endevor etc. I started coding in assembler in 1989.

The most fun was when os390 came out with a unix partition called Unix System Services and learning HTML, Javascript, Java, and perl on unix and connecting them with the 'MVS' side with rexx and assembler.

I tried coding a simple rexx on tk4 but it didn't work. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong.

Soon I will try an assembler program.

Thanks for listening

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

On 6/4/17 1:49 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:
> I tried coding a simple rexx on tk4 but it didn't work. Is that correct
> or am I doing something wrong.

IBM didn't offer REXX until much later. For TSO, only CLIST was
available on MVS. REXX is available as part of the GCC distribution, but
I haven't tried it yet, and I'm not sure it supports use as a TSO shell.

> Soon I will try an assembler program.
That's more like it <G>  But be aware that the assembler under MVS is
XF, and that's missing some of the features you may have used with HL.

BTW, this is not the best group for discussing MVS issues. Better groups
are hercules-os380 (MVS with 31-bit support); H390-MVS;
hercules-tk4-beta; and turnkey-mvs. The latter may be of must help, but
hercules-os380 has the most messages.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

---In [hidden email], <gerhardp@...> wrote :

> REXX is available as part of the GCC distribution

BREXX is part of both MVS/380 and
I believe TK4-.

Try doing EXEC PGM=BREXX
and go from there.

> I'm not sure it supports use as a TSO shell.

What would BREXX need to do in order
to be a "TSO shell" (whatever that is)?

> BTW, this is not the best group for discussing MVS issues. Better groups
> are hercules-os380 (MVS with 31-bit support); H390-MVS;
> hercules-tk4-beta; and turnkey-mvs. The latter may be of must help, but
> hercules-os380 has the most messages.

turnkey-mvs is best for getting TK4-
up and running.

H390-MVS is best if you have a
generic MVS question.

BREXX and other C program support
is best done in hercules-os380

hercules-tk4-beta is a closed group
which he probably can't join.

BFN. Paul.

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

---In [hidden email], <kerravon86@...> wrote :

>> REXX is available as part of the GCC distribution

> BREXX is part of both MVS/380 and
> I believe TK4-.

And also part of SEASIK for the
convenience of anyone running
z/OS.

BFN. Paul.

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

On 6/4/17 2:42 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:
> What would BREXX need to do in order
> to be a "TSO shell" (whatever that is)?
Currently from the TSO command line I can type 'xyz', and the command
processor determines whether 'xyz' is a CLIST or a load module. Under
OS/390, etc. code was added to the CLIST processor to scan for a REXX
string inside a comment on the first card image, and to invoke the REXX
interpreter instead of continuing with CLIST processing.

Also the IBM REXX has support for ISPF variables and functions not
available under MVS.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Hi Paul

 http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png on TK4-??? While I like having a beer now and then, I wasn't yet able to create an interface to that brewery.

 http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png

 http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/upl... http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png

 View on www.brexx-grenzau.de http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png
 Preview by Yahoo

 No, there currently is no BREXX on TK4-. I also never saw it required by anyone. Personally, I think, to become useful it would need a more IBM-style integration (callable "as a shell script" from the command line, environments to issue TSO, MVS and JES2 commands, etc.).

 Cheers
 Jürgen

 ---In [hidden email] mailto:[hidden email], <gerhardp@...> wrote :

 > REXX is available as part of the GCC distribution

 BREXX is part of both MVS/380 and
 I believe TK4-.

 Try doing EXEC PGM=BREXX
 and go from there.

 > I'm not sure it supports use as a TSO shell.

 What would BREXX need to do in order
 to be a "TSO shell" (whatever that is)?

 > BTW, this is not the best group for discussing MVS issues. Better groups
 > are hercules-os380 (MVS with 31-bit support); H390-MVS;
 > hercules-tk4-beta; and turnkey-mvs. The latter may be of must help, but
 > hercules-os380 has the most messages.

 turnkey-mvs is best for getting TK4-
 up and running.

 H390-MVS is best if you have a
 generic MVS question.

 BREXX and other C program support
 is best done in hercules-os380

 hercules-tk4-beta is a closed group
 which he probably can't join.

 BFN. Paul.

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

"What would BREXX need to do in order
to be a "TSO shell" (whatever that is)?"

When you want to run a REXX script under the TSO command line, the first
line is:

/* REXX */

Then the REXX processor gets invoked instead of the CLIST processor.

Joe

On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 1:42 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> ---In [hidden email], <gerhardp@...> wrote :
>
> > REXX is available as part of the GCC distribution
>
> BREXX is part of both MVS/380 and
> I believe TK4-.
>
> Try doing EXEC PGM=BREXX
> and go from there.
>
> > I'm not sure it supports use as a TSO shell.
>
> What would BREXX need to do in order
> to be a "TSO shell" (whatever that is)?
>
> > BTW, this is not the best group for discussing MVS issues. Better groups
> > are hercules-os380 (MVS with 31-bit support); H390-MVS;
> > hercules-tk4-beta; and turnkey-mvs. The latter may be of must help, but
> > hercules-os380 has the most messages.
>
> turnkey-mvs is best for getting TK4-
> up and running.
>
> H390-MVS is best if you have a
> generic MVS question.
>
> BREXX and other C program support
> is best done in hercules-os380
>
> hercules-tk4-beta is a closed group
> which he probably can't join.
>
> BFN. Paul.

