Trouble IPL'ing VM

jeff.rollin (Bugzilla)
Hi.

WARNING: S370/Hercules Noob alert! Any and all problems herein maybe
due to PEBKAC error!

Right, now that's over with.

I'm trying to IPL VM on version 3.02 of hercules (from Gentoo's
portage). I have so far tried 2 different versions; the first is the
VM set provided on the Hercules home page (hereinafter referred to as
the "HVM set"), the second is the 4-DASD (Andy Norris?) ("4VM") set.
Hercules itself appears to run fine, the problem comes when trying to
IPL VM. (I haven't tried MVS et al., as frankly I've no interest and
even less expertise in running them.)

To deal with the HVM set first: after executing "dasdinit" on the
appropriate files, i can telnet in to the hercules program, which asks
me at every prompt to enter the input for console device 001F.
Entering "input 3215 00lf" produces an invalid operand error, but I'm
seemingly able to get the "input" and "output" instructions in the
README file to execute properly. the problem comes when trying to
RESTORE ALL (the first time) - I've never actually completed this yet
as, rather than taking 2 minutes as per the documentation, this takes
upwards of 2 hours (assuming that it's even working - no disk activity
during the restore). Is no disk activity normal? How long does it take
(the "upwards of two hours" was on an Athlon 1800+ with 512MB RAM and
no X Window System running.)

So I tried using the 4-DASD set (after a lot of digging). As before,
hercules itself runs, but when i try to run "hercules -f vmsys.cnf",
the simulator complains about almost every device which is supposed to
be present (and is). what makes it worse is that when i try to change
vmsys.cnf and all other pertinent files to use
/home/jeff/Hercules/prebuiltVM instead of /herc370/vm, the system does
not ipl VM at all - it just sits at:

Running on Linux i686 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 #1 Thu Dec 23 03:07:21 GMT 2004

(i've modified the scripts to use c3270 instead of x3270 as x3270
looks in the wrong place for X support libs on my system, but the
system doesn't seem to start any c3270s even although it gives no errors.)

Re: Trouble IPL'ing VM

jeff.rollin (Bugzilla)
--- In [hidden email], "twenex_vm" <jeff.rollin@g...> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> WARNING: S370/Hercules Noob alert! Any and all problems herein maybe
> due to PEBKAC error!
>
> Right, now that's over with.
>
> I'm trying to IPL VM on version 3.02 of hercules (from Gentoo's
> portage). I have so far tried 2 different versions; the first is the
> VM set provided on the Hercules home page (hereinafter referred to as
> the "HVM set"), the second is the 4-DASD (Andy Norris?) ("4VM") set.
> Hercules itself appears to run fine, the problem comes when trying to
> IPL VM. (I haven't tried MVS et al., as frankly I've no interest and
> even less expertise in running them.)
>
> To deal with the HVM set first: after executing "dasdinit" on the
> appropriate files, i can telnet in to the hercules program, which asks
> me at every prompt to enter the input for console device 001F.
> Entering "input 3215 00lf" produces an invalid operand error, but I'm
> seemingly able to get the "input" and "output" instructions in the
> README file to execute properly. the problem comes when trying to
> RESTORE ALL (the first time) - I've never actually completed this yet
> as, rather than taking 2 minutes as per the documentation, this takes
> upwards of 2 hours (assuming that it's even working - no disk activity
> during the restore). Is no disk activity normal? How long does it take
> (the "upwards of two hours" was on an Athlon 1800+ with 512MB RAM and
> no X Window System running.)
>
> So I tried using the 4-DASD set (after a lot of digging). As before,
> hercules itself runs, but when i try to run "hercules -f vmsys.cnf",
> the simulator complains about almost every device which is supposed to
> be present (and is). what makes it worse is that when i try to change
> vmsys.cnf and all other pertinent files to use
> /home/jeff/Hercules/prebuiltVM instead of /herc370/vm, the system does
> not ipl VM at all - it just sits at:
>
> Running on Linux i686 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 #1 Thu Dec 23 03:07:21 GMT 2004
>
> (i've modified the scripts to use c3270 instead of x3270 as x3270
> looks in the wrong place for X support libs on my system, but the
> system doesn't seem to start any c3270s even although it gives no
errors.)

