newbie trying to install myMVS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I purchased a cd off ebay of hercules emulator and installed the myMVS option. When I try to start hercules I get error message

 java.io.IOException Cannot run program C:\myMVS CreateProcess

 error =5 access is denied.

 any help would be appreciated

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
You may want to contact the seller, Buddy Bell, directly at [hidden email].

---In [hidden email], <jkmagouirk@...> wrote :

> I purchased a cd off ebay of Hercules
> emulator and installed the myMVS option.

I'm not familiar with that, but there
is much more support available if
you use something more common,
like TK4-, z/OS or MVS/380 (or a
similar range for VM).

If you can explain what you are
trying to achieve, ie why you bought
this CD, we will be in a better position
to direct you.

BFN. Paul.

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I used to work on OS390 operating system. I know assembler, rexx, jcl among other things. I would like to see if I can get my skills back.

Any help would be appreciated

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
---In [hidden email], <jkmagouirk@...> wrote :

> I used to work on OS390 operating system.
> I know assembler, rexx, jcl among other things.
> I would like to see if I can get my skills back.

Do you want the skills back to get a
job, or just as a hobby?

If you want a job, then it is probably
better to put on your resume that
you have z/OS experience.

To get that, you need to either pay
IBM about US$5000/year for z/PDT
or try to find somewhere to download
a bootleg z/OS ADCD which can run
under Hercules (don't ask me for
the ADCD, I've never even googled it,
nevermind downloaded it).

However, if you don't like those options,
then you can download TK4- or
MVS/380 which, despite having some
old components, have all the things you
mentioned: assembler, rexx, jcl.

Your assembler skills could even be used
to enhance these distributions.

MVS/380 allows you to do 31-bit and
even 64-bit programming. If you don't
have a need for that, then TK4- is the
better distribution and even supports
ftp.

If you want to try either TK4- or
MVS/380 then just say so and someone
will hopefully provide a link (I'm running
an old version of MVS/380 myself, so
I'm not the best person to ask).

BFN. Paul.

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

 I think you are getting that error because the path to the Hercules executable hasn't been set.
 In the Preferences Dialog box, there are two settings. The first one is for the path to the myMVS directory. The second one is where you set the path for Hercules. When setting this, you have to include the program name, e.g. "C:\path\to\herc_dir\hercules.exe".

 I hope that helps some.

 Mark Gutzwiller

---In [hidden email], <jkmagouirk@...> wrote :

 I purchased a cd off ebay of hercules emulator and installed the myMVS option. When I try to start hercules I get error message

 java.io.IOException Cannot run program C:\myMVS CreateProcess

 error =5 access is denied.

 any help would be appreciated

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
TK4- MVS 3.8  should run for you "right-out-of-the-box".

Juergen has done a great job packaging and documenting it

http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/

http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/tk4-_v1.00_current.zip

Mike

On 3/23/17, [hidden email] [hercules-390]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>  I think you are getting that error because the path to the Hercules
> executable hasn't been set.
>  In the Preferences Dialog box, there are two settings. The first one is for
> the path to the myMVS directory. The second one is where you set the path
> for Hercules. When setting this, you have to include the program name, e.g.
> "C:\path\to\herc_dir\hercules.exe".
>

>  The support group is
> https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/VintageBigBlue/info
>

>  I hope that helps some.
>

>  Mark Gutzwiller
>

> ---In [hidden email], <jkmagouirk@...> wrote :
>
>  I purchased a cd off ebay of hercules emulator and installed the myMVS
> option. When I try to start hercules I get error message
>

>  java.io.IOException Cannot run program C:\myMVS CreateProcess
>
>  error =5 access is denied.
>

>  any help would be appreciated

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Make sure that you run as administrator.

ie Right Click on Hercules and "Run as Administrator"

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Mike Stramba [hidden email]

Wayne V. Bickerdike

Re: newbie trying to install myMVS

If running under Linux, su root or sudo hercules....