VSE & zVM on CDs

syncmf
Hi,
I have zVM 4.4 and VSE 7.2 on DVDs in the new format suitable for FLEX
 mainframe. Does anybody know how to convert the files from these
disks to the ADCD standard files known by Hercules, or there is any
utility by which I can install the disks images on my WIN PC.
Thanks,
Gennady Lapidus

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

Jay Maynard
On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 07:00:35PM -0000, syncmf wrote:
> I have zVM 4.4 and VSE 7.2 on DVDs in the new format suitable for FLEX
>  mainframe. Does anybody know how to convert the files from these
> disks to the ADCD standard files known by Hercules, or there is any
> utility by which I can install the disks images on my WIN PC.

I'm going to assume that your license allows this. You should make sure
before proceeding.

There is a utility in the files area for this group on Yahoo! Groups that
converts Flex-style CKD files to AWSCKD. Look for awsckdconv.

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

Volker Bandke

syncmf said the following on 05/23/2005 09:00 PM:
| Hi,
| I have zVM 4.4 and VSE 7.2 on DVDs in the new format suitable for FLEX
|  mainframe.

Fine for you.

| Does anybody know how to convert the files from these
| disks to the ADCD standard files known by Hercules, or there is any
| utility by which I can install the disks images on my WIN PC.

Sure.  If you legally have the programs you claim to "own", you have a
Flex-ES system as well.  Now follow the following steps exactly:

Make sure that you have a license to run those OS on non-Flex Emulators.  I
don't know z/VM and/or VSE, thus cannot tell.  For z/OS ADCD set I don't
know of any legitimate way.  IF the above are ADCD systems, just stop here.

Fire up Flex-ES and IPL z/VM
Use the normal OS utilities for dumping disks to aws-tape
use a Stand Alone utility under Hercules to restore the aws tape to your
emulator environment

If possible, install cckddump and use this.  It removes the need to restore

Fire up Flex-ES and IPL VSE
dump and restore as above

voila

| Thanks,
| Gennady Lapidus

Gennady Lapidus from Metaque Ltd. ?

You are welcome.

- --

~     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
~                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
~     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
~      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)

~     A flying particle will seek the nearest eye.

~     (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

mvs4winxp
Hi Volker,
  The zVM 4.4 on DVDs that syncmf talking about is from IBM DEMOpkg
which is different from ADCD.

  The DEMOpkg (z/OS, z/VM, SuSE zLinux etc...) comes in FLEX-ES
format while ADCD comes in ckdbackup format.

  No matter DEMOpkg or ADCD, the license is restricted to FLEX-ES
emulator only.

--- In [hidden email], Volker Bandke <vbandke@b...>
wrote:

> syncmf said the following on 05/23/2005 09:00 PM:
> | Hi,
> | I have zVM 4.4 and VSE 7.2 on DVDs in the new format suitable
for FLEX
> |  mainframe.
>
> Fine for you.
>
> | Does anybody know how to convert the files from these
> | disks to the ADCD standard files known by Hercules, or there is
any
> | utility by which I can install the disks images on my WIN PC.
>
> Sure.  If you legally have the programs you claim to "own", you
have a
> Flex-ES system as well.  Now follow the following steps exactly:
>
> Make sure that you have a license to run those OS on non-Flex
Emulators.  I
> don't know z/VM and/or VSE, thus cannot tell.  For z/OS ADCD set I
don't
> know of any legitimate way.  IF the above are ADCD systems, just
stop here.

> Fire up Flex-ES and IPL z/VM
> Use the normal OS utilities for dumping disks to aws-tape
> use a Stand Alone utility under Hercules to restore the aws tape
to your
> emulator environment
>
> If possible, install cckddump and use this.  It removes the need
to restore

> Fire up Flex-ES and IPL VSE
> dump and restore as above
>

> voila
>
> | Thanks,
> | Gennady Lapidus
>
> Gennady Lapidus from Metaque Ltd. ?
>
> You are welcome.
>
> - --
>
> ~     With kind Regards            |\      _,,,---,,_
> ~                            ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,
> ~     Volker Bandke               |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
> ~      (BSP GmbH)                '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
>
> ~     A flying particle will seek the nearest eye.
>
> ~     (Another Wisdom from my fortune cookie jar)

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

Volker Bandke

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

mvs4winxp

> |   The DEMOpkg (z/OS, z/VM, SuSE zLinux etc...) comes in FLEX-ES
> | format while ADCD comes in ckdbackup format.
>
> Don't think this is true. The ADCD  z/OS set is in (gzipped) FlexES
> Software. (This one I know). I never saw the demo package, thus
> can only speculate. I once tried to get a copy from my friendly
> IBM contact, but he needed to enter a machine code and serial
> number on which DemoPkg would run.
> ~ Obviously, there is no such thing for Hercules, whatever the
> license implications are.

Well, the DEMOpkg comes in gzipped FLEX-ES format. Once we gunzip
it, we can IPL the system directly.
However for ADCD (the latest z/OS V1.6) , the volumes are in
ckdbackup FLEX-ES format. Once we gunzip them, we *still* need
to "ckdrestore" it and it will become normal FLEX-ES format.
Is it clear ?

> | No matter DEMOpkg or ADCD, the license is restricted to FLEX-ES
> | emulator only.
>
> In other words, anyone requesting a utility for converting from
> Flex-Es to ADCD format is pirating the software. I am sorry I even
> answered syncmf's post giving him a working solution.

