Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

1234

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Report it as a bug on GitHub…

Dave

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

don.isenstadt
Jurgen,
 I just tried your wonderful APL 360 on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine.  I then was successful in porting the Putty terminal to my Raspberry pi and recompiling the source with the patches so now I am at release .70. The
 source .62 you provided would not compile under jessie. I kept getting AM_PATH_GTK not defined. But the .70 source works fine on the Pi. The patches did not need any modifications. The reason I am replying to this particular message is that I see you have it working on a raspberry pi zero. I was wondering if you could package that code like you do for the MVS appliance.

 If you did not want to spend the time doing that could you publish the arm directory so I could just copy it into the APL version 2.0 version on my Raspberry Pi Zero?

 One other small item is that if I make a key mistake I can't seem to correct it. I try backspace but when I overtype and press enter I get character error. Is there some other way to correct key mistakes other than retyping the whole line?

 Again thanks so much for bringing this back to life .. I was reading through all these posts and I can see it was quite a journey.. but much appreciated ... APL was my first language I played with in college.

 Sincerely,
 Don Isenstadt

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

winkelmann
---In [hidden email], <don.isenstadt@...> wrote :

 > Jurgen,
 >

 > I just tried your wonderful APL 360 on my Ubuntu 14.04 machine.  I then was successful
 > in porting the Putty terminal to my Raspberry pi and recompiling the source with the patches
 > so now I am at release .70. The source .62 you provided would not compile under jessie.
 > I kept getting AM_PATH_GTK not defined. But the .70 source works fine on the Pi.
 > The patches did not need any modifications.

 Hi Don

 good to see you are having fun with the resurrected APL\360 system! Thanks for the compliments .

 > The reason I am replying to this particular message is that I see you have it working on a raspberry pi zero.

 Well, I in fact don't have it working on a Raspberry Pi. The distribution currently runs on Windows, Linux and OS X systems, but not on ARM. The interest in the APL\360 distribution is rather small, there probably are no more than a few dozen users and I never heard a request for ARM support from them. So, if you read somewhere that it is running on ARM, then this probably got somehow confused. Maybe TK4- was meant? Or APL\360 on OS X? I've no idea...

 > I was wondering if you could package that code like you do for the MVS appliance.
 >

 > If you did not want to spend the time doing that could you publish the arm directory so I could just
 > copy it into the APL version 2.0 version on my Raspberry Pi Zero?

 Of course, adding ARM support to the distro is as easy (or complicated -- depending on the point of view) than it was for TK4-. I'd be willing to put this on my list, but be aware that this can take forever: Until I'm out with the next TK4- update (which already is delayed for almost a year), I'll not even be looking into it to avoid getting side tracked. Sorry about that, but my very limited time budget, in addition to motivation problems I'm still facing since a skiing accident I had last spring, force me do to one step after the other with this hobby.

 > One other small item is that if I make a key mistake I can't seem to correct it. I try backspace
 > but when I overtype and press enter I get character error. Is there some other way to correct
 > key mistakes other than retyping the whole line?

 Well, that's an easy question, finally: APL\360 was written with typewriter terminals that print on real paper in mind, not screens as we have nowadays. To ease user interaction on that paper medium a thing named "visual fidelity" was invented, which allows backspacing and overtyping not as we expect it today on screens. Imagine having a sheet of paper, type something, then backspace and overtype... what happens on the paper? It overtypes, of course. Two things can happen: The overtyping creates either an invalid character, and so says APL then, or it creates a valid character, then it's taken for that. And the emulation I created for the PuTTY session shows exactly that same behavior. Try for example typing the input symbol (Shift L), then backspace and then the apostrophe (Shift K). What do you see on the PuTTY "paper" screen? The text input symbol which otherwise can't be found on the keyboard. Press Return and you'll see that APL prompts you for text input...

 But visual fidelity goes even further: Type 5+2, followed by 5 times backspace, then 3x (x being the multiply symbol), then return. The system answers 21, which corresponds to the input line you are seeing on the "paper".

 However, if you want to correct a typo, than you have to tell the system that you _do not_ want to overtype. This is done by backspacing and pressing Shift X, causing APL to skip to the next line, where you can continue typing.

 See the MVT for APL User's Manual at page 13 for some background, and the APL\360 User's Manual for more details on visual fidelity.

 > Again thanks so much for bringing this back to life .. I was reading through all these posts and
 > I can see it was quite a journey.. but much appreciated ... APL was my first language I played
 > with in college.

 You're welcome!

 APL was also one of my first computer languages and I did all the computations for my mathematics diploma thesis in APL .

 Cheers
 Jürgen

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

mstram
I've just installed the mvt4apl-2.00 system on a Win 7 pro laptop.

Everything is working  but ...

How do I *delete* a line from a program/function definition ?

According to   the APL\360 primer
http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/apl/C20-1702-0_APL_360_Primer_1969.pdf (
pg 46) :

1) Enter the line number enclosed in square  brackets, then press ATTN

I've tried  [xx]  CTR-A, and [xx] CTR-C, then exiting the function
with "del" (shift G).

