Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Help!

Can anyone tell me what Fault code 3A00 means for a SCSI tape drive?

It MAY be specific to just this particular manufacturer/model (Overland L490E), -or- it may not.

I tried Googling and the only hits I could find mentioned SCSI ASC/ASCQ code 3A00 as meaning Drive Not Ready, Medium Not Present, which seems logical but has me concerned.

It occurs whenever I press the front panel "Load/Unload" button to try and manually load any one of the drive's 10 slots.

The drive pulls the cartridge out of the slot and, I'm presuming, moves it to the tape drive and then tries to load it.  (Once it sucks it out of the slot and disappears, I can no longer see what it's trying to do.)

I don't have a computer system I can connect this beast to, so I'm doing this testing without it being physically connected to anything.  I'm wondering if that might be the reason for the "fault" code.  I tried connecting a terminator and that didn't help.  I then tried connecting the SCSI cable too, but that didn't help either.  Finally, I tried connecting the other end of the SCSI cable to the SCSI adapter card (hoping that maybe the adapter card had a built-in terminator feature), but that didn't help either since, I'm guessing, the card wasn't plugged into any powered on computer bus.

So I'm now worried that the drive itself might be bad.

Or perhaps all 10 cartridges?

The unit has been sitting here, unused, for many years now, and I'm worried that either the tape drive itself it gummed up (dirty and in need of cleaning), or that the cartridges themselves are.  Do tape drives and/or cartridges have a shelf life?  Do they go "bad" after a few years if they're not used?

A good friend has expressed interest in the drive but I'm understandably reluctant to ship it to him if I know for a fact that it's broken and doesn't work (although he may want it anyway; he may be able to get it fixed easier than I can).

Can anybody help me out?  Is there anyone out there with SCSI tape drive experience (particularly this specific model if possible!) that can tell me whether or not fault code 3A00 means: a) the drive truly is bad and needs repaired, or b) it simply needs to be connected to a powered on computer?

Thanks!

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
http://sunstarco.com/legacy-td/3480-2/l490e/
claims simple screwdrivers are all that are needed for repairs.

http://support.bull.com/ols/product/storage/lib/overland/l490e
seems to have the manuals but requires id and password.

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
[hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Help!
>
> Can anyone tell me what Fault code 3A00 means for a SCSI tape drive?
>
> It MAY be specific to just this particular manufacturer/model (Overland L490E), -or- it may not.
>
> I tried Googling and the only hits I could find mentioned SCSI ASC/ASCQ code 3A00 as meaning Drive Not Ready, Medium Not Present, which seems logical but has me concerned.
>
> It occurs whenever I press the front panel "Load/Unload" button to try and manually load any one of the drive's 10 slots.
>
> The drive pulls the cartridge out of the slot and, I'm presuming, moves it to the tape drive and then tries to load it.  (Once it sucks it out of the slot and disappears, I can no longer see what it's trying to do.)
>
> I don't have a computer system I can connect this beast to, so I'm doing this testing without it being physically connected to anything.  I'm wondering if that might be the reason for the "fault" code.  I tried connecting a terminator and that didn't help.  I then tried connecting the SCSI cable too, but that didn't help either.  Finally, I tried connecting the other end of the SCSI cable to the SCSI adapter card (hoping that maybe the adapter card had a built-in terminator feature), but that didn't help either since, I'm guessing, the card wasn't plugged into any powered on computer bus.
>
> So I'm now worried that the drive itself might be bad.
>
> Or perhaps all 10 cartridges?
>
> The unit has been sitting here, unused, for many years now, and I'm worried that either the tape drive itself it gummed up (dirty and in need of cleaning), or that the cartridges themselves are.  Do tape drives and/or cartridges have a shelf life?  Do they go "bad" after a few years if they're not used?
>
> A good friend has expressed interest in the drive but I'm understandably reluctant to ship it to him if I know for a fact that it's broken and doesn't work (although he may want it anyway; he may be able to get it fixed easier than I can).
>
> Can anybody help me out?  Is there anyone out there with SCSI tape drive experience (particularly this specific model if possible!) that can tell me whether or not fault code 3A00 means: a) the drive truly is bad and needs repaired, or b) it simply needs to be connected to a powered on computer?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> "Fish" (David B. Trout)
> Software Development Laboratories
> http://www.softdevlabs.com
> mail: [hidden email]
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: "\"Fish\" \(David B. Trout\)" <[hidden email]>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Community email addresses:
>   Post message: [hidden email]
>   Subscribe:    [hidden email]
>   Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
>   List owner:   [hidden email]
>
> Files and archives at:
>   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
>   http://www.hercules-390.org
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>