No, I disagree with you at this point.
Converting from FLEX-ES to AWSCKD format doesn't mean anything.
Perform conversion between FLEX-ES and AWSCKD doesn't against any
license or laws.
The only problem is IF AND ONLY IF you run the IBM z/OS or z/VM
systems using a non-authorized emulator, then you're against the
license!
(You can refer to the detailed license terms from the ADCD website)

Thanks very much!

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

mvs4winxp
Hi Volker,

> |   The DEMOpkg (z/OS, z/VM, SuSE zLinux etc...) comes in FLEX-ES
> | format while ADCD comes in ckdbackup format.
>
> Don't think this is true. The ADCD  z/OS set is in (gzipped) Flex-ES
> Software. (This one I know).  I never saw the demo package, thus can
> only speculate. I once tried to get a copy from my friendly IBM
> contact, but he needed to enter a machine code and serial number on
> which DemoPkg would run.
> ~ Obviously, there is no such thing for Hercules, whatever the
> license implications are.

Some more information for you:
------------------------------
DEMOpkg is only for IBM internal use while ADCD is available for
Partner World and public customers.
Since DEMOpkg is only for IBM employees, the license restriction is
more lenient than ADCD.
Take z/OS for example, there are two types of DEMOpkg:
 -DEMOpkg for mainframe machines (3490 tapes)
 -DEMOpkg zSeries for FLEX-ES     (DVDs)

DEMOpkg is a fully functional system especially designed for IBM
employees to provide demonstration to customers, in order to gain
more business.

To order DEMOpkg for FLEX-ES, the requestor (he MUST be IBM
employee) "MUST" have a FLEX-ES license. That's why when placing
DEMOpkg order, the following required information must be provided:
Machine Type: FLEX
Machine Model: (leave blank)
Machine Serial: The FLEX-ES Dongle Number

Thanks!

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

somitcw
   If IBM says that DEMOPkg is only for IBM then
how can IBM say that IBM is not allowed to use
IBM's software on the platform that IBM pleases?

   i.e. IBM does not need to license IBM software
to itself.  IBM can put restrictions on how
employees use IBM software or other software for
work purposes, but that has nothing to do with
a license.

   For DEMOpkg, why not let IBM fight with IBM
on how to license IBM software to IBM and we
just attempt assist using Hercules where we
can and stay out of IBM politics.  Until some
new law is invented that says that a company
cannot license its own software to itself, we
should assume that IBM is legal.

--- In [hidden email],
 "mvs4winxp" <mvs4winxp@y...> wrote:

> Hi Volker,
>> | The DEMOpkg (z/OS, z/VM, SuSE zLinux etc...)
>> | comes in FLEX-ES format while ADCD comes in
>> | ckdbackup format.
>> Don't think this is true. The ADCD  z/OS set
>>is in (gzipped) Flex-ES Software. (This one I
>>know).  I never saw the demo package, thus can
>>only speculate. I once tried to get a copy
>>from my friendly IBM contact, but he needed
>>to enter a machine code and serial number on
>>which DemoPkg would run.
>> ~ Obviously, there is no such thing for
>>Hercules, whatever the license implications
>>are.
> Some more information for you:
> ------------------------------
> DEMOpkg is only for IBM internal use while
>>ADCD is available for Partner World and
>>public customers.
> Since DEMOpkg is only for IBM employees, the
>license restriction is more lenient than ADCD.
> Take z/OS for example, there are two types of DEMOpkg:
>  -DEMOpkg for mainframe machines (3490 tapes)
>  -DEMOpkg zSeries for FLEX-ES     (DVDs)
> DEMOpkg is a fully functional system
>especially designed for IBM employees to
>provide demonstration to customers, in
>order to gain more business.
> To order DEMOpkg for FLEX-ES, the requestor
>(he MUST be IBM employee) "MUST" have a FLEX-ES
>license. That's why when placing DEMOpkg order,
>the following required information must be
>provided:
> Machine Type: FLEX
> Machine Model: (leave blank)
> Machine Serial: The FLEX-ES Dongle Number
> Thanks!

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

Volker Bandke

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: VSE & zVM on CDs

mvs4winxp
You have raised a good point !

For each IBM employee to order DEMOpkg, he/she has to agree the
following terms:
"By confirmation of this order I Agree that the Software contained
in this DEMOpkg will be used for DEMONSTRATION or TRAINING PURPOSES
ONLY. I will not use this software for production, personal use or
give it to a customer. I understand that failure to comply is a
violation of IBM contract agreements and I can be held responsible."

DEMOpkg
Need to demonstrate IBM software to your customer? Need to learn and
understand IBM software? DEMOpkg is right for you! DEMOpkg provides
the tools you need to build, demonstrate, and sell IBM software
solutions. Our DEMOpkg offerings are packaged in a compact format
for easy, quick installation and access. Best of all, DEMOpkgs are
available at no charge for IBM Internal Use and customer
demonstration purposes.

OK, for your question, I should emphasize one key point:
For IBM employees, "proper" use of IBM's own software is definitely
no problem! However, IBM must protect itself, so it set some "rules"
to prevent those employees from using its software in the "wrong"
way. It sounds very reasonable!

As I know, many IBM employees hate FLEX-ES since it lacks of
flexibility. FLEX-ES need to be run under Linux. However, almost
100% of IBM's salesman are using Thinkpad with WindowsXP installed.
That's why Hercules is preferred.

Of course, IBM retains the right to "punish" those employees
violating the software license. However, once their actions are
beneficial to IBM's business and revenue, who cares ?

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules