Hey - (Ivan de hercules)

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Bonjour Jean Louis,

Bizarre que ton adresse IPv6

NetRange:       2001:470:: - 2001:470:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF
CIDR:           2001:470::/32
NetName:        HURRICANE-IPV6

soit par Hurricane au Canada - Alors que l'adresse de ton whois sur ton
nom de domaine soit en belgique !

Sinon, tu utilises Gandi comme registrar .. Mais surtout je cherche un
serveur de backup DNS aussi (Moi je passe tout par mes serveurs et les
serveurs de backup de Online SAS)...Tu as des idées ?

**** Just in case you are not a french speaker *****

Hey Jean Louis,

Odd IPv6 address .. (see above)

so through Hurricane in Canada?? Although your whois info for your
domain name inficate you are in Belgium !

But you seem to be using Gandi as a registrar... But I'm also looking
for a backup DNS server (I'm using my own servers and my provider's
backup servers)... Any ideas ?

Thanks/Merci

--Ivan

I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Trying to send a private message...

And the unexpected reply-to kicks in....

And then everyone knows about my private conversations....

Sorry Jean Louis...

--Ivan

Re: I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

Hercules390 - General mailing list

Not everybody speaks French, so your conversation is safe with me.

And the unexpected reply-to kicks in....

And then everyone knows about my private conversations....

Sorry Jean Louis...

--Ivan

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

__._,_.___

Posted by: " Richard Pinion" <[hidden email]>

  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.hercules-390.org

.

__,_._,___

Re: I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

On Fri, 2/17/17, Ivan Warren [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Trying to send a private message...
 And the unexpected reply-to kicks in....
 And then everyone knows about my private conversations....

Et c'est la deuxième fois que ça vous arrive je pense. :-)

Bien cordialement,

Rene FERLAND, Montreal

Re: I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

On 2/18/2017 1:59 AM, ' Richard Pinion' [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

> Not everybody speaks French, so your conversation is safe with me.

Oh I had provided a (so-so) English translation for my french ;) So that
"security through obfuscation" wasn't really effective ;)

--Ivan

Re: I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

On 2/18/2017 2:19 AM, René Ferland [hidden email] [hercules-390]
wrote:

> On Fri, 2/17/17, Ivan Warren [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>   Trying to send a private message...
>   And the unexpected reply-to kicks in....
>   And then everyone knows about my private conversations....
>
> Et c'est la deuxième fois que ça vous arrive je pense. :-)
>
> Bien cordialement,
>
> Rene FERLAND, Montreal

Repeat offender !
--
Recidiviste !

--Ivan

RE: I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

Ivan Warren wrote:

> Trying to send a private message...
>
> And the unexpected reply-to kicks in....
>
> And then everyone knows about my private conversations....
>
> Sorry Jean Louis...

I am of course sorry this happened to you again Ivan, but I'm just curious:

Is it Yahoo's screwy (poorly designed) user interface that makes such mistakes easier to be made?

Or is Yahoo actually not honoring (or worse not even supporting?) constructing a private reply to a group post?

I guess what I'm asking is, did you actually specify the other party (and ONLY the other party) as the "To:" that your reply was to be delivered to?

Or was it simply a matter of poor user interface design that makes doing such simply things more difficult so that it's easier to make such mistakes by accident?

One thing is for sure: Yahoo has surely gone downhill over the years.  :(

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories

Re: I HATE YAHOO GROUPS !

On Fri, Feb 17, 2017 at 06:48:31PM -0800, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)' [hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> Is it Yahoo's screwy (poorly designed) user interface that makes such
> mistakes easier to be made?

Probably not.  I don't see an X-Mailer header in Ivan's post.  But from the
X-Received headers in his post it looks like he sent it to Yahoo via e-mail.

> Or is Yahoo actually not honoring (or worse not even supporting?)
> constructing a private reply to a group post?

Actually it's probably from Yahoo's attempt to give people the information
they need to construct a private reply.  To avoid DMARC issues Yahoo alters
the From header in mailing list messages it receives via e-mail.  It moves
the original sender's e-mail address to the name portion of the From header
and inserts the list address in the address portion of the header.  So it
looks like the message was sent from the mailing list's address, not from
the original sender's address.  For example, when I viewed your message, the
one I'm replying to, via e-mail its from header looked something like:

    From: "''Fish' (David B. Trout)' [hidden email] [hercules-390]" <[hidden email]>

Of course, Yahoo will probably mangle anything resembling an e-mail address
above for those viewing my reply via Yahoo's suboptimal web interface.

Let's see if I can give a description of what it looks like that Yahoo won't
mangle:

When replying it would be easy to look at the to field, see the first e-mail
address, the one that's actually in the name portion, and think one's
replying to that address instead of to the list.

DMARC is more trouble than its worth and has broken traditional mailing list
functionality.  I manage a few mailman based mailing lists for a local
canine agility group and have had to deal with DMARC.  Actually, I was using
Ecartis for the mailing lists, but it's no longer maintained and had no way
to deal with DMARC issues.  So I ended up switching to mailman for it's
DMARC work-arounds.

--

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

RE: Hey - (Ivan de hercules)

Bonjour Ivan,

Elle fait partie du pool d’Amsterdam d’Hurricane Electric.

Et il sont Américains : https://www.he.net/about_us.html

C’est possible pour le DNS.

Bye,

Jean-Louis