--
Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA
Where do Forest Rangers go to get away from it all?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Mike Schwab wrote:

[...]
> http://support.bull.com/ols/product/storage/lib/overland/l490e
> seems to have the manuals but requires id and password.

Thanks Mike!

I tried registering but it wouldn't let me.  Kept coming up with some type of error.

I filled out their "Contact Us" web form explaining who I was and what I needed and why.

Does anyone else have an account at Bull?


(I think it might be the cartridges. When it fails and the fault light lights up and fault code appears, it also says to remove the cartridge and won't try the next one until I do.)

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]


> -----Original Message-----
> From: [hidden email] [mailto:hercules-
> [hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, April 21, 2017 5:36 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [hercules-390] Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"
> Importance: High
>
>
>
> http://sunstarco.com/legacy-td/3480-2/l490e/
> claims simple screwdrivers are all that are needed for repairs.
>
> http://support.bull.com/ols/product/storage/lib/overland/l490e
> seems to have the manuals but requires id and password.
>
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 1:53 PM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
> [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Help!
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what Fault code 3A00 means for a SCSI tape drive?
> >
> > It MAY be specific to just this particular manufacturer/model
> (Overland L490E), -or- it may not.
> >
> > I tried Googling and the only hits I could find mentioned SCSI
> ASC/ASCQ code 3A00 as meaning Drive Not Ready, Medium Not Present,
> which seems logical but has me concerned.
> >
> > It occurs whenever I press the front panel "Load/Unload" button to
> try and manually load any one of the drive's 10 slots.
> >
> > The drive pulls the cartridge out of the slot and, I'm presuming,
> moves it to the tape drive and then tries to load it. (Once it sucks it
> out of the slot and disappears, I can no longer see what it's trying to
> do.)
> >
> > I don't have a computer system I can connect this beast to, so I'm
> doing this testing without it being physically connected to anything.
> I'm wondering if that might be the reason for the "fault" code. I tried
> connecting a terminator and that didn't help. I then tried connecting
> the SCSI cable too, but that didn't help either. Finally, I tried
> connecting the other end of the SCSI cable to the SCSI adapter card
> (hoping that maybe the adapter card had a built-in terminator feature),
> but that didn't help either since, I'm guessing, the card wasn't
> plugged into any powered on computer bus.
> >
> > So I'm now worried that the drive itself might be bad.
> >
> > Or perhaps all 10 cartridges?
> >
> > The unit has been sitting here, unused, for many years now, and I'm
> worried that either the tape drive itself it gummed up (dirty and in
> need of cleaning), or that the cartridges themselves are. Do tape
> drives and/or cartridges have a shelf life? Do they go "bad" after a
> few years if they're not used?
> >
> > A good friend has expressed interest in the drive but I'm
> understandably reluctant to ship it to him if I know for a fact that
> it's broken and doesn't work (although he may want it anyway; he may be
> able to get it fixed easier than I can).
> >
> > Can anybody help me out? Is there anyone out there with SCSI tape
> drive experience (particularly this specific model if possible!) that
> can tell me whether or not fault code 3A00 means: a) the drive truly is
> bad and needs repaired, or b) it simply needs to be connected to a
> powered on computer?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > "Fish" (David B. Trout)
> > Software Development Laboratories
> > http://www.softdevlabs.com
> > mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
 From previous experience of cart tape drives :

Have you tried loading a cleaning tape and let it do through the clean
cycle?

