New file in files section

David Wade
Folks,
  I have added a new file to the PC Utilities section, NETDATA.ZIP.
This contains a "C" program to write DISK DUMP files on a PC which
can then be loaded to Hercules. The files are in EBCDIC so should
when issuing the DEVINT remember to specify EBCDIC and EOF or tick
these boxes on the Hercules GUI.

  I also added the "-u <USERID>" option which puts a user-id card on
the front of the deck so you can do something like:-

disk dump cmsdump.c -n cmsdump -t c -u maint cmsdump.c >cards.txt
disk dump ebcdic.c -n ebcdic -t c ebcdic.c >>cards.txt

This will produce a "deck" containing cmsdump.c and ebcdic.c which
can be read on VM/370 with a "DISK LOAD" command.

I have not updated the make files as I am on Windows and not sure
whhat they should "really" look like. To rebuild I did:-

gcc -c diskdump.c -o diskdump.o
gcc -c ebcdic.c  -o ebcdic.o
gcc diskdump.o ebcdic.o -o diskdump.exe

Hope you find this usefull. As usual no promises it will work
properley, I gave it a whole 10 minute test :-) And watch how big you
make your reader decks, there is only a limited amount of spool space
on VM...

Dave
G4UGM

RE: New file in files section

"Fish" (David B. Trout)

RE: New file in files section

David Wade

> David Wade wrote:
> <snip>
> > disk dump cmsdump.c -n cmsdump -t c -u maint cmsdump.c
> >cards.txt disk
> > dump ebcdic.c -n ebcdic -t c ebcdic.c >>cards.txt
> <snip>
>
> Forgive me (because I'm too lazy to look at your program
> source right now to try and find the answer for myself) BUT...

Its not my source. I just tweaked slightly...

> What's with having to specify the filename TWICE?

Not sure myself. I think the original program wanted to send these as mail
files, so you could prepare the mail in any old file, and then when you sent
it it had the appropriate names "MAILER DATA" or whatever...

> I'm guessing the first one is which file you want to "dump",
> but what's the last one, following the -u maint & -t c??
> What's it for?

The second is the name you want the file to have when it gets to VM. I
intend to change this so it defaults to the original name and type when I
get "round to it"

> In any case, thanks for the handy tool! Makes it a bit easier
> to get data into VM.

That's what I thought. Do we have "pick up" directories on Hercules on
windows where you can dump files for auto reading? I know there will be some
docs somewhere....

> Haven't looked at your BREXX yet (but I definitely will![1]);
> too busy farting around with other things[2] right now.

looks very interesting...

> - --
> "Fish" (David B. Trout) - fish(at)infidels.org
> Fight Spam! Join CAUCE! <http://www.cauce.org/>
> (Any HTML email received will be deleted unread)
>
> [1] Eventually.
>
> [2] Sneak preview: http://www.ivansoftware.com/snapshots/

Re: New file in files section

gm1mqe
Great job David. Lot of work in BREXX etc. I have added it to the 4
pack system for distribution sometime later. Dont have much time to
work on it due to some "real" work and sailing and landrover stuff.

Regards, Andy

RE: Re: New file in files section

David Wade
Andy,

 Well I hope to have an update out soon. I am just having a pause at the
minute looking at ways of getting stuff in and out of VM which are easier to
use than the current process, which involved ZIPPING up the files, making a
TDF file and then running an EXEC on VM to unzip. Because the ZIP is on an
emulated tape reading it needs FILEDEF cards etc and is a real pain. Now we
have TAPE and DISKDUMP (and hopefully soon VMFPLC2 and DISKLOAD) on the PC
it much easier, so I should soon be back to REXing, and fixing some of the
shortcomings.

Dave