VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

12

VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Team,
 I have been attempting to install KICKS for CMS but have been defeated by a VSAM CATALOG problem.
 Part of the install is the creation of VSAM sample files. The creation of the catalog is successful but after that all other attempts fail. I cut out the failing commands in an attempt to debug the problem, which seem to adhere to the correct syntax and placement. I can recreate the problem using a simple set of commands invoking a LISTCAT. They are as follows;

 LINK KICKS 194 194     -  Link to DOS format disk containing the VSAM Catalog
 ACC 194 O                    -  Access the Disk
 SET DOS ON (VSAM    -  Turn on CMS/DOS indicate VSAM usage
 ASSGN SYSCAT O       - Assign Logical device used for VSAM MASTER CATALOG
 DLBL IJSYSCT    O DSN MASTCAT ( SYSCAT  - DLBL for the Master Catalog
 AMSERV LISTCAT       -  LISTCAT ALL job

 A Logical Unit display shows....
 listio SYSCAT
 SYSCAT  O

 A list of DOS Volume shows......
 listds o
FM DATA SET NAME
O  Z9999996.VSAMDSPC.TD218157.T3FF7AB0
O  Z9999992.VSAMDSPC.TD218158.T71B1AB0

 A DLBL display shows......
 dlbl
DDNAME  MODE LOGUNIT  TYPE CATALOG EXT VOL BUFSPC PERM DISK  DATASET.NAME
IJSYSCT  O1        SYSCAT   VSAM IJSYSCT                                   NO      DOS  MASTCAT

 The AMSERV job when run produces the following error message.....

 4228I FILE IJSYSCT    OPEN  ERROR X'B4'(180)

 I am not sure which, in a CMS/DOS environment, part of the X'B4'  error applies as all seem to be correct. The explanation below is the best I could find.....

 X'B4' 180 Return Code=08 Action=OPEN
 An error occurred in opening a catalog or CRA. Possible causes for this error code are: An attempt to get virtual storage failed An I/0 error occurred while VSAM was reading the VTOC An extent block is not availabe in the system Unable to assign a logical unit The system lock table or system lock file of an I/0 error was detected on the system lock file More than one volume with the same volume identifier (volume serial number) is mounted on the system. PROGRAMMER ACTION: Specify SIZE on the EXEC statement to provide adequate GETVIS space. Ensure that the correct volume was mounted; check your job control statements defining the catalog of CRA for possible errors. Correct any errors and rerun the job. If the error occurred although the correct volume was mounted and there was no job control error, restore the catalog by using a backup copy or the catalog recovery function.

 The AMSERV listing has the following....

 IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 4 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLAD-2

 The return code 4 is OPEN/CLOSE processing and the 2 is
   "An error occurred while opening a new catalog that is being defined, or the master catalog."
 Again this is from z none-VM/370 source so applicability is unknown.

 I have had one success, not sure how, where a DELETE/DEFINE job ran successfully. I did note that in that case the EXT column of the DLBL display contained a value of 1.

 Any Ideas ?

 Regards,
 Martin.

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

---In [hidden email], <mtayloribm360@...> wrote :

 > I have been attempting to install KICKS for CMS but have been defeated by a VSAM CATALOG problem.

 <snipped>

 > Any Ideas ?

 On which DASD do you store your VSAM catalog? On the DASD of CMSUSER or some other DASD? Which version of Hercules do you use? Because I faced that problem with the Sixpack before and my (possible) solution depends on the answers to those questions.

 Rene FERLAND, Montreal

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Sounds like the problem occurs running POSTVSAM EXEC. Most problems I've seen there stem from an issue in the PREVSAM EXEC run. You can run PREVSAM over and see if any issues are noted.

There are a number of "errors" that go by as you run POSTVSAM, they should all be deleteing things that do not exist (which is OK).

POSTVSAM can't be rerun without first running PREVSAM. That's because I never figured out how to delete a usercat, so need to reformat the disk it's on...

Can you capture & post screen shots of what is going in in POSTVSAM (after a clean PREVSAM run).