When I "open" the function with "del" again, the "deleted" lines are
still there.

Mike

On 1/29/18, [hidden email] [hercules-390]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> Shift X, causing APL to skip to the next line, where you can continue
> typing.
>

>  See the MVT for APL User's Manual at page 13 for some background, and the
> APL\360 User's Manual for more details on visual fidelity.
>  >
>
>  > Again thanks so much for bringing this back to life .. I was reading
> through all these posts and
>  > I can see it was quite a journey.. but much appreciated ... APL was my
> first language I played
>  > with in college.
>  >
>  You're welcome!
>

>  APL was also one of my first computer languages and I did all the
> computations for my mathematics diploma thesis in APL .
>

>  Cheers
>  Jürgen

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

Hi Mike

 in the given context, by ATTN in fact LINEFEED is meant, which on the original 1052-7 typewriter terminal doesn't exist. This key is instead simulated by Shift-X, as described in the MVT for APL Users manual on page 13. See also the APL\360 primer on page 11 for the use of ATTN in line editing. There is also mentioned, that LINEFEED, INDEX and ATTN have the same function in APL\360, i.e. whichever of them is found on a given terminal, can be substituted for ATTN.

 So, to your specific question, deleting line xx in a program requires the following sequence of keystrokes:

 [xx] Shift-X Return

 without the blanks, which I put in for readability only.

 Cheers
 Jürgen

 http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/apl/C20-1702-0_APL_360_Primer_1969.pdf http://bitsavers.org/pdf/ibm/apl/C20-1702-0_APL_360_Primer_1969.pdf (

 On 1/29/18, winkelmann@... mailto:winkelmann@... [hercules-390]
 <[hidden email] mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]
 > that you _do not_ want to overtype. This is done by backspacing and pressing
 > Shift X, causing APL to skip to the next line, where you can continue
 > typing.
 >
 >
 > See the MVT for APL User's Manual at page 13 for some background, and the
 > APL\360 User's Manual for more details on visual fidelity.
 > >
 >
 > > Again thanks so much for bringing this back to life .. I was reading
 > through all these posts and
 > > I can see it was quite a journey.. but much appreciated ... APL was my
 > first language I played
 > > with in college.
 > >
 > You're welcome!
 >
 >
 > APL was also one of my first computer languages and I did all the
 > computations for my mathematics diploma thesis in APL .
 >
 >
 > Cheers
 > Jürgen

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

Jeremy Nicoll - zf yahoo
On Wed, 31 Jan 2018, at 00:01, Mike Stramba [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> 1) Enter the line number enclosed in square  brackets, then press ATTN
>
> I've tried  [xx]  CTR-A, and [xx] CTR-C, then exiting the function
> with "del" (shift G).
>
> When I "open" the function with "del" again, the "deleted" lines are
> still there.

You need to press whichever key you've mapped to ATTN (a specific
key on a 3270 terminal) in your 3270 emulator.

Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

Tony Harminc
On 31 January 2018 at 12:44, Jeremy Nicoll [hidden email] wrote:

> You need to press whichever key you've mapped to ATTN (a specific
> key on a 3270 terminal) in your 3270 emulator.

That's a good generic answer to people asking about 3270 emulators,
but here it just causes confusion because there is no 3270 in the
picture. APL\360 does not have any 3270 support.

Tony H.

Re: Running APL\360 on OS/360-MVT 21.8F: MVT for APL Version 2.00 available

mstram
Jürgen,

Thanks very much !

Mike

On 1/31/18, [hidden email] [hercules-390]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

 >> ---In [hidden email], <don.isenstadt@...> wrote :

 >> I was wondering if you could package that code like you do for the MVS appliance.
 >>

 >> If you did not want to spend the time doing that could you publish the arm directory so I could just
 >> copy it into the APL version 2.0 version on my Raspberry Pi Zero?
 >>
 > Of course, adding ARM support to the distro is as easy (or complicated -- depending on the point of view)
 > than it was for TK4-. I'd be willing to put this on my list, but be aware that this can take forever: Until I'm out
 > with the next TK4- update (which already is delayed for almost a year), I'll not even be looking into it to avoid
 > getting side tracked. Sorry about that, but my very limited time budget, in addition to motivation problems
 > I'm still facing since a skiing accident I had last spring, force me do to one step after the other with

 Hi Don

 you're lucky: I got side tracked just after I wrote that post. Things started working in my head and I could bring this to an end only by doing the job. So, here it is: Please find the ARM support on http://wotho.ethz.ch/mvt4apl-2.00 http://wotho.ethz.ch/mvt4apl-2.00/. As usual, there is an "update" zip that can be applied to existing systems and two "current system" zips (normal and large) for new installations.

 Please note: On older ARM platforms insufficient compute power might make it difficult to perform the initial assembly of the APL\360 source. Should this be the case on your system, simply perform the initial installation elsewhere and then transfer the DASDs together with file <mvt4apl folder>/aplinst/status to the ARM system.

 Have fun!

 Cheers
 Jürgen

1234