Upgrading Hercules on Linux

12

Upgrading Hercules on Linux

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I have been running Hercules on Linux OPENSUSE Leap 42.2
 The Hercules version that is pre-installed is 3.11
 How can I upgrade Hercules to version 3.12 ?

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

---In [hidden email], <kalda0912@...> wrote :

> I have been running Hercules on Linux OPENSUSE Leap 42.2
> The Hercules version that is pre-installed is 3.11
> How can I upgrade Hercules to version 3.12 ?

If you're willing to build from source, then
you can go here:

http://www.hercules-390.eu/

and download the source code.

BFN. Paul.

Yes, I think I can try to do that and rebuild from source.  Thanks.

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I finally got around to rebuilding Hercules 3.12 from source on Linux. After the upgrade was done, when I run Hercules and try to IPL z/os 1.10 the following error is issued:

 14:07:03 IPL 0A80
14:07:03 HHCCD124E 0A80 file[0] invalid trk hdr trk 0: zlib compression unsupported
 I had no problem running z/os with Hercules 3.11
 any thoughts what went wrong ?

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Kalda0912,

the problem is that when you prepared the compile-job there was no
package installed that supported compression - I am not a linux-guru so
you have to find one yourself-

once you have that you can rerun the three steps to prepare from source
and it will support your compressed disk-images.

Martin

Thanks for the quick response. So once I find a compression package, I need to redo steps 4-5-6 ?

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 12:39:11PM +0000, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> I finally got around to rebuilding Hercules 3.12 from source on Linux.
> After the upgrade was done, when I run Hercules and try to IPL z/os 1.10
> the following error is issued:
>
>  14:07:03 IPL 0A80
> 14:07:03 HHCCD124E 0A80 file[0] invalid trk hdr trk 0: zlib compression unsupported
>  I had no problem running z/os with Hercules 3.11
>  any thoughts what went wrong ?

Which Linux distribution are you running?  Some Linux distributions, like
Debian, have separate library and "development header" packages.  On Debian,
for example, you only need the zlib1g package for zlib support when running
a pre-built Hercules, but also need zlib1g-dev to build Hercules with zlib
support.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

As mentioned in the OP, I'm running Linux OPENSUSE Leap 42.2

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 04:15:02PM +0000, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> As mentioned in the OP, I'm running Linux OPENSUSE Leap 42.2

Then you would need the zlib-dev package to build Hercules from source with
zlib support.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.Lassie.xyz
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

I installed the required package and rebuilt Hercules from source.
This has resolved the problem.
Thank you all.

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

Hercules390 - General mailing list
- - - In [hidden email], <kalda0912@...> wrote:
> I installed the required package and rebuilt Hercules from source.
>This has resolved the problem.
>Thank you all.

Did you also do bzlib and pcre ?

I don't build Hercules but have heard them mentioned by others.

On 2/9/2017 6:54 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:
> - - - In [hidden email], <kalda0912@...> wrote:
>> I installed the required package and rebuilt Hercules from source.
>> This has resolved the problem.
>> Thank you all.
> Did you also do bzlib and pcre ?
>
> I don't build Hercules but have heard them mentioned by others.

bzlib is only required if you use BZ2 compressed CCKD/HET

PCRE and brexx or Regina Rexx are only needed for HAO (Hercules
Automated Operator) functions.

--Ivan

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

No, I only installed zlib-dev

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

 - - - In [hidden email], <ivan@...> wrote:
- - - old notes snipped - - -
> bzlib is only required if you use BZ2 compressed CCKD/HET

At one time CCKD would switch from zlib to bzlib if zlib had trouble
keeping up with compression to write to disk.

I assUme that no cckd disk images with bzlib tracks can ever be used?

HAO can be handy.
If PCRE and Rexx are needed, why purposefully build without?

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

- - - In [hidden email], <kalda0912@...> wrote:
> No, I only installed zlib-dev

I don't build Hercules or run Linux but suspect that your build
instructions mention some bzlib-development package and
perhaps other packages.

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:05 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If PCRE and Rexx are needed, why purposefully build without?

Because it's just too complex to figure out whatever the darn package names
are called for the particular Linux distribution you happen to be using at
the time.
;)

- Maarten

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> - - - In [hidden email], <kalda0912@...> wrote:
> > No, I only installed zlib-dev
>
> I don't build Hercules or run Linux but suspect that your build
> instructions mention some bzlib-development package and
> perhaps other packages.

That's about as helpful as saying :

"I don't build Hercules or run Windows but suspect that your build
instructions mention some 'Visual C' thingy, an SDK-development thingy and
perhaps other thingy's. "

;)

- Maarten

Re: Upgrading Hercules on Linux

HAO can be handy.
> If PCRE and Rexx are needed, why purposefully build without?

Because ... I don't any use for that maybe ?

--Ivan

On Thu, Feb 09, 2017 at 07:12:12PM +0100, Maarten Hoes [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> Because it's just too complex to figure out whatever the darn package names
> are called for the particular Linux distribution you happen to be using at
> the time.
> ;)

Even without currently using Debian or OpenSuSE I had no trouble figuring
out their zlib development package names using their online package
searches.

 - - - In [hidden email], <hoes.maarten@...> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM, somitcw@... mailto:somitcw@...
>[hercules-390] <[hidden email]
>mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>> - - - In [hidden email] mailto:[hidden email],
>><kalda0912@...> wrote:
>>> No, I only installed zlib-dev
>> I don't build Hercules or run Linux but suspect that your build
>>instructions mention some bzlib-development package and
>>perhaps other packages.
> That's about as helpful as saying :
> "I don't build Hercules or run Windows but suspect that your build
>instructions mention some 'Visual C' thingy, an SDK-development
>thingy and perhaps other thingy's. "
>;)
>  - Maarten

Yes, if the knowledgeable people aren't giving up the information
at this time, suggesting that the user read the documentation
might be helpful?

We already have zlib-dev, bzlib-dev, PCRE, and a choice between
a couple of flavors of Rexx mentioned.

Is more information needed?
12