checking CMS minidisks for problems

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
I had some sort of event happen on my VM/ESA 1.5 (370 FEATURE) that left me with some case where I found minidisks were corrupted and yielded read errors when attempting to access files.  I have restored from backup the two minidisks I was certain were corrupted, but I would prefer not to have to restore others unless I can determine they have problems.

Is there either a VM utility or a hercules utility that can perform a sanity check on a minidisk file, preferably including a read test of files?

Dave

Re: checking CMS minidisks for problems

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hi, There is a MDCHECK MODULE that checks the integrity of a CMS mini-disk
file system. Look for it on your CMS source disk(MAINT 3B2). If you are
running VM, I strongly recommend using SDL Hyperian 4.0.0.8597 or higher.
It fixes all kinds of disk and memory corruption issues.
Best regards,

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 1:03 PM, [hidden email] [H390-VM] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had some sort of event happen on my VM/ESA 1.5 (370 FEATURE) that left
> me with some case where I found minidisks were corrupted and yielded read
> errors when attempting to access files.  I have restored from backup the
> two minidisks I was certain were corrupted, but I would prefer not to have
> to restore others unless I can determine they have problems.
>
> Is there either a VM utility or a hercules utility that can perform a
> sanity check on a minidisk file, preferably including a read test of files?
>
> Dave

Re: checking CMS minidisks for problems

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Unfortunately that minidisk is not part of my system.  I did a search of the various maint minidisks without finding a copy of the MDCHECK MODULE anywhere.  Would this be sufficiently self-contained that you or someone else could make a copy available for me to add to my system?  A copy of the HELP files to go with it would also be appreciated.

Dave

Re: checking CMS minidisks for problems

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hi, This module is dated 1993 and uses Diagnose x'A4' and x'A8''. I don't
think the 370 feature supports them. Why not simply create a same size
minidisk and do a 'Copyfile * * x = = z (oldd' and then a 'Listfile (D' and
compare the results ? Any discrepancy would show in the number of files and
blocks used.
Best regards,

On 2/28/2017 7:03 PM, [hidden email] [H390-VM] wrote:

> I had some sort of event happen on my VM/ESA 1.5 (370 FEATURE) that
> left me with some case where I found minidisks were corrupted and
> yielded read errors when attempting to access files.  I have restored
> from backup the two minidisks I was certain were corrupted, but I
> would prefer not to have to restore others unless I can determine they
> have problems.
>
> Is there either a VM utility or a hercules utility that can perform a
> sanity check on a minidisk file, preferably including a read test of
> files?
>
> Dave
Dave,

This won't fix your problem - but the only event I know that would
actually corrupt a CMS minidisk is if it has been accessed R/W
simultaneously by more than 1 instance of CMS (in which case it is nigh
impossible to recover).

--Ivan

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: checking CMS minidisks for problems

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list

> Is there either a VM utility or a hercules utility that can perform a sanity
> check on a minidisk file, preferably including a read test of files?

There is mention of a utility called STATX in the VMSHARE archives at:

http://vm.marist.edu/~vmshare/vmshare

I'm not sure whether this would still be useful or where you would find it
now but having the name of it may be helpful.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.

On 1 March 2017 at 11:02, Ivan Warren [hidden email] wrote:

>> On 2/28/2017 7:03 PM, [hidden email] [H390-VM] wrote:
>>
>> I had some sort of event happen on my VM/ESA 1.5 (370 FEATURE) that left me
>> with some case where I found minidisks were corrupted and yielded read
>> errors when attempting to access files.  I have restored from backup the two
>> minidisks I was certain were corrupted, but I would prefer not to have to
>> restore others unless I can determine they have problems.
>>
>> Is there either a VM utility or a hercules utility that can perform a sanity
>> check on a minidisk file, preferably including a read test of files?

> This won't fix your problem - but the only event I know that would actually
> corrupt a CMS minidisk is if it has been accessed R/W simultaneously by more
> than 1 instance of CMS (in which case it is nigh impossible to recover).

It's perhaps worth thinking about whether this "event" was at the CMS
(or CP) level, or the Hercules level. It's entirely possible that the
real (at the Hercules-provided S/370 machine level) disk was corrupted
because of some event in CKD or CCKD processing, or the underlying
host file processing. If the problem is localized enough, it could
easily manifest itself as errors within one or a small number of what
happen to be minidisks.

Dave, do you have any idea of the nature of your event, even perhaps
with 20-20 hindsight? Something like an unplanned shutdown of Hercules
could do this, whereas an unplanned shutdown of VM (or unexpected
logoff of a VM user) would not be expected to.

Tony H.