Request for New Moderator

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hello,

I have checked up on this and since Jay Maynard has gone silent and is not
responding to emails, we can use the poll feature to elect persons to
become moderators (but not owners) of this group.

Therefore I am asking that we submit the names of three members who would
be willing to moderate this group. I (or someone) will create a poll from
those names and we can pass the vote results to yahoo customer care, who
can then make the top two vote-getters moderators of this group.

I move that we leave nominations open until May 21 at 23:59. I move that
the poll be created and and open for voting from May 22, 2017 until June 5,
2017 (14 days).

Any seconds? Or a better idea?

Joe Monk
W5JDM
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list

On Mon, 5/15/17, Joe Monk [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I move that we leave nominations open until May
> 21 at 23:59. I move that the poll be created and and open
> for voting from May 22, 2017 until June 5, 2017 (14
> days).

In which timezone? (I suggest UTC.)

Also, should there be a gap - maybe 1 week - between the nomination period and the voting period? This would allow time for people to ask nominees questions publicly (or privately) before they vote.

Other than that, I like this suggestion.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hello!
Same here. But what about Roger? Isn't it his call also? I recall
bringing up an issue and he agreed with me, and did something for the
issue.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
"This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."


On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Pau Amma [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> On Mon, 5/15/17, Joe Monk [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I move that we leave nominations open until May
>> 21 at 23:59. I move that the poll be created and and open
>> for voting from May 22, 2017 until June 5, 2017 (14
>> days).
>
> In which timezone? (I suggest UTC.)
>
> Also, should there be a gap - maybe 1 week - between the nomination period and the voting period? This would allow time for people to ask nominees questions publicly (or privately) before they vote.
>
> Other than that, I like this suggestion.
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: Pau Amma <[hidden email]>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Community email addresses:
>   Post message: [hidden email]
>   Subscribe:    [hidden email]
>   Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
>   List owner:   [hidden email]
>
> Files and archives at:
>   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
>   http://www.hercules-390.org
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Thats why I put out a general call. Im just making a suggestion here.

Joe

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Gregg Levine [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hello!
> Same here. But what about Roger? Isn't it his call also? I recall
> bringing up an issue and he agreed with me, and did something for the
> issue.
> -----
> Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."
>
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Pau Amma [hidden email]
> [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 5/15/17, Joe Monk [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I move that we leave nominations open until May
> >> 21 at 23:59. I move that the poll be created and and open
> >> for voting from May 22, 2017 until June 5, 2017 (14
> >> days).
> >
> > In which timezone? (I suggest UTC.)
> >
> > Also, should there be a gap - maybe 1 week - between the nomination
> period and the voting period? This would allow time for people to ask
> nominees questions publicly (or privately) before they vote.
> >
> > Other than that, I like this suggestion.
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> > Posted by: Pau Amma <[hidden email]>
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Community email addresses:
> > Post message: [hidden email]
> > Subscribe: [hidden email]
> > Unsubscribe: [hidden email]
> > List owner: [hidden email]
> >
> > Files and archives at:
> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390
> >
> > Get the latest version of Hercules from:
> > http://www.hercules-390.org
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------------
> >
> > Yahoo Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hello!
Of course we need others. No problem.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
"This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."


On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Joe Monk [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Thats why I put out a general call. Im just making a suggestion here.
>
> Joe
>
> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:40 PM, Gregg Levine [hidden email]
> [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> Hello!
>> Same here. But what about Roger? Isn't it his call also? I recall
>> bringing up an issue and he agreed with me, and did something for the
>> issue.
>> -----
>> Gregg C Levine [hidden email]
>> "This signature fought the Time Wars, time and again."
>>
>> On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 9:06 PM, Pau Amma [hidden email]
>> [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Mon, 5/15/17, Joe Monk [hidden email] [hercules-390]
>> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >> I move that we leave nominations open until May
>> >> 21 at 23:59. I move that the poll be created and and open
>> >> for voting from May 22, 2017 until June 5, 2017 (14
>> >> days).
>> >
>> > In which timezone? (I suggest UTC.)
>> >
>> > Also, should there be a gap - maybe 1 week - between the nomination
>> > period and the voting period? This would allow time for people to ask
>> > nominees questions publicly (or privately) before they vote.
>> >
>> > Other than that, I like this suggestion.
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------------
>> > Posted by: Pau Amma <[hidden email]>
>> > ------------------------------------
>> >
>> > Community email addresses:
>> > Post message: [hidden email]
>> > Subscribe: [hidden email]
>> > Unsubscribe: [hidden email]
>> > List owner: [hidden email]
>> >
>> > Files and archives at:
>> > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390
>> >
>> > Get the latest version of Hercules from:
>> > http://www.hercules-390.org
>> >
>> >
>> > ------------------------------------
>> >
>> > Yahoo Groups Links
>> >
>> >
>> >
>
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
Sounds like a solid plan.

