MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Hi

I am running TK4- update 8.

Is there a TSO command in MVS 3.8J which will tell me what volumes are
currently mounted?

LIST SYS1.PARMLIB(VATLST00) will show me what volumes are mounted at IPL.
But, it is conceivable that further volumes have been mounted since.
So is there a TSO command which shows me which volumes are mounted right
now?
The equivalent of running "mount" on Unix.

Also, is there a TSO command which lets me issue a console command from TSO?
e.g. when playing around with RJE, sometimes I get the RJE line in a
confused state
and I have to enter $ELINE1 into JES2 in order to reset it
I know I can go to Hercules web interface and type /$ELINE1
But can I do that from TSO?

Thanks
Simon

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
TSO is per user.

You want a JES2 command.

Something like d u,dasd,online will do the trick ... show you all online
disks and their volser.

You can also substitute TAPE, ... d u,tape,online

http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/oscmds.html

Joe

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:12 AM, SJ Kissane [hidden email] [H390-MVS] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am running TK4- update 8.
>
> Is there a TSO command in MVS 3.8J which will tell me what volumes are
> currently mounted?
>
> LIST SYS1.PARMLIB(VATLST00) will show me what volumes are mounted at IPL.
> But, it is conceivable that further volumes have been mounted since.
> So is there a TSO command which shows me which volumes are mounted right
> now?
> The equivalent of running "mount" on Unix.
>
> Also, is there a TSO command which lets me issue a console command from
> TSO?
> e.g. when playing around with RJE, sometimes I get the RJE line in a
> confused state
> and I have to enter $ELINE1 into JES2 in order to reset it
> I know I can go to Hercules web interface and type /$ELINE1
> But can I do that from TSO?
>
> Thanks
> Simon

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Sorry ... Engage brain! LOL

I meant to say you want an MVS command, not a JES2 command.

Everything else is the same.

Joe

On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:25 AM, Joe Monk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> TSO is per user.
>
> You want a JES2 command.
>
> Something like d u,dasd,online will do the trick ... show you all online
> disks and their volser.
>
> You can also substitute TAPE, ... d u,tape,online
>
> http://www.bsp-gmbh.com/hercules/oscmds.html
>
> Joe
>
> On Mon, Apr 3, 2017 at 7:12 AM, SJ Kissane [hidden email] [H390-MVS] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi
>>
>> I am running TK4- update 8.
>>
>> Is there a TSO command in MVS 3.8J which will tell me what volumes are
>> currently mounted?
>>
>> LIST SYS1.PARMLIB(VATLST00) will show me what volumes are mounted at IPL.
>> But, it is conceivable that further volumes have been mounted since.
>> So is there a TSO command which shows me which volumes are mounted right
>> now?
>> The equivalent of running "mount" on Unix.
>>
>> Also, is there a TSO command which lets me issue a console command from
>> TSO?
>> e.g. when playing around with RJE, sometimes I get the RJE line in a
>> confused state
>> and I have to enter $ELINE1 into JES2 in order to reset it
>> I know I can go to Hercules web interface and type /$ELINE1
>> But can I do that from TSO?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Simon

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

 - - - In [hidden email], <skissane@...> wrote:
> Hi
> I am running TK4- update 8.

Did you read the manual starting at page 12 to straighten out the consoles?

> Is there a TSO command in MVS 3.8J which will tell me what
>volumes are currently mounted?

There probably is but I don't know it.
A quick scan of the UCBs could produce one if you want
to write it.

You can issue a few system commands under TSO CP
OPER
but d u,dasd,online,,99 is not one of them.

You can submit a batch JOB to issue system commands.

//HERC01B  JOB (XXXXXXXX,XXXX,1439,9999,9999),BSPOSCMD-HERC01,
//             CLASS=A,MSGCLASS=C,
//             NOTIFY=HERC01,COND=(0,NE)
//BSPOSCMD EXEC PGM=BSPOSCMD,PARM='D U,DASD,ONLINE,,999'
//*
//CHECKCC EXEC PGM=IEFBR14
//

The output will be on the console.

> LIST SYS1.PARMLIB(VATLST00) will show me what volumes
>are mounted at IPL.
> But, it is conceivable that further volumes have been mounted since.
>So is there a TSO command which shows me which volumes
>are mounted right now?
>The equivalent of running "mount" on Unix.

VATLST00 and which volumes are mounted are different.
VATLST00 is to set default mount attributes and optionally notify the
operator to 'GO' if some volume is not available.

You should put all available volumes in VATLST00 to not take the
default attributes.  The standard MVS 3.8j default is PUBLIC but
hopefully, someone fixed that.

> Also, is there a TSO command which lets me issue a console command from TSO?
> e.g. when playing around with RJE, sometimes I get the RJE line in a
>confused state and I have to enter $ELINE1 into JES2 in order to reset it
> I know I can go to Hercules web interface and type /$ELINE1
> But can I do that from TSO?
> Thanks
> Simon

Ideally, using an integrated console would work for most people.
That is console 0009 or 001F is set to a 1052-C or 3215-C but
TK4-minus only gives two 'normal' options:

HERCULES.EXE -D for web-server mode unless the -D is removed.
or
telnet line-mode for hanging the system by setting either 0009 or
001F to a 1052 or 3215 without the -C

Read the TK4-minus manual starting at page 12 to try to get
out of the mess,

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

On 2017-04-03 10:12 PM, SJ Kissane [hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:
> So is there a TSO command which shows me
IMON option D can provide a display of I/O devices.

IMON option O can provide a way of issuing system commands.

The TSO command to invoke IMON is IM.

Cheers,
Greg

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Hi Simon

 A TSO command to list all mounted volumes is DVOL. And of course IMON, as mentioned by Greg, can be used to find out anything you can imagine...