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
You might also want to see
http://kicksfortso.com/same/KooKbooK/KooKbooK-14.htm http://kicksfortso.com/same/KooKbooK/KooKbooK-14.htm
for some explanation of the PREVSAM/POSTVSAM workings...

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Rene,
In answer to your questions I created a new userid KICKS and gave it its own 3350 pack. I allocated 10 cylinders to the 191 and 115 cylinders to 194 and 195. The 194 was formatted as per the KICKS installation job PREVSAM, the 195 is a standard CMS minidisk. All this was done using Hercules 3.07

Regards,
Martin.

Sent from my iPad

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
"All this was done using Hercules 3.07"

Why don't you at least come up to current release standards? 3.12 is the
current release...

http://www.hercules-390.eu

Joe

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 4:05 AM, MTaylorIBM360 [hidden email]
[H390-VM] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Rene,
> In answer to your questions I created a new userid KICKS and gave it its
> own 3350 pack. I allocated 10 cylinders to the 191 and 115 cylinders to 194
> and 195. The 194 was formatted as per the KICKS installation job PREVSAM,
> the 195 is a standard CMS minidisk. All this was done using Hercules 3.07
>
> Regards,
> Martin.
>
> Sent from my iPad

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Joe,
Why not use 3.12 ? Well plenty of people still use 3.07 and I haven't, as yet had any problems using it. Also I do work on an Apple G5 for which 3.07 is last supported release.  I did try to build 3.12 on the G5 but ran into a C environment issue, and as I do not want to spend time on that sort of problem I continued with a version that was supported.

Regards,
Martin.

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello mikenoel37,
I do have a console trace of POSTVSAM which shows that the problem exists in the following LOADxxx execs. The catalog and space defines are run successfully, it is the execution of the LOADxxx exec which don't . I  took these execs to bits and from them "distilled" out  the basic error. I then recreated the error using a simple LISTCAT example. It seems that although the master catalog is allocated via DLBL and assigned via ASSGN the AMSERV processes does not see/have access to it.

Regards,
Martin.

 Subject: Re: [H390-VM] Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment
 To: [hidden email]
 Date: Tuesday, February 14, 2017, 10:52 AM

 Hello Joe,
 Why not use 3.12 ? Well plenty of people still use 3.07 and
 I haven't, as yet had any problems using it. Also I do work
 on an Apple G5 for which 3.07 is last supported
 release.  I did try to build 3.12 on the G5 but ran
 into a C environment issue, and as I do not want to spend
 time on that sort of problem I continued with a version that
 was supported.

Hello Martin,

I was about to say the same thing to Joe but you did it before me. :-)

As I said, I faced a similar problem. I had created a DOSUSER virtual machine on a new 3350 pack, OS-initialized one of its minidisk and stored a VSAM catalog with a few VSAM data sets (following Mike procedures). Everything went fine until I shutdown VM/370 and Hercules and tried to use my virtual machine and the VSAM data sets the next day. Then I got the same message as you.

The problem seemed Hercules-related since it happened only if I closed Hercules, not with just a LOGOFF/LOGON or even IPL/re-IPL. Using the later Hercules at the time (3.09 or 3.10, if I recall correctly) did not solve the problem. Then I asked myself, why is it working for Mike anyway? Well, because he's using the CMSUSER virtual machine to install KICKS. Indeed, if you OS-initialized one of the CMSUSER minidisk and store a VSAM catalog on it, it works fine whether you close Hercules or not! Mike got lucky somehow. The difference is in the DASDs. I did a dasdls on both; for the CMSUSER dasd I got

F4DSCB record not found

while for my DOSUSER dasd I got

vm3350-B.6f2.cckd: VOLSER=VM50-B
VOL1

I tried to create a DASD with "F4DSCB record not found" but never succeeded. In the end, I decided to make a copy on Windows and relabel (but not format) the DASD with IPL FORMAT S on VM/370. Later, I discovered that the problem disappeared if I used Hercules 3.12 (on Windows because indeed, on my iMac, I can not compile it either). So, from what you say above, my suggestion is to start over from scratch your KICKS install using Hercules 3.07 and a properly relabeled copy of vm3350-6.6f0.cckd. It worked for my DOSUSER virtual machine and hopefully will for you. :-)

Rene FERLAND, Montreal

P.S. -- If you wish, I can send you a copy of my relabeled DASD.

