SUBSYS=MSTR

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
The JCL parameter "SUBSYS=MSTR" was added to MVS/XA if I'm correct. What
changed in MVS to make this happen?  Obviously the converter/interpreter
to accept the parameter.

Thanks,

Scott

RE: SUBSYS=MSTR

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Actually the SUBSYS= parameter was introduced into MVS 3.8 via SU29 in the early 1980s.

Wally

Re: SUBSYS=MSTR

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Thank you for that!

On 03/17/2017 10:10 AM, 'Wally Mclaughlin' [hidden email]
[H390-MVS] wrote:

> Actually the SUBSYS= parameter was introduced into MVS 3.8 via SU29 in
> the early 1980s.
>
> Wally

Re: SUBSYS=MSTR

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
The SUB= parameter (it's on the START command, not JCL) is not in MVS 3.8, but is (I think) in MVS/SP 1.3.  It has hooks in three places:  the START command processor, the STC Job Scheduling Subroutine, and the routine called by JSS to actually copy STC/TSO JCL into the appropriate internal reader.  I'm working on adding SUB= support to MVS 3.8, but it's not done yet.

Kevin

Re: SUBSYS=MSTR

On 17 March 2017 at 10:10, 'Wally Mclaughlin' [hidden email] wrote:

> Actually the SUBSYS= parameter was introduced into MVS 3.8 via SU29 in the
> early 1980s.

I think you and Scott are talking about different things: the ability to
specify SUBSYS= on a DD statement, and the ability to specify a subsystem
(not necessarily MSTR) to run under on a console START command. I think
only the former was SU29, and the latter a good deal later - maybe even in
the ESA days, and IIRC about the same time the ability to have a JOB
statement in started task JCL came along.

Tony H.