How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
A little stuck here.

I built Hyperion from the git repository, followed the instructions for
configure, make and make install.

When Hercules fires up, it has no ZLIB or BZIP-2 support and I need to
support CCKD format.

Can anyone advise how to configure to make sure ZLIB and BZIP-2 support are
built?

Wayne

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hello!
From what I recall, to build anything that needs those, you would need
to install the -devel packages. So follow the steps for installing
packages on to a Debian based system.
-----
Gregg C Levine [hidden email]

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Wayne Bickerdike [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A little stuck here.
>
> I built Hyperion from the git repository, followed the instructions for
> configure, make and make install.
>
> When Hercules fires up, it has no ZLIB or BZIP-2 support and I need to
> support CCKD format.
>
> Can anyone advise how to configure to make sure ZLIB and BZIP-2 support are
> built?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Wayne

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Thanks Gregg,

I found an old post eventually. Looks like I need:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hercules --enable-cckd-bzip2
--enable-het-bzip2

Couple of quirks compared to Windows build:

1) you can't build in the source directory
2) The Floating point support s3fh directory, I was confused by the
instructions.

Looking better now.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Gregg Levine [hidden email]

Wayne V. Bickerdike

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Hercules390 - General mailing list

On 3/23/2017 7:44 AM, Wayne Bickerdike [hidden email] [hercules-390]
wrote:

> Thanks Gregg,
>
> I found an old post eventually. Looks like I need:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hercules --enable-cckd-bzip2
> --enable-het-bzip2

Wayne,

That will not be sufficient. You are still going to need the -devel
packages : zlib1g-devel (for ZLIB) and bzlib-devel (BZIP2). use apt-get
install or whatever you are comfortable with.

The -devel packages contain the necessary header files (.h files) to
compile support for ZLIB & BZIP2 in other packages.

Once the header files are installed, you do not need to specify the
various --enable-[ckd|het]-[zlib|bzip2] as they are the default when the
respective .h files are present.

You only need to specify --enable-xxx-yyy=<location> if the
headers/libraries are installed in non standard locations. Alternatively
you can specify --disable-xxx-yyy if you specifically want to disable
support and the header files are found.

--Ivan

On 23/03/17 07:00, Wayne Bickerdike [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> Thanks Gregg,
>
> I found an old post eventually. Looks like I need:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hercules --enable-cckd-bzip2
> --enable-het-bzip2

Working from memory so the detail might be wrong, but as a general hint:
if you use something like  ./configure --help=recursive  it should try
to enumerate what can be enabled or disabled.

Once you know what's available, it's not too difficult to work out (on
Debian/Ubuntu etc.) what -dev packages to install.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
It is not.

All you get to know in general is that some file is missing.  First you
have to figure out what that is all about.  Then you have to figure out
which package it is in, and that varies unpredictably from distribution
to distribution.  Nontrivial.

On 03/23/2017 09:40 AM, Mark Morgan Lloyd
> Once you know what's available, it's not too difficult to work out (on
> Debian/Ubuntu etc.) what -dev packages to install.

RE: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Wayne,

Ivan is right. Prior to building Hyperion on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, in order to
obtain support for ZLIB and BZIP-2 (and Regina REXX), I added these packages
:

peter@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install zlib1g-dev

peter@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install libbz2-dev

peter@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install libregina3-dev          (for regina rexx)

The -enable. options on ./configure are not necessary.

Peter Jansen

On 3/23/2017 7:44 AM, Wayne Bickerdike  <mailto:[hidden email]>
[hidden email] [hercules-390]
wrote:

> Thanks Gregg,
>
> I found an old post eventually. Looks like I need:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/hercules --enable-cckd-bzip2
> --enable-het-bzip2

Wayne,

That will not be sufficient. You are still going to need the -devel
packages : zlib1g-devel (for ZLIB) and bzlib-devel (BZIP2). use apt-get
install or whatever you are comfortable with.

The -devel packages contain the necessary header files (.h files) to
compile support for ZLIB & BZIP2 in other packages.

Once the header files are installed, you do not need to specify the
various --enable-[ckd|het]-[zlib|bzip2] as they are the default when the
respective .h files are present.

You only need to specify --enable-xxx-yyy=<location> if the
headers/libraries are installed in non standard locations. Alternatively
you can specify --disable-xxx-yyy if you specifically want to disable
support and the header files are found.

--Ivan

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

On 3/23/2017 10:28 AM, 'John P. Hartmann' [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:
> It is not.
>
> All you get to know in general is that some file is missing.  First you
> have to figure out what that is all about.  Then you have to figure out
> which package it is in, and that varies unpredictably from distribution
> to distribution.  Nontrivial.