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Rene,
Thanks for that very informative update. I shall look into, and if possible, try to determine  why CMSUSER's minidisks differ in their structure. If I don't make any headway I'll message up offline for a copy of your disk.

Regards,
Martin.

Well LOADTAC is the easiest, so how about make a copy of it called LOADXXX, change the leading &CONTROL OFF to &CONTROL ALL, run it, get screen shots and post them?

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
In order to get a DASD without F4DSCB record:

dasdinit -z vol001.cckd 3350 vol001 (compressed dasd)

or

dasdinit vol001.ckd 3350 vol001 (not compressed)

Regards

Paul

KICKS paid support is also available. Email me off list if interested.

On Wed, 2/15/17, [hidden email] [H390-VM] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 In order to get a DASD without F4DSCB record:

 dasdinit -z vol001.cckd 3350 vol001 (compressed dasd)

Well :-( it works :-)

 But I know I did not copy the DASD for nothing, I don't remember what the h*** I was doing back then to fail...

Anyway thanks Paul.

Rebe FERLAND, MOntreal

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Here's what I get when I run it...

LOADXXX
&FCT = FCT=1$
EXEC KTESTS SET GLOBALS FOR ZVM/VM37 ETC
CP/CMS COMMAND 'SET IMSG' NOT ALLOWED.
CP/CMS COMMAND 'SET EMSG' NOT ALLOWED.
CP/CMS COMMAND 'SET BLIP' NOT ALLOWED.
GLOBAL TXTLIB KIKULOD KIKSLOD KIKURPL KIKSRPL KIKSAMPL
KUNSTK MAKE SURE STACK IS EMPTY
LOAD KFDEFLT ( NOMAP
START * FCT=1$
Execution begins...
&READ VARS &CATUSER &CATLNK1 &CATLNK2 &CATPASS &CATFM &CATVOL &ME
SET DOS OFF
ERASE TACDATA DATA
File 'TACDATA DATA' not found.
+++ R(00028) +++
FILEDEF * CLEAR
FILEDEF SYSIN TERM ( RECFM F BLOCK 80 LRECL 80
FILEDEF SYSTERM TERM ( RECFM F BLOCK 80 LRECL 80
FILEDEF SYSPRINT DISK TACDATA DATA A ( RECFM F BLOCK 200 LRECL 200
KUNSTK MAKE SURE STACK IS EMPTY
&BEGSTAC ALL
&STACK
STKCARDS 3
stkcards will concat 3 cards per output record
stkcards will concat 80 columns per card

ERASE LOADTAC AMSERV
File 'LOADTAC AMSERV' not found.
+++ R(00028) +++
FILEDEF * CLEAR
FILEDEF INMOVE TERM ( RECFM F LRECL 80 BLOCK 80
FILEDEF OUTMOVE DISK LOADTAC AMSERV A ( RECFM F LRECL 80 BLOCK 80
KUNSTK MAKE SURE STACK IS EMPTY
&BEGSTAC
&STACK VSAMIN -
&BEGSTAC
&STACK
KSHFT1
REL O
DISK 'O' NOT ACCESSED.
+++ R(00036) +++
CP DETACH 222
DEV 222 DOES NOT EXIST
+++ R(00040) +++
CP LINK CMSUSER 194 222 W WRITE
ACC 222 O
O (222) R/W - DOS
SET DOS ON ( VSAM
DLBL * CLEAR
ASSGN SYSCAT O
DLBL IJSYSCT O DSN MASTCAT ( SYSCAT PERM
ASSGN SYS001 A
DLBL INDS A CMS TACDATA DATA ( SYS001
DLBL OUTDS O DSN KICKS TACDATA ( SYSCAT VSAM
AMSERV LOADTAC
DLBL * CLEAR
SET DOS OFF
FILEDEF * CLEAR
REL O
CP DETACH 222
DASD 222 DETACHED
ERASE TACDATA DATA
ERASE LOADTAC AMSERV
TYPE LOADTAC LISTING

