Wireless adapters supported by CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Wireless adapters supported by CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Hercules390 - General mailing list
HI

 I have had laptops for the last couple of years, and when upgrading I have had no problem with CTCI-WIN
 and a wireless connection this time I could find something more than quad core in a laptop so I went to desktop, it had a USB wireless connection which apparently I can not connect to. I have a netgear AC1200 Wfi USB adapter. could anyone tell me what wireless adapters work with CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

 Thanks

Re: Wireless adapters supported by CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hello!
None of them.
For that a special series of routines are needed. And it costs real money.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI
>

> I have had laptops for the last couple of years, and when upgrading I have
> had no problem with CTCI-WIN
>
> and a wireless connection this time I could find something more than quad
> core in a laptop so I went to desktop, it had a USB wireless connection
> which apparently I can not connect to. I have a netgear AC1200 Wfi USB
> adapter. could anyone tell me what wireless adapters work with
> CTCI-WIN/WinPcap
>

> Thanks
>

> ________________________________
> Posted by: [hidden email]
> ________________________________

RE: Wireless adapters supported by CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Gregg

I know you are referring to AirpCap but I have used CTCI-WIN with wireless laptops

I just tried winpcap 4.1.3 and the latest CTCI and even with a ethernet adapter when I ping the Hercules ip address with Hercules up I time out

On my windows 10 computer not so on my laptop running windows 8.1

For that a special series of routines are needed. And it costs real money.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 2:00 PM, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>  [hercules-390]
<[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> > wrote:

> HI
>

> I have had laptops for the last couple of years, and when upgrading I have
> had no problem with CTCI-WIN
>
> and a wireless connection this time I could find something more than quad
> core in a laptop so I went to desktop, it had a USB wireless connection
> which apparently I can not connect to. I have a netgear AC1200 Wfi USB
> adapter. could anyone tell me what wireless adapters work with
> CTCI-WIN/WinPcap
>

> Thanks
>

> ________________________________
> Posted by: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> ________________________________

RE: Wireless adapters supported by CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Joe Reichman wrote:

[...]
> could anyone tell me what wireless adapters
> work with CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Please see question 16 of the WinPCap FAQ:

  http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16

Please also refer to the last two paragraphs of question 22 as well:

  http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-22

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories

Gregg Levine wrote:

> Hello!
> None of them.
> For that a special series of routines are needed.
> And it costs real money.

That might not be strictly true Gregg, from what I understand.  SOME people have claimed to have been able to use WinPCap just fine with wireless adapters.

Others however (myself included) have never had any luck with them.  A couple years(?) ago I tried two different wireless adapters and couldn't get either one to work.

So the more correct answer is probably "SOME of them".  Whether a given wireless adapter will work with CTCI-WIN (WinPCap) all depends on how it's designed.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]

RE: Wireless adapters supported by CTCI-WIN/WinPcap

Joe Reichman wrote:

[...]
> I just tried winpcap 4.1.3 and the latest CTCI and even
> with a ethernet adapter when I ping the Hercules ip address
> with Hercules up I time out

Please follow directions.

DON'T mess with Hercules until you have first confirmed CTCI-WIN is properly installed and functioning properly.  You do this by performing a TTTest "Ping test" in both directions to/from both your TTTest host as well as to/from some other workstation on your local network.

This is all covered in the "Using TTTest" chapter of the provided CTCI-WIN Help file.

Maybe I need to make this subject/topic more prominent in the Help file?