Or does it report the same thing?

Another possibility is that scsi termination is not correctly set on the
drive unit for what you have the cable connected to or not.

Termination is IMPORTANT.

Vince



On 21/04/17 19:53, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)' [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

>
> Help!
>
> Can anyone tell me what Fault code 3A00 means for a SCSI tape drive?
>
> It MAY be specific to just this particular manufacturer/model
> (Overland L490E), -or- it may not.
>
> I tried Googling and the only hits I could find mentioned SCSI
> ASC/ASCQ code 3A00 as meaning Drive Not Ready, Medium Not Present,
> which seems logical but has me concerned.
>
> It occurs whenever I press the front panel "Load/Unload" button to try
> and manually load any one of the drive's 10 slots.
>
> The drive pulls the cartridge out of the slot and, I'm presuming,
> moves it to the tape drive and then tries to load it. (Once it sucks
> it out of the slot and disappears, I can no longer see what it's
> trying to do.)
>
> I don't have a computer system I can connect this beast to, so I'm
> doing this testing without it being physically connected to anything.
> I'm wondering if that might be the reason for the "fault" code. I
> tried connecting a terminator and that didn't help. I then tried
> connecting the SCSI cable too, but that didn't help either. Finally, I
> tried connecting the other end of the SCSI cable to the SCSI adapter
> card (hoping that maybe the adapter card had a built-in terminator
> feature), but that didn't help either since, I'm guessing, the card
> wasn't plugged into any powered on computer bus.
>
> So I'm now worried that the drive itself might be bad.
>
> Or perhaps all 10 cartridges?
>
> The unit has been sitting here, unused, for many years now, and I'm
> worried that either the tape drive itself it gummed up (dirty and in
> need of cleaning), or that the cartridges themselves are. Do tape
> drives and/or cartridges have a shelf life? Do they go "bad" after a
> few years if they're not used?
>
> A good friend has expressed interest in the drive but I'm
> understandably reluctant to ship it to him if I know for a fact that
> it's broken and doesn't work (although he may want it anyway; he may
> be able to get it fixed easier than I can).
>
> Can anybody help me out? Is there anyone out there with SCSI tape
> drive experience (particularly this specific model if possible!) that
> can tell me whether or not fault code 3A00 means: a) the drive truly
> is bad and needs repaired, or b) it simply needs to be connected to a
> powered on computer?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> "Fish" (David B. Trout)
> Software Development Laboratories
> http://www.softdevlabs.com
> mail: [hidden email]
>



------------------------------------

------------------------------------

Community email addresses:
  Post message: [hidden email]
  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

Files and archives at:
  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390

Get the latest version of Hercules from:
  http://www.hercules-390.org


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [hidden email]
    [hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Chances are the 3A00 means that there is nothing there to drive the robot
to tell it what to do. Its not getting any commands via the SCSI bus.

Joe

On Sat, Apr 22, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Vince Coen [hidden email] [hercules-390]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  From previous experience of cart tape drives :
>
> Have you tried loading a cleaning tape and let it do through the clean
> cycle?
>
> Or does it report the same thing?
>
> Another possibility is that scsi termination is not correctly set on the
> drive unit for what you have the cable connected to or not.
>
> Termination is IMPORTANT.
>
> Vince
>
>
>
> On 21/04/17 19:53, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)' [hidden email]
> [hercules-390] wrote:
> >
> > Help!
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what Fault code 3A00 means for a SCSI tape drive?
> >
> > It MAY be specific to just this particular manufacturer/model
> > (Overland L490E), -or- it may not.
> >
> > I tried Googling and the only hits I could find mentioned SCSI
> > ASC/ASCQ code 3A00 as meaning Drive Not Ready, Medium Not Present,
> > which seems logical but has me concerned.
> >
> > It occurs whenever I press the front panel "Load/Unload" button to try
> > and manually load any one of the drive's 10 slots.
> >
> > The drive pulls the cartridge out of the slot and, I'm presuming,
> > moves it to the tape drive and then tries to load it. (Once it sucks
> > it out of the slot and disappears, I can no longer see what it's
> > trying to do.)
> >
> > I don't have a computer system I can connect this beast to, so I'm
> > doing this testing without it being physically connected to anything.
> > I'm wondering if that might be the reason for the "fault" code. I
> > tried connecting a terminator and that didn't help. I then tried
> > connecting the SCSI cable too, but that didn't help either. Finally, I
> > tried connecting the other end of the SCSI cable to the SCSI adapter
> > card (hoping that maybe the adapter card had a built-in terminator
> > feature), but that didn't help either since, I'm guessing, the card
> > wasn't plugged into any powered on computer bus.
> >
> > So I'm now worried that the drive itself might be bad.
> >
> > Or perhaps all 10 cartridges?
> >
> > The unit has been sitting here, unused, for many years now, and I'm
> > worried that either the tape drive itself it gummed up (dirty and in
> > need of cleaning), or that the cartridges themselves are. Do tape
> > drives and/or cartridges have a shelf life? Do they go "bad" after a
> > few years if they're not used?
> >
> > A good friend has expressed interest in the drive but I'm
> > understandably reluctant to ship it to him if I know for a fact that
> > it's broken and doesn't work (although he may want it anyway; he may
> > be able to get it fixed easier than I can).
> >
> > Can anybody help me out? Is there anyone out there with SCSI tape
> > drive experience (particularly this specific model if possible!) that
> > can tell me whether or not fault code 3A00 means: a) the drive truly
> > is bad and needs repaired, or b) it simply needs to be connected to a
> > powered on computer?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --
> > "Fish" (David B. Trout)
> > Software Development Laboratories
> > http://www.softdevlabs.com
> > mail: [hidden email]
> >
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Community email addresses:
>   Post message: [hidden email]
>   Subscribe:    [hidden email]
>   Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
>   List owner:   [hidden email]
>
> Files and archives at:
>   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hercules-390
>
> Get the latest version of Hercules from:
>   http://www.hercules-390.org
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
Vince Coen wrote:

> From previous experience of cart tape drives:
>
> Have you tried loading a cleaning tape and let it
> go through the clean cycle?
>
> Or does it report the same thing?

Unfortunately I don't have a cleaning cartridge to try or I would.  :(

I used to have one (as well as a whole box of brand new cartridges someone bought me a long time (years) ago when I was first working on Hercules SCSI tape support for Windows), but I seem to have misplaced it.  :(


> Another possibility is that scsi termination
> is not correctly set on the drive unit
> for what you have the cable connected to or not.
>
> Termination is IMPORTANT.

Yes, That's what I'm HOPING is the problem.  But when the fault occurs is says to remove the cartridge which is what has me worried.

You would think the drive would at least *load* the tape and them simply say "Not Ready" because there's nothing for it to talk to (which I believe is what it used to do when I originally had it hooked up to my old computer), but that's not what it's doing.  It's saying to remove the cartridge, as if there's something about the cartridge itself that it doesn't like.

I tried the first 6 of the 10 slots (all 10 slots are populated with what used to be brand new cartridges) but gave up after the 6th failure.  That's when I tried connecting the cables but that didn't work either.  :(

Oh well.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best I guess.  <shrug>

Thanks.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
Joe Monk wrote:

> Chances are the 3A00 means that there is nothing there
> to drive the robot to tell it what to do. It's not getting
> any commands via the SCSI bus.

That's what I'm *hoping*, yes.

But I don't recall it ever behaving that way before, which is why I'm worried.  If I can trust my aging memory, back when I was actively playing with this thing (years ago) I would turn the tape drive on first and let it go through its self test power-on procedure (which takes a couple (2? 3?) minutes) and *then* power on my computer (so the drive would be ready to respond to Windows during the reboot), and I don't recall it ever displaying this fault.