‡IDCAMS  SYSTEM SERVICES                                           TIME: 14:48:40        02/15/17     PAGE   1

‡  DELETE KICKS.TACDATA
‡IDC0550I ENTRY (C) KICKS.TACDATA DELETED
‡IDC0550I ENTRY (D) T0A6E920.VSAMDSET.DFD17046.TD21A95B.T0A6E920 DELETED
‡IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0

‡  SET MAXCC = 0

‡  DEFINE CLUSTER                                    -
‡        (NAME(KICKS.TACDATA) VOLUMES( -
‡ VSAMIN -
‡                                    ) -
‡        NONINDEXED                                  -
‡        SHAREOPTIONS(1 3)                           -
‡        RECORDSIZE(204 204)                         -
‡        RECORDS(100)                                -
‡       )
‡IDC0508I DATA ALLOCATION STATUS FOR VOLUME VSAMIN IS 0
‡IDC0512I NAME GENERATED-(D) T216AF00.VSAMDSET.DFD17046.TD21A9C4.T216AF00
‡IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0

‡  REPRO INFILE ( INDS ENV ( RECFM(F) BLKSZ(200) RECSZ(200) ) ) -
‡       OUTFILE (OUTDS)
‡IDC0005I NUMBER OF RECORDS PROCESSED WAS 7
‡IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0

‡IDC0002I IDCAMS PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 0

ERASE LOADTAC LISTING
&EXIT
Ready; T=0.52/0.88 14:48:40

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Mike,
The trace I obtained from LOADTAC is basically the same as the one you show in your update. However they differ after the DLBL * CLEAR which causes a message "MASTER CATALOG DLBL CLEARED". This should not be a problem as it is reinstated lines later, but does it ? The next deviation is after the AMSERV LOADTAC command. In my trace I get two 4228I messages one for IJSYSCT OPEN ERROR X'B4' (180) the other is for OUTDS OPEN ERROR X'FF'(255).  The AMSERV finishes return code 12. In the IDCAMS print we get IDC3016I CATALOG IS NOT AVAILABLE, IDC3009I VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 4 REASON CODE IS IGG0CLAD-2. I would also add that any attempt to access the catalog in a very basic fashion, as per my original update, also fails with the same IDCAMS messages. It appears that it is all related to the DASD volume the catalog is held on.

All the above issues disappear when I use the CMSUSER as the install target, POSTVSAM with all its LOADxxx exec complete successfully. Why it works for this userid and not others is still to be determined.

One other interesting point I have found is that although I installed the KICKS code on to CMSUSER an attempt to start the system seems to enter a loop once the last startup message has been issued. The system runs at 0.4 MIPS with the PSW pointing somewhere in CMS code. If I LINK to the CMSUSER 195 disk from another userid and then issue KICKS the system starts up perfectly. Any ideas ? I did see a comment In the KICKS exec mentioning using a using a different Terminal setup if X58 of MECAFF are installed due to a loop issue with the READ PARTITION QUERY. Is my issue related to this ?

The upshot of all this is that I can get KICKS up and running, but not quite as expected.

Did you modify & reassemble the FCT (with the new userid) as per install instruction 5a?

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Mike,
Yes I did reassemble the FCT with a new userid, for my non CMSUSER install that is.

Regards,
Martin.

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
OK, please add ECHO       &CATUSER &CATLNK1 &CATLNK2 &CATPASS &CATFM &CATVOL &ME

 right after
 READ VARS &CATUSER &CATLNK1 &CATLNK2 &CATPASS &CATFM &CATVOL &ME

 then rerun and tell me what gets ECHO'd

Re: VSAM CATALOG error in CMS/DOS Environment

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello Mike,
The variables from LOADTAC are as follows;
&CATUSER - KICKS
&CATLNK1 - 194
&CATLNK2 - 222
&CATPASS - WRITE