PS thanks for any help you can give!

Re: Re: Trouble IPL'ing VM

George-2
Can you post your herc config file so that we can try to help. A copy of
the Hercules log file would help as well.

George

twenex_vm wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], "twenex_vm" <jeff.rollin@g...> wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > WARNING: S370/Hercules Noob alert! Any and all problems herein maybe
> > due to PEBKAC error!
> >
> > Right, now that's over with.
> >
> > I'm trying to IPL VM on version 3.02 of hercules (from Gentoo's
> > portage). I have so far tried 2 different versions; the first is the
> > VM set provided on the Hercules home page (hereinafter referred to as
> > the "HVM set"), the second is the 4-DASD (Andy Norris?) ("4VM") set.
> > Hercules itself appears to run fine, the problem comes when trying to
> > IPL VM. (I haven't tried MVS et al., as frankly I've no interest and
> > even less expertise in running them.)
> >
> > To deal with the HVM set first: after executing "dasdinit" on the
> > appropriate files, i can telnet in to the hercules program, which asks
> > me at every prompt to enter the input for console device 001F.
> > Entering "input 3215 00lf" produces an invalid operand error, but I'm
> > seemingly able to get the "input" and "output" instructions in the
> > README file to execute properly. the problem comes when trying to
> > RESTORE ALL (the first time) - I've never actually completed this yet
> > as, rather than taking 2 minutes as per the documentation, this takes
> > upwards of 2 hours (assuming that it's even working - no disk activity
> > during the restore). Is no disk activity normal? How long does it take
> > (the "upwards of two hours" was on an Athlon 1800+ with 512MB RAM and
> > no X Window System running.)
> >
> > So I tried using the 4-DASD set (after a lot of digging). As before,
> > hercules itself runs, but when i try to run "hercules -f vmsys.cnf",
> > the simulator complains about almost every device which is supposed to
> > be present (and is). what makes it worse is that when i try to change
> > vmsys.cnf and all other pertinent files to use
> > /home/jeff/Hercules/prebuiltVM instead of /herc370/vm, the system does
> > not ipl VM at all - it just sits at:
> >
> > Running on Linux i686 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 #1 Thu Dec 23 03:07:21 GMT 2004
> >
> > (i've modified the scripts to use c3270 instead of x3270 as x3270
> > looks in the wrong place for X support libs on my system, but the
> > system doesn't seem to start any c3270s even although it gives no
> errors.)
>
> PS thanks for any help you can give!

>     *  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
>       Service <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

RE: Trouble IPL'ing VM

David Wade

There is a bug in either Hercules or standalone DDR. When it rewinds the
tape DDR does not detect that it has rewond the tape. If you do "RESTORE ALL
(LEAVE" it should be find. However this is system is a bit buggy and I would
start with the 4-pack.

> So I tried using the 4-DASD set (after a lot of digging). As
> before, hercules itself runs, but when i try to run "hercules
> -f vmsys.cnf", the simulator complains about almost every
> device which is supposed to be present (and is). what makes
> it worse is that when i try to change vmsys.cnf and all other
> pertinent files to use /home/jeff/Hercules/prebuiltVM instead
> of /herc370/vm, the system does not ipl VM at all - it just sits at:
>
> Running on Linux i686 2.6.8-gentoo-r10 #1 Thu Dec 23 03:07:21 GMT 2004
>
> (i've modified the scripts to use c3270 instead of x3270 as
> x3270 looks in the wrong place for X support libs on my
> system, but the system doesn't seem to start any c3270s even
> although it gives no errors.)

I am not sure what this looks like on a Linux box. I always run on Windows.
I think I would remove the startup script (rename hercules.rc to
hercules.rx), and then manually run Hercules, "hercules -f vmsys.cnf".
Once Hercules is running pressing "<esc>" in the console window should
toggle between the device screen and the log view.
Check you have the packs mounted as expected. Then run C3270 (connect to
127.0.0.1 or "localhost" port 3270),
You should get a hercules message on connect..

Then manually IPL from the hercules console window, "IPL 731" and see what
happens

It sounds like the startup script is not detecting the console sessions have
started.

Hope the above is helpful,

Dave.