Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
While I was going thru my "archives" this morning, I found a yellow S/370
Reference Card, GX20-1850-5 (July 1984).

I was thinking of uploading it to bitsavers, if it would be of any use ...
It does appear to be a more current version than what is on there currently.

Would you like me to put it in the files are of this group also?

Joe

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Thanks Joe. The PDF I am using at the
moment is a bit grubby-looking so I'd
like a new one. There's a non-grubby
one I have too, but each page has
been scanned individually. I prefer
the whole 2 pages to be scanned
in a single scan (as the grubby one
has been).

The grubby one has a big blotch
at x'9f' at the EBCDIC spot (I
think it's actually a Euro) and
lots of other markings too.

The non-grubby one has a small
solid square at that spot, which
looks fine.

Hopefully the one you have hasn't
been "helpfully" annotated.

BFN. Paul.

 Joe

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Paul,

Here is a link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/il5r0t8scceu14g/Scan.pdf?dl=0

Joe

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 10:04 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Joe. The PDF I am using at the
> moment is a bit grubby-looking so I'd
> like a new one. There's a non-grubby
> one I have too, but each page has
> been scanned individually. I prefer
> the whole 2 pages to be scanned
> in a single scan (as the grubby one
> has been).
>
> The grubby one has a big blotch
> at x'9f' at the EBCDIC spot (I
> think it's actually a Euro) and
> lots of other markings too.
>
> The non-grubby one has a small
> solid square at that spot, which
> looks fine.
>
> Hopefully the one you have hasn't
> been "helpfully" annotated.
>
> BFN. Paul.
>
> ---In [hidden email], <joemonk64@...> wrote :
>
> While I was going thru my "archives" this morning, I found a yellow S/370
> Reference Card, GX20-1850-5 (July 1984).
>

> I was thinking of uploading it to bitsavers, if it would be of any use ...
> It does appear to be a more current version than what is on there currently.
>

> Would you like me to put it in the files are of this group also?
>

> Joe

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Joe,

Hope you don’t mind me taking a copy. I also note from the preface that the other manuals mentioned are “the authoritative reference sources”…

.. i.e. that the reference card may not be right…

Dave

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Not at all. Anyone is welcome to download.

Joe

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 3:14 PM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Joe,
>
> Hope you don’t mind me taking a copy. I also note from the preface that
> the other manuals mentioned are “the authoritative reference sources”…
>
> .. i.e. that the reference card may not be right…
>
> Dave

Thanks Joe.

It's in a nice 2-page format and the code
tables are clean, but it's a massive
download (200 MB) compared to less
than 1 MB for the others.

The others seem to be small because
they have been scanned black and
white.

The large size means it takes quite a
few seconds before a page can be
displayed, and even longer if I'm in
power saver mode.

Do you think it would be a good idea
to do a black & white scan too? I
can't tell if the other ones are grey
scale or b & w. I think they're b&w.

You might like to put some yellow
paper over your name when doing
the scan of the front page too to
get closer to the original.

BFN. Paul.

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
 > It's in a nice 2-page format and the code tables are clean, but it's
 > a massive download (200 MB) compared to less than 1 MB for the
 > others.

Here's a MUCH smaller (4 MB) cleaned up version.  It's one page up, but
most PDF readers will show you facing pages together anyway, so that
shouldn't be a big problem.

http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/gx20-1850-5.pdf

De

---In [hidden email], <drb@...> wrote :

>> It's in a nice 2-page format and the code tables are clean, but it's
>> a massive download (200 MB) compared to less than 1 MB for the
>> others.

> Here's a MUCH smaller (4 MB) cleaned up version.

Thanks. It's very pristine. Incredible
actually. As if it was a softcopy.

Unfortunately the pages are quite strange
on my system. The first and last pages are
big, but all the ones in the middle are
small.

I can zoom the small pages and view them
fine, but then the top and bottom pages
are ridiculously large.

Not a big problem, but different from the
previous scans I normally use.

> It's one page up, but
> most PDF readers will show you
> facing pages together anyway, so that
> shouldn't be a big problem.

My PDFs are opened by Microsoft Edge
and I didn't see any option to show two
pages together.

BFN. Paul.

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Here's a 2-up version...

 S370 Ref Card July84.pdf
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzuBrOqCCdXGOWRGTjhyZ3lPM0U/view?usp=drive_web>

Joe

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 7:29 PM, Dennis Boone [hidden email] [hercules-390] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> > It's in a nice 2-page format and the code tables are clean, but it's
> > a massive download (200 MB) compared to less than 1 MB for the
> > others.
>
> Here's a MUCH smaller (4 MB) cleaned up version. It's one page up, but
> most PDF readers will show you facing pages together anyway, so that
> shouldn't be a big problem.
>
> http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/gx20-1850-5.pdf
>
> De

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

- - - In [hidden email], <kerravon86@...> wrote:
- - - beginning snipped - - -
> The others seem to be small because
>they have been scanned black and
>white.
 - - - remaining snipped - - -

I liked the yellow cover but it does slow opening the file.

Could you OCR it?

I used PDF-XChange Editor/Document/OCR Pages...
followed by a Save-as for my copy but there are other
tools available.

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

 > Unfortunately the pages are quite strange on my system. The first and
 > last pages are big, but all the ones in the middle are small.

Hmm, I see the image editor set the dpi on the color pages to 72.  Nice
random choice, guys.

I've re-built the pdf with that fixed, and bookmarks as well.  Same URL.

De

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

 > I've re-built the pdf with that fixed, and bookmarks as well.  Same
 > URL.

One more rebuild, now with ocr'ed "text under" so it's searchable.  Size
of this final version is 4777957 bytes.

De

---In [hidden email], <drb@...> wrote :

> One more rebuild, now with ocr'ed "text under" so it's searchable. Size
> of this final version is 4777957 bytes.

Incredible.

I assume that the technology that has
been used to make the highest possible
quality porn has now been applied
against old IBM manuals with
incredible effect.

I just need to get used to seeing one
page of EBCDIC codes at a time.

BFN. Paul.

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

On Sun, 02 Apr 2017 20:29:13 -0400, "Dennis Boone [hidden email]
[hercules-390]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

  There is a GX20-1850-7 from 1989 at archive.org in many formats,
including a 2.1MiB PDF:

https://archive.org/download/bitsavers_ibm370refeystem370ReferenceSummaryFeb89_2167333

>  > It's in a nice 2-page format and the code tables are clean, but
>  > it's a massive download (200 MB) compared to less than 1 MB for the
>  > others.
>
> Here's a MUCH smaller (4 MB) cleaned up version.  It's one page up,
> but most PDF readers will show you facing pages together anyway, so
> that shouldn't be a big problem.
>
> http://yagi.h-net.msu.edu/gx20-1850-5.pdf
>
> De

> Files and archives at:
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
>   http://www.hercules-390.org
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

  Roxo

--
---------------- Non luctari, ludare -------------------+ WYSIWYG
Fernando M. Roxo da Motta <[hidden email]>                | Editor?
------------ Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?-------------+ I get text!

---In [hidden email], <mvs@...> wrote :

> There is a GX20-1850-7 from 1989 at
> archive.org in many formats,
> including a 2.1MiB PDF:

Thankyou. That is beautiful/pristine
too. And also I was able to search
for STD etc.

Well done everyone. This is a manual
I frequently need to reference.

BFN. Paul.

Re: Later S/370 Reference Card

Hercules390 - General mailing list
It's also available at "normal" bitsavers:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/referenceCard/

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/referenceCard/GX20-1850-7_System_370_Reference_Summary_Feb89.pdf

I confirmed this file is identical to the
one at archive.org.

BFN. Paul.