 Cheers

 Jürgen

 P.S.: No need to read page 12 as proposed by somitcw, unless you are really interested in it. It doesn't contain any information pertinent to your question.

On 4/3/2017 12:25 PM, [hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:
> A TSO command to list all mounted volumes is DVOL. And of course IMON,
> as mentioned by Greg, can be used to find out anything you can imagine...
DVOL only lists available DASD volumes, but omits tapes. The original
query didn't restrict itself as to type.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Hi Gerhard

 > DVOL only lists available DASD volumes, but omits tapes.

 Exactly. From the OP question's context I was assuming he meant DASD.

 > The original query didn't restrict itself as to type.

 Of course it didn't explicitly... so, only the OP can tell. However, with the pointer to IMON he now has all options. So I think the problem should be solved for him .

 Cheers
 Jürgen

---In [hidden email], <gerhardp@...> wrote :

 On 4/3/2017 12:25 PM, winkelmann@... mailto:winkelmann@... [H390-MVS] wrote:
 > A TSO command to list all mounted volumes is DVOL. And of course IMON,
 > as mentioned by Greg, can be used to find out anything you can imagine...
 DVOL only lists available DASD volumes, but omits tapes. The original
 query didn't restrict itself as to type.

 Gerhard Postpischil
 Bradford, VT

 ---
 http://www.avg.com http://www.avg.com

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
On 4 April 2017 at 02:25, [hidden email] [H390-MVS] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simon
>

> A TSO command to list all mounted volumes is DVOL. And of course IMON, as
> mentioned by Greg, can be used to find out anything you can imagine...

Thank you Jürgen, that is exactly what I was looking for! And IMON option D
works as well.

And yes I was only thinking about DASD when I asked that question. I
haven't tried doing anything with tapes yet.

One small suggestion, if something like "LISTVOLS" could be added as an
alias for DVOL, it might make it easier for the uninitiated to find. Once
you know about LISTCAT and LISTDS (which I knew long before I ever actually
got my hands on TSO, from Bob DuCharme's OS handbook), you logically start
looking for things whose names start with LIST* (e.g. by typing DIR inside
FSHELP), and then you find other commands like LISTVTOC, but you might not
be thinking to look for something starting with "D".

Simon

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
On 3 April 2017 at 23:04, Greg Price [hidden email] [H390-MVS] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> IMON option O can provide a way of issuing system commands.
>
> The TSO command to invoke IMON is IM.

Thanks Greg. I had found IMON option O before, but was really confused by
it. No console messages ever appear in it for me. I can do stuff like login
to another TSO session (3270 or line mode), and I get a message on my
Hercules system console window but nothing in IMON.

I tried typing "/D U,DASD,ONLINE" as Joe suggested above (thanks Joe) and I
got nothing back, but I do get this message on the main Hercules window:
23.13.28          *00 IEA962A MESSAGE FOR INACTIVE CONSOLE 01.  REPLY
DELETE, OR OK.

I guess IMON is trying to use an inactive console 1? C1 and C2 both work
but show nothing. C2, C3, C4,C5 say "ERROR - NON-CRT CONSOLE". C6 and above
show "ERROR - CONSOLE ID INVALID".

I worked it out. Based on page 13 of Jürgen's doc
http://wotho.ethz.ch/tk4-/MVS_TK4-_v1.00_Users_Manual.pdf I have to do the
following steps:
a) from web interface: attach 010 3270 CONS
b) start 3270 session: c3270 CONS@localhost:3270
c) from web interface: /v 010,console,auth=all
d) now IMON O console C1 works

So now I get it. IMON O only works if you have an active 3270 console, but
by default when you start TK4- you don't.

Thanks
Simon

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
- - - In [hidden email], <winkelmann@...> wrote:
- - - beginning snipped - - -
> P.S.: No need to read page 12 as proposed by somitcw, unless
>you are really interested in it. It doesn't contain any information
>pertinent to your question.
- - - remaining snipped - - -

The question was how to issue MVS commands like
/d u,dasd,online,,999
and
/$eline1
without jumping through hoops.

One option is in the center of the first paragraph on
page 12:

"MVS console commands, however, can be issued if
Hercules hasn’t been started in daemon mode only."

Translated to English,
Copy the MVS startup .bat and remove the -d from
the command line that starts Hercules.

Another option is near the top of page 13,
the manual says:

"To add a console copy the corresponding statement
from tk4-/conf/extcons.cnf to the local configuration
file and remove the # from column one."
"To remove a console add the line
detach cuu
into the local configuration file, where cuu is the device
address (i.e. 010 or 01F) of the console to be removed."

Translated to English, copy or just add
0009 3215-C
without a pound sign in front to the local configuration file.
Also in the local configuration,file make certain
that 001F is dead, like:

detach 001F

Removing 0010 or 0011 is not needed and strange.

When people need to enter MVS commands, doesn't
it make sense to fix that after reading how to fix that
by reading the manual?

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

On 2017-04-04 8:37 AM, SJ Kissane [hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:
> So now I get it. IMON O only works if you have an active 3270 console

I really must get around to making T the default sub-option of option O...

but I've been typing IM OT so long I don't notice it.

Cheers,
Greg

Re: MVS 3.8J newbie questions

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
On 4 April 2017 at 12:34, Greg Price [hidden email] [H390-MVS] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-04-04 8:37 AM, SJ Kissane [hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:
> > So now I get it. IMON O only works if you have an active 3270 console
>
> I really must get around to making T the default sub-option of option O...
>
> but I've been typing IM OT so long I don't notice it.

Thanks Greg, that is exactly what I was looking for. A lot simpler than my
other approach.

Yes, making OT the default would make IMON much more newbie-friendly.

Simon