It also worked the other way around too: booting Windows first, and then once Windows was ready, turn on the tape drive.  That would work okay too (although I seem to recall having to ask Windows to re-scan for device changes before it would show up in Windows's device tree).

But I don't recall it ever displaying a fault code like it is now, which is what has me worried.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]




Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In my previous post I did 'assume' that you had the correct SCSI driver
loaded along with any others needed for the tape robot / cartridge set.

If not an possible reason. Sorry I have nothing to look it up against as
I sold off my last unit 2 - 3 years ago on eBay where I got an absolute
fortune.


NOT.

10 pounds maybe and that was with a big pack of tapes.

More trouble than it was worth :(

Vince


On 22/04/17 16:16, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)' [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

>
> Joe Monk wrote:
>
> > Chances are the 3A00 means that there is nothing there
> > to drive the robot to tell it what to do. It's not getting
> > any commands via the SCSI bus.
>
> That's what I'm *hoping*, yes.
>
> But I don't recall it ever behaving that way before, which is why I'm
> worried. If I can trust my aging memory, back when I was actively
> playing with this thing (years ago) I would turn the tape drive on
> first and let it go through its self test power-on procedure (which
> takes a couple (2? 3?) minutes) and *then* power on my computer (so
> the drive would be ready to respond to Windows during the reboot), and
> I don't recall it ever displaying this fault.
>
> It also worked the other way around too: booting Windows first, and
> then once Windows was ready, turn on the tape drive. That would work
> okay too (although I seem to recall having to ask Windows to re-scan
> for device changes before it would show up in Windows's device tree).
>
> But I don't recall it ever displaying a fault code like it is now,
> which is what has me worried.
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: Help! SCSI Tape Drive "Fault 3A00"

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Vince Coen wrote:

> In my previous post I did 'assume' that you had the correct
> SCSI driver loaded along with any others needed for the tape
> robot / cartridge set.

Unfortunately, no.  The last system I had when I last used this thing was, I believe, a cheap 64-bit Windows XP x64 system, and the card's manufacturer (Tekram) didn't have a 64-bit device driver for it, so I had to "hack" Sony's .inf device driver installation file to force Windows to load and use Sony's device driver with it in order to get it to work at all.

When that system was replaced with my first Dell Precision 530 workstation, I tried installing the card in it but could never get it to work.  My system wouldn't even make it past POST (Power On Self Test).  My current system is a slightly newer Dell Precision T7500 and when I got it I never even bothered to try it with it since I figured if it didn't work with the previous Dell Precision 530 it sure as heck wasn't going to work with my newer Dell Precision T7500 system.  Since then, the unit's been sitting here collecting dust.

So no, I'm unable (unwilling) to try and install the card in my current system and thus have been simply trying to load tapes without it being physically connected to anything.  I'm *hoping* that's the reason for the fault code, but thought I'd ask the group in case anyone out there might know for sure (might be able to verify yes or not that that is indeed the reason for the fault code: that it's not hooked up to anything).


> If not an possible reason. Sorry I have nothing to look it up
> against as I sold off my last unit 2 - 3 years ago on eBay where
> I got an absolute fortune.
>
> NOT.
>
> 10 pounds maybe and that was with a big pack of tapes.
>
> More trouble than it was worth  :(

I hear you.

The only ones I've seen for sale are all asking $2,300 US for them.  I have no idea whether or not that's their actual worth or not, but given their rarity these days I wouldn't be surprised.  If someone really, truly wants one they are either going to have to pay through the nose for them or else pretend they're only mildly interested but are willing to "take it off your hands" for much less in order to get the seller to drop the price (which sounds like what happened to you).

Me?  I'm willing to take whatever the buyer wants to give me just to get it out of the apartment.  It's a boat anchor to me.

But I don't want a friend to pay me good money for it (which I *very* much need!) if it doesn't work.

Which is why I thought I'd ask the group.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]