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

On 6/4/17 3:45 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:
> http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png
> on TK4-??? While I like having a beer now and then, I wasn't yet able to
> create an interface to that brewery.
Interesting. How do you drink "Festbier" - or do you have to chew it? <G>

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Well, Gerhard, presumingly you know how to drink it . For those who never were at the "Oktoberfest" or any other "...fest": "Festbier" is a beer brewed for a special occasion, a "Fest". This can range from loud and funny summer party style events to religious events like Christmas. The beer brewed for the Oktoberfest ist a "Festbier" as well as the beer brewed for Christmas. Typically, beer brewed for party events is a bit lighter than normal (so, you can drink more), while beer brewed for religious events is stronger than normal (fantasizing about the reason left to the reader). But its all beer, in fluid state. The noun "Fest" in this context has nothing to do with the adjective "fest", which would translate to "solid".

 Cheers
 Jürgen

 On 6/4/17 3:45 AM, winkelmann@... mailto:winkelmann@... [hercules-390] wrote:
 > http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png
 > on TK4-??? While I like having a beer now and then, I wasn't yet able to
 > create an interface to that brewery.
 Interesting. How do you drink "Festbier" - or do you have to chew it? <G>

 Gerhard Postpischil
 Bradford, VT

 ---
 http://www.avg.com http://www.avg.com

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Im sorry but the question is can I run rexx under hercules 3.8 that I installed with the tk4. When
I try to run rexx from option 6 it says command not found

John

---In [hidden email], <jkmagouirk@...> wrote :

> Im sorry but the question is can I run
> rexx under hercules 3.8 that I installed
> with the tk4. When I try to run rexx from
> option 6 it says command not found

It turns out that rexx is *not* available
in a standard TK4- install after all.

If you want it on TK4- you will need to
install SEASIK (which includes the
pre-built BREXX) from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gccmvs/files/SEASIK/SEASIK%201.0/

Or you can actually download a standard
brexx source distribution (I think you will
need either 2.1.7 or 2.1.8) just like you
would on Unix etc, and build it yourself
(there is an "mvs" subdirectory in the
source distribution).

Or you can try out MVS/380 which comes
with brexx already installed. For it to be
invoked under TSO like that, I think you
will need to add a STEPLIB:

//STEPLIB DD DSN=BREXX.LIINKLIB,DISP=SHR

to the TSO logon procedure. I'm not
sure if it will also work if you copy
the brexx load module into
SYS2.LINKLIB and then try execution
from TSO by just typing "brexx".

Also note that if you want to type
in just "rexx" you will obviously
need to rename brexx to rexx,
which is fine. Or add an alias.

BFN. Paul.

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Hercules390 - General mailing list
---In [hidden email], <kerravon86@...> wrote :

> Or you can try out MVS/380 which comes
> with brexx already installed.

I should have provided a warning here -
MVS/380 is much older than TK4-.

However, depending on what you want
to do, the older MVS/380 may be
perfectly fine for your needs, especially
given that BREXX is pre-installed.

BFN. Paul.

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

The stronger varieties are often called "Barley Wine" in the UK, and
sold during the Winter in small bottles.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

  http://www.hercules-390.org

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Rexx came out with MVS/ESA which was quite a while after MVS 3.8.
Scott

    On Sunday, June 4, 2017 5:54 PM, "Mark Morgan Lloyd [hidden email] [hercules-390]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

 The stronger varieties are often called "Barley Wine" in the UK, and
sold during the Winter in small bottles.

> Well, Gerhard, presumingly you know how to drink it . For those who
> never were at the "Oktoberfest" or any other "...fest": "Festbier" is a
> beer brewed for a special occasion, a "Fest". This can range from loud
> and funny summer party style events to religious events like Christmas.
> The beer brewed for the Oktoberfest ist a "Festbier" as well as the beer
> brewed for Christmas. Typically, beer brewed for party events is a bit
> lighter than normal (so, you can drink more), while beer brewed for
> religious events is stronger than normal (fantasizing about the reason
> left to the reader). But its all beer, in fluid state. The noun "Fest"
> in this context has nothing to do with the adjective "fest", which would
> translate to "solid".
>

> Cheers
>
> Jürgen
>

> ---In [hidden email], <gerhardp@...> wrote :
>
> On 6/4/17 3:45 AM, winkelmann@... <mailto:winkelmann@...> [hercules-390]
> wrote:
>
>    >
>    http://www.brexx-grenzau.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Bierflaschen.png
>    > on TK4-??? While I like having a beer now and then, I wasn't yet able to
>    > create an interface to that brewery.
>
> Interesting. How do you drink "Festbier" - or do you have to chew it? <G>

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

  http://www.hercules-390.org

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Hercules390 - General mailing list

For a language that came out before Rexx that was designed specifically to replace and enhance  JCL and TSO Clists, you might like to go here: http://start.oscar-jol.com/home.

Some points about Jol:

* You can easily create full screen panels such as the one shown on the front page.
* It has full arithmetic and string handling instructions, similar to most high level languages.
* It has an inbuilt Job Scheduler.
* It is an easy to use English style language.
* It has a really powerful macro language.

And much more.

Free for Hercules and Hobbyist Users.  And inexpensive for others.
Mainframe, Windows and Linux versions available

Clem Clarke

__._,_.___

Posted by: Clem Clarke <[hidden email]>

  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.hercules-390.org

.

__,_._,___

Re: tk4 mvs 3.8

Hi All,
Is there anyone in this group has zOS v2.2 image for hercules? If any, could I got the link to download it?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

teddysudewo wrote:

> Is there anyone in this group has zOS v2.2 image for hercules?
> If any, could I got the link to download it?

1. z/OS is valuable copyrighted intellectual property of IBM and as such can only be legally distributed by IBM or other third party companies they designate as authorized to do so.  What you are asking is against the law (illegal).  If you want a copy of z/OS then contact IBM.  There is no one here that will help you.  We are not pirates nor do we condone piracy.

2. IBM is known to monitor this list so they are now aware of your effort to try and obtain their software illegally.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories