request help please, installing languages into MVS 3.8J

request help please, installing languages into MVS 3.8J

david_dodds_2001
Hello everyone.

 I am a Hercules S/370 + Turnkey MVS3.8J (v3 ISO download) newbie. I
got my Hercules installed, configured and IPLed ok. (I think. It seems
to run ok anyway).
4 3270, 1 telnet, 1 RJE3780 sessions. I have downloaded the .tgz for
each of Fortran, PLI, Cobol, RPG, Algol and MVT/Sort. I have looked at
the JCL enclosed for the Fortran "install" onto my system, and so have
SOME idea as to what is needed to happen, to get Fortran installed
onto my system (from its HET tape). Amongst the instructions to
install a "language under MVS" is the caution "..define SYS2.LINKLIB
before (running) the install JCL [seems to be called MVTFORT.JCL in
the .tgz]..". (The instructions say "The link edit steps use
SYS2.LINKLIB as the target for the language load modules.) At this
point I need assistance.

question1:
 how do I look at the contents of the DASD in my HERCULES S/370 MVS
3.8J system to see if SYS2.LINKLIB already exists on my system somewhere?

question2:
If SYS2.LINKLIB already exists on my system will running the
MVTFORT.JCL stream automagically find it and properly use it to
install the FORT stuff? (and the other languages too when I run their
individual JCL stream installs?)

question3:
 If SYS2.LINKLIB does NOT already exist on my current system >> HOW <<
do I perform the "define SYS2.LINKLIB"? Is there a "standard place" in
an MVS system to have SYS2.LINKLIB defined into (ie a particular
'location'), or is it relatively open as to where my "define" process
establishes SYS2.LINKLIB? (can you tell Im not a mainframe systems guy?)

Thankyou for anticipated help.

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: request help please, installing languages into MVS 3.8J

somitcw
   Tur(n)key MVS V3 already has compilers.
Log on to TSO, enter RPF, and browse
SYS2.PROCLIB