Quantcast

Where I get hercules.cnf file?

A - R - U - N

Dear All,

        1. May I know where I can get advance/latest version of Hercules. I get one from "http://www.hercules-390.org/" I installed it but its asking for hercules.cnf file...since its not there so its not working....where i can get this Hercules.cnf file?
        2. Do we have separate Z/OS package for Hercules or just I can go with Z/OS which we use for real mainframe system?

        3. Do we have any site for Z/OS which we use for Hercules?

Thanks
Arunkumar  L

SYSPROC Z/OS

Mainframe and DBA Services,
Affiliated Computer Services Inc.

Re: Where I get hercules.cnf file?

scott-21
On 01/01/2010 01:13 PM, A - R - U - N wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> 1. May I know where I can get advance/latest version of Hercules. I get one from "http://www.hercules-390.org/" I installed it but its asking for hercules.cnf file...since its not there so its not working....where i can get this Hercules.cnf file?

   This you have to build yourself and it is a simple text file.  See
http://www.hercules-390.org/hercconf.html  and you can build it using
any text editor.  It is the interface between your operating system
running under hercules and the operating system you are running on your PC.

> 2. Do we have separate Z/OS package for Hercules or just I can go with Z/OS which we use for real mainframe system?

   There is no z/OS package for hercules.  You have to get that on your
own and get the license to run it from IBM on hercules.  Good luck with
that one as I have never heard of IBM allowing this!
> 3. Do we have any site for Z/OS which we use for Hercules?

  See above.

> Thanks
> Arunkumar  L
>
> SYSPROC Z/OS
>
> Mainframe and DBA Services,
> Affiliated Computer Services Inc.

Re: Where I get hercules.cnf file?

Laddie Hanus

--- In [hidden email], A - R - U - N <itecharun@...> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> 1. May I know where I can get advance/latest version of Hercules. I get one from "http://www.hercules-390.org/" I installed it but its asking for hercules.cnf file...since its not there so its not working....where i can get this Hercules.cnf file?

Read
http://www.hercules-390.org/hercconf.html

3.06 is the latest released version A newer version is being worked on a pointer to the snapshots of this work is in the links section of this group. Since you are just starting you probably want to stay with 3.06 unless you run into a problem that has been already been fixed.

> 2. Do we have separate Z/OS package for Hercules

Anything newer thsn MVS 3.8 from IBM is licensed software and you need a license from IBM to run it. IBM as a general rule does not license its software to run under hercules.

> or just I can go with Z/OS which we use for real mainframe system?

It is possible to copy it but such copying would be a violation of the original license agreement. Assuming you use z/OS at work IBM could cancel your employers license agreement

> 3. Do we have any site for Z/OS which we use for Hercules?

Not legally

THe mvs-turnkey is the old MVS 3.8 from the 70's and is a prebuilt system to get you started. Use hercules 3.06 instead of the version of hercules included. Note that a lot of things that you may consider part of MVS (i.e. ISPF, SDSF, DB2, ect) is licensed software and not installed on the turnkey. Subsitutes may be installed (i.e. RPF for ISPF)

The hercules-390.org website has a lot of documentation I suggest you read it before proceeding further. clink on the installation and operation page to start.