problem adding a new dasd pack

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
I followed the instructions for adding a new dasd to my sixpack, but I got stuck on step five.  Would someone please elaborate what step five really means.  I typed the "IPL FMT S" at cms prompt and also I created a two lines file with USERID MAINT and with IPL FMT S as the second card, but neither one worked.  Here is the entire instructions that worked up to step five.



issue Q DA ALL.  This will tell you the addresses of the off line   3350s

It is not hard to add a CP owned volume.  Here are the general steps:

1. allocate a new volume using the Hercules utility DASDINIT
2. add it to your Hercules configuration for VM6pack.   If you are allocating a new 3350, device address 147 would be a good choice.
3. Bring up VM
4. From MAINT, attach 147 to MAINT (might have to VARY ONL 147 too)
5. Punch to MAINT's virtual reader, the standalone format/allocate program,   IPL  FMT  S
6. IPL 00C
7.  Format 147, specify your VOLSER of choice, format all cylinders 000   554
8.  Using the same standalone program, choose allocate
9.  PERM the entire volume;   e.g.,   PERM 000 554
10. Allocate a small TEMP area (I'll explain why in a bit),  say  TEMP 001  020
11. Allocate whatever amount of TDSK space you want,  for example   TDSK  021   250
12.  Specify END when done allocating
13.  IPL CMS
14.  Add your new VOLSER (whatever the name is) to the SYSOWN list in DMKSYS ASSEMBLE,  specify  (VOLSER,TEMP)
15.  Follow the procedure to build a CP nucleus that you used for DIAG58, except you assemble DMKSYS instead of the other programs.


It is important to PERM the entire volume first, if you dont then anything you do not perm will be allocated as TEMP which is probably not your intention.

You need to allocate some TEMP or PAGE though, on a CP-owned volume because you specify one or the other in the SYSOWN list.  We dont really need more PAGE space in our environment, but TEMP can be useful.

After you build the nucleus and re-ipl your system, you should ipl COLD if you added TEMP space.  If you dont want to ipl COLD then allocate a little PAGE space on the new volume instead of TEMP and specify (VOLSER,PAGE) in the SYSOWN list instead.

Make a copy of your Sixpack folders 1st before doing this.  If you foul something up badly, you have that as a back up.  Its really no risk if you do that first.  Don't shy away from the process, it is how you get comfy with it, for the next time there is a reason.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Apologies is Thunderbird got me once again.

Step 5 tells you to issue this command (yoy didn't s/he?):

punch ipl fmt s ( noheader

Noheader is just as important.

My suggestion is that you do all of this (particularly if you're logged
in as MAINT):

sp d * cl z
punch ipl fmt s ( noheader
sp c cl z
ipl c

On 05/05/2017 03:09 PM, [hidden email] [H390-VM] wrote:

>
>
> I followed the instructions for adding a new dasd to my sixpack, but I
> got stuck on step five.  Would someone please elaborate what step five
> really means.  I typed the "IPL FMT S" at cms prompt and also I created
> a two lines file with USERID MAINT and with IPL FMT S as the second
> card, but neither one worked.  Here is the entire instructions that
> worked up to step five.
>
>
>
> issue Q DA ALL.  This will tell you the addresses of the off line   3350s
>
> It is not hard to add a CP owned volume.  Here are the general steps:
>
> 1. allocate a new volume using the Hercules utility DASDINIT
> 2. add it to your Hercules configuration for VM6pack.   If you are
> allocating a new 3350, device address 147 would be a good choice.
> 3. Bring up VM
> 4. From MAINT, attach 147 to MAINT (might have to VARY ONL 147 too)
> 5. Punch to MAINT's virtual reader, the standalone format/allocate
> program,   IPL  FMT  S
> 6. IPL 00C
> 7.  Format 147, specify your VOLSER of choice, format all cylinders
> 000   554
> 8.  Using the same standalone program, choose allocate
> 9.  PERM the entire volume;   e.g.,   PERM 000 554
> 10. Allocate a small TEMP area (I'll explain why in a bit),  say  TEMP
> 001  020
> 11. Allocate whatever amount of TDSK space you want,  for example
> TDSK  021   250
> 12.  Specify END when done allocating
> 13.  IPL CMS
> 14.  Add your new VOLSER (whatever the name is) to the SYSOWN list in
> DMKSYS ASSEMBLE,  specify  (VOLSER,TEMP)
> 15.  Follow the procedure to build a CP nucleus that you used for
> DIAG58, except you assemble DMKSYS instead of the other programs.
>
>
> It is important to PERM the entire volume first, if you dont then
> anything you do not perm will be allocated as TEMP which is probably not
> your intention.
>
> You need to allocate some TEMP or PAGE though, on a CP-owned volume
> because you specify one or the other in the SYSOWN list.  We dont really
> need more PAGE space in our environment, but TEMP can be useful.
>
> After you build the nucleus and re-ipl your system, you should ipl COLD
> if you added TEMP space.  If you dont want to ipl COLD then allocate a
> little PAGE space on the new volume instead of TEMP and specify
> (VOLSER,PAGE) in the SYSOWN list instead.
>
> Make a copy of your Sixpack folders 1st before doing this.  If you foul
> something up badly, you have that as a back up.  Its really no risk if
> you do that first.  Don't shy away from the process, it is how you get
> comfy with it, for the next time there is a reason.
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
On 5 May 2017 at 09:09, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I followed the instructions for adding a new dasd to my sixpack, but I got stuck on step five.  Would someone please elaborate
> what step five really means.  I typed the "IPL FMT S" at cms prompt and also I created a two lines file with USERID MAINT and
> with IPL FMT S as the second card, but neither one worked.  Here is the entire instructions that worked up to step five.

Rahim, I think you misread step 5. Maybe it would be clearer if its
author had put the filename in quotes, or worded it slightly
differently, but many of the steps assume you have some general
knowledge of what your are doing, and are not just blindly typing in
what it says.

> 5. Punch to MAINT's virtual reader, the standalone format/allocate program,   IPL  FMT  S

This says to punch the file called "IPL FMT S" to MAINT's virtual
reader. It does not say to try to run a command called "IPL FMT S". Do
you know how to punch a file to MAINT? You need to issue SPOOL PUNCH
MAINT (this is a CP command), and then "PUNCH IPL FMT S (NOH" (this is
a CMS command). Don't omit the "NOH"; this tells CMS not to put a
header card at the front; if you allow it to it will make your card
deck unIPLable.

You want to make sure that you have no other files in your virtual
reader, or at least that the one you just punched is the first one.
You can either delete all others before you start, or order them so
the one you want is first, or use classes to get the right one, or
probably several other ways. Easiest is just to have the one file.

Then in Step 6 you will IPL this virtual card deck that is in your
reader. (I take it you are logged on to MAINT to start with.)
[I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by making little files
with USERID MAINT and IPL FMT S; maybe you are confusing this
situation with RSCS and/or readl card readers.]

Anyway, before you continue with Step 7, please read up on the
standalone format/allocate program, because you will be getting
prompts and messages, and you need to understand what the program does
and how it behaves before you plough ahead with steps 7-12.

Tony H.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
How do you exit the standalone format / Allocate program?
 
regards;

Rahim Azizarab


  

 

    On Friday, May 5, 2017 12:28 PM, "Tony Harminc [hidden email] [H390-VM]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 

     On 5 May 2017 at 09:09, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I followed the instructions for adding a new dasd to my sixpack, but I got stuck on step five. Would someone please elaborate
> what step five really means. I typed the "IPL FMT S" at cms prompt and also I created a two lines file with USERID MAINT and
> with IPL FMT S as the second card, but neither one worked. Here is the entire instructions that worked up to step five.

Rahim, I think you misread step 5. Maybe it would be clearer if its
author had put the filename in quotes, or worded it slightly
differently, but many of the steps assume you have some general
knowledge of what your are doing, and are not just blindly typing in
what it says.

> 5. Punch to MAINT's virtual reader, the standalone format/allocate program, IPL FMT S

This says to punch the file called "IPL FMT S" to MAINT's virtual
reader. It does not say to try to run a command called "IPL FMT S". Do
you know how to punch a file to MAINT? You need to issue SPOOL PUNCH
MAINT (this is a CP command), and then "PUNCH IPL FMT S (NOH" (this is
a CMS command). Don't omit the "NOH"; this tells CMS not to put a
header card at the front; if you allow it to it will make your card
deck unIPLable.

You want to make sure that you have no other files in your virtual
reader, or at least that the one you just punched is the first one.
You can either delete all others before you start, or order them so
the one you want is first, or use classes to get the right one, or
probably several other ways. Easiest is just to have the one file.

Then in Step 6 you will IPL this virtual card deck that is in your
reader. (I take it you are logged on to MAINT to start with.)
[I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by making little files
with USERID MAINT and IPL FMT S; maybe you are confusing this
situation with RSCS and/or readl card readers.]

Anyway, before you continue with Step 7, please read up on the
standalone format/allocate program, because you will be getting
prompts and messages, and you need to understand what the program does
and how it behaves before you plough ahead with steps 7-12.

Tony H.
  #yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647 -- #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp #yiv1246047647hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp #yiv1246047647ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp .yiv1246047647ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp .yiv1246047647ad p {margin:0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mkp .yiv1246047647ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-sponsor #yiv1246047647ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-sponsor #yiv1246047647ygrp-lc #yiv1246047647hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-sponsor #yiv1246047647ygrp-lc .yiv1246047647ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647activity span .yiv1246047647underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 dd.yiv1246047647last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv1246047647 dd.yiv1246047647last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv1246047647 dd.yiv1246047647last p span.yiv1246047647yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647file-title a, #yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647file-title a:active, #yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647file-title a:hover, #yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647photo-title a, #yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647photo-title a:active, #yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647photo-title a:hover, #yiv1246047647 div.yiv1246047647photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 div#yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1246047647ygrp-msg p a span.yiv1246047647yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv1246047647 o {font-size:0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv1246047647 .yiv1246047647replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv1246047647 input, #yiv1246047647 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv1246047647 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-mlmsg #yiv1246047647logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-msg p#yiv1246047647attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-reco #yiv1246047647reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-sponsor #yiv1246047647ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-sponsor #yiv1246047647ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-sponsor #yiv1246047647ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv1246047647 #yiv1246047647ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv1246047647

   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
On 5 May 2017 at 13:45, Rahim Azizarab [hidden email] wrote:

> How do you exit the standalone format / Allocate program?


What would "exit" mean in this context? Where would you exit *to*, since
the only thing running in your virtual machine *is* the standalone
format/allocate program. ? Just IPL the next program you want to run, or
shut down your VM or logoff or whatever.

Tony H.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
thank you.  I had to do the shutdown.
 
regards;

Rahim Azizarab
  

  

 

    On Friday, May 5, 2017 12:47 PM, "Rahim Azizarab [hidden email] [H390-VM]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 

     How do you exit the standalone format / Allocate program?
 
regards;

Rahim Azizarab


  

 

    On Friday, May 5, 2017 12:28 PM, "Tony Harminc [hidden email] [H390-VM]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
 

     On 5 May 2017 at 09:09, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> I followed the instructions for adding a new dasd to my sixpack, but I got stuck on step five. Would someone please elaborate
> what step five really means. I typed the "IPL FMT S" at cms prompt and also I created a two lines file with USERID MAINT and
> with IPL FMT S as the second card, but neither one worked. Here is the entire instructions that worked up to step five.

Rahim, I think you misread step 5. Maybe it would be clearer if its
author had put the filename in quotes, or worded it slightly
differently, but many of the steps assume you have some general
knowledge of what your are doing, and are not just blindly typing in
what it says.

> 5. Punch to MAINT's virtual reader, the standalone format/allocate program, IPL FMT S

This says to punch the file called "IPL FMT S" to MAINT's virtual
reader. It does not say to try to run a command called "IPL FMT S". Do
you know how to punch a file to MAINT? You need to issue SPOOL PUNCH
MAINT (this is a CP command), and then "PUNCH IPL FMT S (NOH" (this is
a CMS command). Don't omit the "NOH"; this tells CMS not to put a
header card at the front; if you allow it to it will make your card
deck unIPLable.

You want to make sure that you have no other files in your virtual
reader, or at least that the one you just punched is the first one.
You can either delete all others before you start, or order them so
the one you want is first, or use classes to get the right one, or
probably several other ways. Easiest is just to have the one file.

Then in Step 6 you will IPL this virtual card deck that is in your
reader. (I take it you are logged on to MAINT to start with.)
[I don't know what you are trying to accomplish by making little files
with USERID MAINT and IPL FMT S; maybe you are confusing this
situation with RSCS and/or readl card readers.]

Anyway, before you continue with Step 7, please read up on the
standalone format/allocate program, because you will be getting
prompts and messages, and you need to understand what the program does
and how it behaves before you plough ahead with steps 7-12.

Tony H.
 

     #yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239 -- #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px 0;padding:0 10px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp hr {border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp #yiv5608113239hd {color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px 0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp #yiv5608113239ads {margin-bottom:10px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp .yiv5608113239ad {padding:0 0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp .yiv5608113239ad p {margin:0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mkp .yiv5608113239ad a {color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-sponsor #yiv5608113239ygrp-lc {font-family:Arial;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-sponsor #yiv5608113239ygrp-lc #yiv5608113239hd {margin:10px 0px;font-weight:700;font-size:78%;line-height:122%;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-sponsor #yiv5608113239ygrp-lc .yiv5608113239ad {margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239actions {font-family:Verdana;font-size:11px;padding:10px 0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239activity {background-color:#e0ecee;float:left;font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;padding:10px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239activity span {font-weight:700;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239activity span:first-child {text-transform:uppercase;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239activity span a {color:#5085b6;text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239activity span span {color:#ff7900;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239activity span .yiv5608113239underline {text-decoration:underline;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239attach {clear:both;display:table;font-family:Arial;font-size:12px;padding:10px 0;width:400px;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239attach div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239attach img {border:none;padding-right:5px;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239attach label {display:block;margin-bottom:5px;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239attach label a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 blockquote {margin:0 0 0 4px;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239bold {font-family:Arial;font-size:13px;font-weight:700;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239bold a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 dd.yiv5608113239last p a {font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv5608113239 dd.yiv5608113239last p span {margin-right:10px;font-family:Verdana;font-weight:700;}#yiv5608113239 dd.yiv5608113239last p span.yiv5608113239yshortcuts {margin-right:0;}#yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239attach-table div div a {text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239attach-table {width:400px;}#yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239file-title a, #yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239file-title a:active, #yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239file-title a:hover, #yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239file-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239photo-title a, #yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239photo-title a:active, #yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239photo-title a:hover, #yiv5608113239 div.yiv5608113239photo-title a:visited {text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 div#yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg #yiv5608113239ygrp-msg p a span.yiv5608113239yshortcuts {font-family:Verdana;font-size:10px;font-weight:normal;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239green {color:#628c2a;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239MsoNormal {margin:0 0 0 0;}#yiv5608113239 o {font-size:0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239photos div {float:left;width:72px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239photos div div {border:1px solid #666666;height:62px;overflow:hidden;width:62px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239photos div label {color:#666666;font-size:10px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;white-space:nowrap;width:64px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239reco-category {font-size:77%;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239reco-desc {font-size:77%;}#yiv5608113239 .yiv5608113239replbq {margin:4px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-actbar div a:first-child {margin-right:2px;padding-right:5px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:Arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg table {font-size:inherit;font:100%;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg select, #yiv5608113239 input, #yiv5608113239 textarea {font:99% Arial, Helvetica, clean, sans-serif;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg pre, #yiv5608113239 code {font:115% monospace;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-mlmsg #yiv5608113239logo {padding-bottom:10px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-msg p a {font-family:Verdana;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-msg p#yiv5608113239attach-count span {color:#1E66AE;font-weight:700;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-reco #yiv5608113239reco-head {color:#ff7900;font-weight:700;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-reco {margin-bottom:20px;padding:0px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-sponsor #yiv5608113239ov li a {font-size:130%;text-decoration:none;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-sponsor #yiv5608113239ov li {font-size:77%;list-style-type:square;padding:6px 0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-sponsor #yiv5608113239ov ul {margin:0;padding:0 0 0 8px;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-text {font-family:Georgia;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-text p {margin:0 0 1em 0;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-text tt {font-size:120%;}#yiv5608113239 #yiv5608113239ygrp-vital ul li:last-child {border-right:none !important;}#yiv5608113239

   
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Team,
I have been following this discussion as I had a similar issue sometime ago,
In that case it was to do with using compressed DASD and shadow files which was sorted. However I have added many new volumes to my six pack system and do not use any of the formatting steps, I just allocate the space and format the minidisks in CMS which seems to work just fine. I have not had any problems, am I storing up trouble or is what I am doing ok, as it seems to be.

Regards,
Martin.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Let me guess since you leave us in the dark.

You allocate a CMS minidisk on cylinder 0 and rely on that to set the
volume label that you use in allocating minidisks on the rest of the
volume, right?

Yes, I'd say you have a disaster waiting when someone reformats that
minidisk with another label.

In general, don't let users near cylinder 0 of *anything*.  Create a
one-cylinder minidisk for the label that CP needs; by all means use CMS
to format it, but make sure no one has access to it (no read/write/mult
passwords in the directory).

Even if your system has only one user (your kind self), you should adopt
the role of administrator when logged in as maint; and the role of user
when you log into your own virtual machine.

You did create a class G virtual machine for nonprivileged use, right?

On 05/05/2017 08:08 PM, MTaylorIBM360 [hidden email] [H390-VM]
wrote:

>
>
> Hello Team,
> I have been following this discussion as I had a similar issue sometime ago,
> In that case it was to do with using compressed DASD and shadow files
> which was sorted. However I have added many new volumes to my six pack
> system and do not use any of the formatting steps, I just allocate the
> space and format the minidisks in CMS which seems to work just fine. I
> have not had any problems, am I storing up trouble or is what I am doing
> ok, as it seems to be.
>
> Regards,
> Martin.


------------------------------------

------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/H390-VM/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/H390-VM/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [hidden email]
    [hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello John,
 I did omit to say that no minidisk is allocated starting at cylinder 0, all allocations start at cylinder 1.
 I do all admin work from MAINT all other machines are class G.
 

 Regards,
 Martin.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
On 5 May 2017 at 14:25, 'John P. Hartmann' [hidden email] wrote:
> Let me guess since you leave us in the dark.
>
> You allocate a CMS minidisk on cylinder 0 and rely on that to set the
> volume label that you use in allocating minidisks on the rest of the
> volume, right?

No reason to assume the worst. He probably creates the host file using
the Hercules utility DASDINIT, which labels the volume. And that's
Good Enough to have CP see it and treat all the space as PERM, if not
ideal practice. Then he allocates starting at Cyl 1, and there is no
particular disaster waiting to happen.

Tony H.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: problem adding a new dasd pack

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: 06 May 2017 00:45
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [H390-VM] problem adding a new dasd pack
>
> On 5 May 2017 at 14:25, 'John P. Hartmann' [hidden email] wrote:
> > Let me guess since you leave us in the dark.
> >
> > You allocate a CMS minidisk on cylinder 0 and rely on that to set the
> > volume label that you use in allocating minidisks on the rest of the
> > volume, right?
>
> No reason to assume the worst. He probably creates the host file using the
> Hercules utility DASDINIT, which labels the volume. And that's Good Enough
> to have CP see it and treat all the space as PERM, if not ideal practice.

Why is that not ideal? Does CPFMT put a VTOC that shows no full space?
Its what I tend to do...

> Then
> he allocates starting at Cyl 1, and there is no particular disaster waiting to
> happen.
>

This the important bit.

> Tony H.
>

Dave

>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Tony Harminc <[hidden email]>
> ------------------------------------
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>

Loading...