Hercules 4.0.0.rc0 Vs 4.0.0.8745

Hercules390 - General mailing list
 Hi, Can someone please explain what the difference between 4.0.0.rc0 from
Github and 4.0..0.8745 from SDL is ? Best regards,

RE: Hercules 4.0.0.rc0 Vs 4.0.0.8745

Someone said:

> Hi, Can someone please explain what the difference between
> 4.0.0.rc0 from Github and 4.0..0.8745 from SDL is?

One contains changes and enhancements the other doesn't and vice versa and each are built differently as well.  As far as what those changes and enhancements are, I'm afraid you'll simply have to compare their commit logs with each other.

I'm not familiar with precisely when rc0 was created (and thus precisely what fixes and enhancements the current repository has that rc0 doesn't), but for the most part the SDL Hyperion contains the same fixes the non-SDL Hyperion does.

I monitor the fixes that are made to the non-SDL Hyperion and apply the same fixes (although not necessarily in the same way) to my SDL Hyperion as well, so *functionally* they should be identical (i.e. *ideally*, they should both, for the most part, behave identically).

As far as building each goes, *that*, I'm afraid, is quite different.  My SDL Hyperion is built the same way Hercules has always been build.  There is virtually no change(*) in that regard.

The build procedure for the non-SDL Hyperion however is quite convoluted IHO.  (But that's just my personal opinion.)

The differences will only get worse as time goes by due to the different teams responsible for maintaining each fork, but as I said, I am trying (and will continue to try) to ensure my SDL Hyperion contains all important fixes to Hercules's overall emulation while still reserving the right (since it's my fork!) to make changes and enhancements to my fork that might not (will unlikely) make it into the non-SDL fork of Hyperion.

That's the best I can explain things I'm afraid.  I'm not going to list precisely what changes or modifications are in one that aren't in the other (since there are far too many) but for the most part they should be functionally "the same".

For now anyway.  ;-)

HTH

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories

RE: Hercules 4.0.0.rc0 Vs 4.0.0.8745

Fish wrote:

[...]
> As far as building each goes, *that*, I'm afraid, is quite
> different.  My SDL Hyperion is built the same way Hercules
> has always been built.  There is virtually no change(*)
> in that regard.

(*) My SDL Hyperion's implementation of External Package integration for example is quite different, requiring special considerations if building "debug" builds of Hercules (refer to the README.EXTPKG document), but for normal production non-debug "Retail" (Release) builds no extra steps or considerations should be needed.  Just build Hercules just like you always have.

Again, please refer to the README.EXTPKG document (as well as the RELEASE.NOTES document too) for more information.

HTH

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]

Re: Hercules 4.0.0.rc0 Vs 4.0.0.8745

Thank you for your reply. I found the SDL 4.0.0.8597 and above to be the
most stable version.
Best regards, Aaron