How will the voting be conducted?  In the clear or via some sort of offline process?

Brian
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Are there really no active mods? If so it'd remarkably spam and troll
free.. Can any one just join...

On 15 May 2017 05:12, "[hidden email] [hercules-390]" <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Sounds like a solid plan.
>
> How will the voting be conducted?  In the clear or via some sort of
> offline process?
>
> Brian
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
The voting must be via a poll in the group. This is so the yahoo customer
care people can see the results.


Joe

On Sun, May 14, 2017 at 10:09 PM, [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Sounds like a solid plan.
>
> How will the voting be conducted?  In the clear or via some sort of
> offline process?
>
> Brian
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
Here are the current settings:

Group Settings

   - *This is a public group.*
   - Attachments are not permitted.
   - Members cannot hide email address.
   - Not listed in Yahoo Groups directory.



   - Membership does not require approval.
   - Messages are not moderated.
   - All members can post messages.

I think the reason that its spam/troll free is because the group is not
listed in the directory. You have to know about it to join!

Joe

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 1:21 AM, Dave Wade [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Are there really no active mods? If so it'd remarkably spam and troll
> free.. Can any one just join...
>
> On 15 May 2017 05:12, "[hidden email] [hercules-390]" <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>>
>> Sounds like a solid plan.
>>
>> How will the voting be conducted?  In the clear or via some sort of
>> offline process?
>>
>> Brian
>>
>>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I dare to ask:
 What is a moderator's taks? What do you expect as effects for the list content? Will we never ever see again emoting communications like 'Fuck you'? I know other lists with lower noise bandwidth, quiet for weeks, solving issues within 3..8 appends. Very effecitve. If we expect similar here it is not something a moderator may achieve on his own.
 Example: what should a moderator do if within a thread about segmentation fault a discussion bursts about date formats? http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/Odd-problem-with-Hercules-Segmentation-fault-on-IPL-td53899.html http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/Odd-problem-with-Hercules-Segmentation-fault-on-IPL-td53899.html
 

 BTW, I also tend to write too lenghty ;)
 

 Ciao.....Mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
On 5/15/17 7:07 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:
>   * What is a moderator's taks?

On a public group it's mainly to examine messages for truly offensive
ones, to be deleted. Unfortunately, "offensive" is a vague term, and one
poster's obscenity is another's routine speech.

On a private group you get to decide whether or not to approve a request
for membership. The request has room for the requester to provide a
reason for joining, and I routinely ignore requests that omit this
field, or provide a too short reason ("I want to join" could be a
spammer or robot). I made one exception to this, when I recognized the
e-mail as a frequent and helpful contributor on other groups.

>   * What do you expect as effects for the list content?

In practice, very little.

>   * Will we never ever see again emoting communications like 'Fuck you'?

That's one of those phrases that has lost all impact due to overuse. I
just ignore it. I might feel different for a group frequented by minors.

> I know other lists with lower noise bandwidth, quiet for weeks, solving
> issues within 3..8 appends. Very effective. If we expect similar here it
> is not something a moderator may achieve on his own.

If that ever becomes a major concern, my recommendation would be to take
the group private and expel the offenders.

> Example: what should a moderator do if within a thread about
> segmentation fault a discussion bursts about date formats?
> http://hercules390.996247.n3.nabble.com/Odd-problem-with-Hercules-Segmentation-fault-on-IPL-td53899.html

As one of the offenders, I wasn't really concerned with the original
subject, but found the date exchange relevant to the group. I'd prefer
that the first respondent with a new topic say so in a post, and then
start a new thread. I suspect nobody expected it to surpass the volume
of the hijacked topic.

I am more concerned that my e-mail address doesn't show up. I use
Thunderbird on a Windows platform, and don't recall seeing a
configuration option to hide it.

> BTW, I also tend to write too lenghty ;)
When it comes to technical subjects, clarity is more important than
length. In the thread you cited, the original post just complained about
a segmentation fault without giving enough details (machine, OS version,
Hercules version, compile options, etc.). The important thing is for the
moderator to maintain a positive attitude, and assist in the overall
group goal - to educate, help, exchange information and data.
Complaining about minor nits isn't productive <g>


Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

---
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
http://www.avg.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Request for New Moderator

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
On Mon, 5/15/17, Joe Monk [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The voting must be via a poll in the group.
> This is so the yahoo customer care people can see the
> results.

Will the poll be linked (or at least announced, but preferably linked) in an emailed entry? I only watch the group via email, and am not sure how else I would tell the poll was up.