In general yes, it is highly dependent on the linux distrbution.
However, when one is familiar with a specific distribution and the
conventions used to locate the package by its intention, it becomes
fairly easy.

Furthermore, there are search tools on the Internet that allows one to
search which package contains such and such file for which and which
distribution, especially useful for those distributions using RPM.

It may be a little more complicated for slackware based systems or
systems using portage (but portage based systems should already include
all the necessary header files since installing a package implies
compiling the package from source).

Now... the OP did indicate (in the subject) that he was using Ubuntu LTS.

Under Ubuntu, the structure of packages is approximately the same as for
Debian (and uses the same packaging system).

The packages to install in this case are : (for cckd-bzip2, cckd-zlib,
het-bzip2, het-zlib) :

- zlib1g-dev
- libbz2-dev

These include the necessary header files to compile programs that want
to use ZLIB or BZIP2 APIs (like hercules with cckd/het-zlib/bzip2 support).
The libraries themselves are dependencies and will get automatically
installed if necessary - but are usually already installed as part of
dependencies from other packages installed during initial installation
of the system.

--Ivan

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

On 3/23/2017 10:37 AM, 'Peter J. Jansen' [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Ivan is right. Prior to building Hyperion on Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS, in
> order to obtain support for ZLIB and BZIP-2 (and Regina REXX), I added
> these packages :
>
> peter@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install zlib1g- dev
>
> peter@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install libbz2-dev
>
> peter@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt install libregina3-dev          (for regina rexx)

Peter,

For HAO, you may also need libpcre3-dev .. I think

--Ivan

On 23/03/17 10:00, Ivan Warren [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> On 3/23/2017 10:28 AM, 'John P. Hartmann' [hidden email]
> [hercules-390] wrote:
>> It is not.
>>
>> All you get to know in general is that some file is missing.  First you
>> have to figure out what that is all about.  Then you have to figure out
>> which package it is in, and that varies unpredictably from distribution
>> to distribution.  Nontrivial.
>>
> In general yes, it is highly dependent on the linux distrbution.
> However, when one is familiar with a specific distribution and the
> conventions used to locate the package by its intention, it becomes
> fairly easy.

Thanks Ivan. In my case I've also got a log of what's gone onto each
system, which helps work out the -dev package name. Or at least I've got
that on Debian/Ubuntu, but haven't been quite so systematic on the
surviving Slackware systems :-)

In any event, I'd like to stress that I'm not saying that this is in any
way a Hercules shortcoming: I'm sure that there is some way that
configure  could make discovery of the full set of options easier. The
--help option is of course a GNU convention which they do not document
as taking a parameter, so they're effectively breaking their own
standard here.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk

RE: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Ivan,

Yes, I think you are right again. At least under SUSE SLES 11 & 12 I
installed "pcre-devel" (in addition to "libbz2-devel" and "zlib-devel";
these are the SUSE SLES package names for anyone interested).

However, so far under Ubuntu I did not install "libpcre3-dev", and have not
yet encountered any error messages or anomalies, whilst I am using HAO (for
the automatic adding of TAP's to bridge br0 at IPL time). Could this be due
to the fact the "libprce3" is installed by default ? Is there a way to know
for sure whether "libpcre3-devel" is actually needed or not ?

Thanks,

Peter Jansen

P.S.: I'm now in the process of installing Debian (Jessie 8.7.1, both amd64
and s390x) because indeed, as you had stated, Debian s390x installs without
problems (using QETH / QDIO). All my other s390x attempts (SLES, Ubuntu, RH,
TumbleWeed) were frustrating because of problems . which could very well be
Hercules related; not sure yet.

On 3/23/2017 10:37 AM, 'Peter J. Jansen' [hidden email]
<mailto:[hidden email]>

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]___

Re: How do I compile ZLIB and BZIP-2 into Hercules Hyperion 4.0 on Ubuntu Linux 16 LTS

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Thanks everyone for the advice. I figured out the -dev packages were
needed, unfortunately I have now encountered some hard drive failures, so
I'm shopping for an SSD before I can continue :(

<rant>
Just an aside, I converted this older machine over to Ubuntu because I'd
been having numerous problems with Win7 after a disastrous Win10 upgrade.

Symptoms were a massive slow down, random freezes but no obvious hard error
messages. CHKDSK didn't find anything. I replaced the 4GB memory with 8GB
and still no relief. After  re-installing Win7, I lost the ability to turn
on my wireless adapter (Windows could see it but the soft keys to turn it
on didn't work).

The vanilla Ubuntu install loaded the wireless drivers and I was good to
go, except overnight my machine crashed and Ubuntu found a gazillion hard
drive errors. Not sure why Windoze can't be as smart in finding faults.
</end rant>

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 12:09 AM, 'Peter J. Jansen' [hidden email]