VM/ESA terminal resizing?

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list

   Hey folks.  I'm having a weird issue with VM/ESA 2.4.  This happens
under Hercules and on a P/390. (actually R/390)

   I have a real 3174 controller and a real 3180 terminal.  There are
other terminals on the 3174, and they work fine, but the 3180 is doing
something strange (to me).  I have the 3174 set up to present a
connection menu on all terminals.  When I select an option that
establishes a tn3270 connection to the mainframe, on the 3180 (and ONLY
on the 3180) as soon as it connects, the terminal changes to a
different, smaller font and the logon screen gets all garbled as a result.

   Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  It's driving me crazy.

                Thanks,
                -Dave

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

RE: VM/ESA terminal resizing?

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hi Dave,

The 3180 was a curious beast.

It could certainly with  Model 2, Model 4 and Model 5 screen sizes.  It may have been able to work as a Model 3.

I believe the co-ax module version (there was a twin-ax module)  was DFT only.

My guess is that the terminal is set as a model 5 and when it connects the model 5 mode is being fed a model 2 datastream and hence the scrambled screen.

The screen  mode  the terminal operates in is, I believe, changed via a setup key, and then the terminal is power cycled.
Obviously that info is in a manual, but a quick and very cursory query to Mr Google elicited nothing in the way of documentation.

John

   Hey folks.  I'm having a weird issue with VM/ESA 2.4.  This happens
under Hercules and on a P/390. (actually R/390)

   I have a real 3174 controller and a real 3180 terminal.  There are
other terminals on the 3174, and they work fine, but the 3180 is doing
something strange (to me).  I have the 3174 set up to present a
connection menu on all terminals.  When I select an option that
establishes a tn3270 connection to the mainframe, on the 3180 (and ONLY
on the 3180) as soon as it connects, the terminal changes to a
different, smaller font and the logon screen gets all garbled as a result.

   Can anyone tell me what's going on here?  It's driving me crazy.

                Thanks,
                -Dave

--
Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

------------------------------------
Posted by: Dave McGuire <[hidden email]>
------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Re: VM/ESA terminal resizing?

On 04/23/2017 11:42 PM, 'au1john' [hidden email] [H390-VM] wrote:
> The 3180 was a curious beast.

   Yes.

> It could certainly with  Model 2, Model 4 and Model 5 screen sizes.
> It may have been able to work as a Model 3.
>
> I believe the co-ax module version (there was a twin-ax module)  was
> DFT only.

   Yes I think that's correct.  And yes I have a few of the twinax/5250
ones, but unfortunately only one of the coax/3270 version.

> My guess is that the terminal is set as a model 5 and when it
> connects the model 5 mode is being fed a model 2 datastream and hence
> the scrambled screen.

   Hmmmm yes that sounds plausible!

> The screen  mode  the terminal operates in is, I believe, changed via
> a setup key, and then the terminal is power cycled. Obviously that
> info is in a manual, but a quick and very cursory query to Mr Google
> elicited nothing in the way of documentation.

   I've burned up the Intarwebs googling for documentation.  There
appears to be none.  And the keyboard I'm using with it isn't an
original 3180 keyboard that has the setup options printed on the keycaps
in blue.  But earlier today I managed to figure most of them out, and
googling around just a moment ago I found this picture of what appears
to be the correct keyboard for a 3180 (but appears to have been modified
with a USB interface by some yahoo..)   This verifies the setup keys I'd
identified experimentally earlier today, and adds two more: "Kbd ID"
(PF23) and "Model ID" (PF24).  The latter sounds very promising.  I'm
going to run back over to the museum (I live right around the corner)
and try it.  I will report back with my results.

   Thank you very much for your help!

              -Dave

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
New Kensington, PA

Re: VM/ESA terminal resizing?

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
On 04/23/2017 11:42 PM, 'au1john' [hidden email] [H390-VM] wrote:

> It could certainly with  Model 2, Model 4 and Model 5 screen sizes.
> It may have been able to work as a Model 3.
>
> I believe the co-ax module version (there was a twin-ax module)  was
> DFT only.
>
> My guess is that the terminal is set as a model 5 and when it
> connects the model 5 mode is being fed a model 2 datastream and hence
> the scrambled screen.
>
> The screen  mode  the terminal operates in is, I believe, changed via
> a setup key, and then the terminal is power cycled. Obviously that
> info is in a manual, but a quick and very cursory query to Mr Google
> elicited nothing in the way of documentation.

   ...aaannnnnd that was it! :-)  Thank you so much, John!

   For the sake of the archives, here's what did it:

   Regular setup mode is insufficient.  PF23 and PF24 just beep when
pressed in setup mode.  One must power up the terminal with PF24 held
down, which keeps it in the power-up test screen mode. (there may be
another way to do it, but this works)  In this mode, at the bottom of
the screen are two numbers.  The one on the left is the model ID, and
the one on the right is the keyboard ID.  PF23 cycles through keyboard
IDs and PF24 cycles through model IDs.

   The model ID seems to range from 2 to 7.  Mine was set to 6.  I
changed it to 2, power cycled the terminal, and now it works flawlessly.

   Thanks again!

             Thanks,
             -Dave

--