Possible HET utility

John-85
I'm considering creating a new utility for HET files, or maybe just
updating "hetmap". What I'm thinking of is having the data which is
displayed by "hetmap -a" (hetmap -x?), but with it being in XML format
instead. My reason is that it is much easier to parse an XML file than
the current output. This would be for reporting and maybe even some
sort of "tape management" system which would run on the host OS instead
of MVS guest itself. Maybe later something to read the XML file and put
the data into PostgreSQL or MySQL. That should be simple to do in Perl
or Python or Ruby or <insert favority scripting language here>.

What think? I may even do some of this this weekend (3 day weekend here
in the States and I've nowhere to go, nobody to be with, and nothing
particular to do - prototypical loner geek <sigh>)

If this works out, I might even tell the people using Flex, on the off
chance that they might like offloading some tape manage work from their
zSystem to the host system.

--
John

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Possible HET utility

Greg Smith-14
On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 20:13 +0000, bb5ch39t wrote:
> I'm considering creating a new utility for HET files, or maybe just
> updating "hetmap".

Without knowing a lot about hetmap or xml, wouldn't the `proper' thing
to do be writing a utility that reads hetmap output and output xml?

eg hetmap [parms] | hetmap2xml > hetmap.xml

It could probably be written in a scripting language like perl instead
of c.

Greg

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules