HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved here. https://github.com/hercules-390/hyperion/commit/ed1ff43b98bcb64796e92fcaa02c6a0b8afced14 (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
 Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.

 What I tested so far:
 CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
 Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works

 Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault

 The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or the OS that hosts Hercules?

 

 BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).
 

 And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to it?

 

 Ciao.....Mike

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
i'm very new to this, but I've only seen that when Hercules isn't compiled with compression. Many of the distro-provided binaries don't seem to be.  

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 15, 2017, at 6:58 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved here. (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
>
> Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.
>
> What I tested so far:
>
> CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
>
> Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works
>
> Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault
>
> The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or the OS that hosts Hercules?
>
>
>
> BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).
>
>
>
> And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to it?
>
>
>
> Ciao.....Mike
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 13:58 +0000, [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

>
>
> Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that
> HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved
> here. (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
>
> Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under
> VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to
> host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it
> runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.
>
>
> What I tested so far:
>
> CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
>
> Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works
>
>
> Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault
>
>
> The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions
> are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who
> is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or
> the OS that hosts Hercules?
>
>
>
> BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in
> