hyperion cleaning

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Everyone,
 

 I have a problem with hyperion:
 If I start a session on a freshly booted Linux system everything is fine.
 On the contrary starting anew a session of Hyperion when it was
properly exit leads to problems.
 1) tun interface not properly closed.
 2) tcp sessions with hosts 3270 busy.
 3) socket from card reader busy.
 4) 0E printer beheaving badly.
 Those problems don't happen all the time.
 Sometime only one of them but all the time something is wrong

 among that list.
 

 So you could say that the cleaning isn't properly done at the exit.
 What I am doing wrong?
 

 Thanks for your help.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
We don't know, you haven't provided any information to give us a clue.

What actions do you take from the moment you decide to exit until the  moment you believe "it was properly exit"?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Mcisho,
 

 > What actions do you take
 

 Well, I stop z/OS and after I wrote exit into the hercules console
 and press enter.

 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
If that's the best information you can provide then no-one is going to be able to tell what you're doing wrong.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Mcisho,
 

 What do you want to know and from where I have to start?
 

 That has never happen with the same procedure Under hercules 3.12

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list


On 2/19/2017 3:43 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:
>
>
> Hi Everyone,
>
>
> I have a problem with hyperion:
> If I start a session on a freshly booted Linux system everything is fine.
> On the contrary starting anew a session of Hyperion when it was
> properly exit leads to problems.

> 1) tun interface not properly closed.
How do you determine that ?
> 2) tcp sessions with hosts 3270 busy.
How do you determine that ?
> 3) socket from card reader busy.
How do you determine that ?
> 4) 0E printer beheaving badly.
How do you determine that ?
> Those problems don't happen all the time.
> Sometime only one of them but all the time something is wrong
> among that list.
>
--Ivan


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
(pseudo-piggyback)

Ian Shorter wrote:

> If that's the best information you can provide then no-one
> is going to be able to tell what you're doing wrong.

Indeed.

This person who we can only address by their email address ([hidden email]) instead of by their name since they failed to identify who they are should probably take a moment to read the following helpful bit of advice:

   https://github.com/Fish-Git/AskForHelp


Please forgive me who-ever-the-heck-you-are, but I'm not trying to pick on you.  I'm not.  I'm simply using your request for help as a good example of how NOT to ask for help in a public support forum.  And I'm only doing this in order to help YOU.  (And any others who might also be reading this thread)

If you would simply provide more detail you'd have a better chance of finding someone willing, and more importantly, *able*, to actually help you.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list

--------------------------------------------
On Sun, 2/19/17, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Subject: [hercules-390] hyperion cleaning
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 7:43 AM
 
   
       Hi
 Everyone,
 I have a problem with
 hyperion:If I start a session on a freshly booted
 Linux system everything is fine.On the contrary
 starting anew a session of Hyperion when it was
 properly exit leads to problems.1)
 tun interface not properly closed.2) tcp sessions
 with hosts 3270 busy.3) socket from card reader
 busy.4) 0E printer beheaving
 badly.Those problems don't happen all the
 time.Sometime only one of them but all the time
 something is wrong
 among that
 list.
 So you could say
 that the cleaning isn't properly done at the
 exit.What I am doing wrong?
 Thanks for your help.
 
 
     
Person with no name and cant include enough of the post they reply for others to understand what the reply is to


Did you close and and all 3270 windows
close any external socket programs
anything that uses the tun interface,
Basically anything external to hercules that talks to it.

Laddie Hanus
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
OK Guys. Enough.

His name is Jean-Louis. He has put it in previous emails.

Joe

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 3:31 PM, Laddie Hanus [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> --------------------------------------------
> On Sun, 2/19/17, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Subject: [hercules-390] hyperion cleaning
> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Sunday, February 19, 2017, 7:43 AM
>
>
> Hi
> Everyone,
> I have a problem with
> hyperion:If I start a session on a freshly booted
> Linux system everything is fine.On the contrary
> starting anew a session of Hyperion when it was
> properly exit leads to problems.1)
> tun interface not properly closed.2) tcp sessions
> with hosts 3270 busy.3) socket from card reader
> busy.4) 0E printer beheaving
> badly.Those problems don't happen all the
> time.Sometime only one of them but all the time
> something is wrong
> among that
> list.
> So you could say
> that the cleaning isn't properly done at the
> exit.What I am doing wrong?
> Thanks for your help.
>
>
>
> Person with no name and cant include enough of the post they reply for
> others to understand what the reply is to
>
> Did you close and and all 3270 windows
> close any external socket programs
> anything that uses the tun interface,
> Basically anything external to hercules that talks to it.
>
> Laddie Hanus
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
Jean-Louis,

We have a practice on these lists that we sign our name to our emails.
Please adhere, otherwise you will be called no-name.

Joe

On Sun, Feb 19, 2017 at 12:21 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hi Mcisho,
>
> What do you want to know and from where I have to start?
>
> That has never happen with the same procedure Under hercules 3.12
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
> What do you want to know and from where I have to start?

In an earlier message you said you "stop z/OS". The running jobs? JES? Quiesce?

You also said you "wrote exit into the hercules console and press enter". Had the stop z/OS actions completed when you pressed enter? What did you do after you pressed enter?

In summary, I want to see a log of everything you did and everything you saw when you shutdown Hercules.

How long after the first instance of Hercules was shutdown was the second instance of Hercules started? A second? A minute? An hour? And as Ivan asked, how did you determine there were problems?

This is the very minimum of information I, or anyone else, will need.

Ian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Ian,

> In summary, I want to see a log of everything you did and
> everything you saw when you shutdown Hercules.
Before everything, sorry to call you Mcisho.

Now, with z/OS :

- All batches finished.

- All remote connection closed but the console.

s shutall

        *00.25.29          *02 BPXI078D STOP OF ZFS REQUESTED. REPLY 'Y' TO

        * PROCEED. ANY OTHER REPLY WILL CANCEL THIS STOP.                  

r 2,y

        00.26.05           $HASP099 ALL AVAILABLE FUNCTIONS COMPLETE

$p jes2

        00.26.50           IEF404I JES2 - ENDED - TIME=00.26.50

z eod

        00.27.29           IEE334I HALT EOD SUCCESSFUL

quiesce

Hercules:

As I said previously I typed ‘exit’ (without the inverted commas)

And everything was fine. I mean nothing unusual on the screen and the last line before the prompt is the same as the last line of the log that you can see at : http://www.stben.net/hercules/h2.log

The ‘next’ morning I restarted Hercules and it restarted with communication errors as you can see at: http://www.stben.net/hercules/h3.log

So, I stopped hercules with exit and that time it crashed with a segmentation fault trying to close a socket it never succeeded to open.

 

Another thing when it opens an interface, here tun0, with an IPV4 and an IPV6 address it add a route statement for the IPV4 but not for the IPV6.

 

Don’t bother to do anything for _ME_ because my copy of hercules is behaving properly now. The only purpose of this message is to state facts.

Bye,

Jean-Louis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Jean Noel,

Please do a netstat -anp (from a root user) to see who is tying up port
3270.

--Ivan


On 2/22/2017 12:23 PM, 'Jean-Louis Noel' [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> As I said previously I typed ‘exit’ (without the inverted commas)
>
> And everything was fine. I mean nothing unusual on the screen and the
> last line before the prompt is the same as the last line of the log
> that you can see at : http://www.stben.net/hercules/h2.log
>
> The ‘next’ morning I restarted Hercules and it restarted with
> communication errors as you can see at:
> http://www.stben.net/hercules/h3.log
>
>



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Ivan,

 

> Please do a netstat -anp

 

Pay attention that the logs were from the 20th!

There you are: http://www.stben.net/hercules/netstat.txt

 

Bye,

Jean-Louis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Ivan,

 

> to see who is tying up port 3270

 

It could be you if you use a 3270 emulation terminal to connect to ns.stben.net:3270 but, use the IPV4 address because hyperon doesn’t respond in IPV6.

 

Now, being serious it’s the console task.

 

CNSLPORT  3270



#********************************************************************

# DISPLAY TERMINALS                                                 *

#********************************************************************

0700    3270 CONSOLE    10.149.85.0 255.255.255.0

0701    3270 MTSO       10.149.85.0 255.255.255.0

0702    3270 CICS       10.149.85.0 255.255.255.0

0704.13 3270

 

Bye,

Jean-Louis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
On 2/22/2017 1:21 PM, 'Jean-Louis Noel' [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

>
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> >to see who is tying up port 3270
>
> It could be you if you use a 3270 emulation terminal to connect to
> ns.stben.net:3270 but, use the IPV4 address because hyperon doesn’t
> respond in IPV6.
>
> Now, being serious it’s the console task.
>
>
Jean Noel,

If I were to connect to port 3270 on your system, that would't tie it
up. It is tied up because hercules is attempting to bind[*] to local
address *:3270 but there is already another process bound to that
address. *:3270 means "IP_ADDR_ANY Port 3270" and usually used in
conjunction with a "listen()" to allow inbound connections to port 3270.

[*] The listen/server socket in the case of hercules is created/modified
with the SOCK_ADDR_REUSE flag that it is not prevented from binding even
if there are other sockets in the TIME_WAIT[**] state using that same port.
[**] a socket in TIME_WAIT state is a TCP session which has terminated.
However, because it is possible for some amount of time to still receive
extraneous datagrams, the TCP layer will keep a ghost version active
(usually for 30 seconds or so) so as to prevent the TCP stack from
flooding the network with "FIN" or "FIN/ACK" packets. However, without
ADDR_REUSE, the port is still going to be bound.

That's why we need the status of "netstat -anp" when you receive the
hercules message "HHC01023W Waiting for port 3270 to become free for
console connections"

If you have more than one instance running on your system, you need to
specify a different port for your inbound tn3270 connection on your
other instance. Note that you can specify any port that is not in use in
the range 1024-65535 if not running as root (ports 0-1023 are reserved
for privileged use).

--Ivan


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Ivan,

 

> That's why we need the status of "netstat -anp" when you receive

> the hercules message "HHC01023W Waiting for port 3270 to

> become free for console connections",___

 

Only hercules uses the port 3270 on that machine.

And, as I stated on the first mail, it won’t happen again, I hope so, because I think I fixed it.

 

Bye,

Jean-Louis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: hyperion cleaning

Hercules390 - General mailing list


On 2/22/2017 3:20 PM, 'Jean-Louis Noel' [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

>
>
> Hi Ivan,
>
> >That's why we need the status of "netstat -anp" when you receive
>
> > the hercules message "HHC01023W Waiting for port 3270 to
>
> > become free for console connections",___
>
> Only hercules uses the port 3270 on that machine.
>
> And, as I stated on the first mail, it won’t happen again, I hope so,
> because I think I fixed it.
>
>
Jean Noel,

What was the fix ? Any issue with hercules ? Any issue terminating
hercules and hercules freeing the port ? (the port should be
automatically freed once all threads in the process have terminated).

--Ivan


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Loading...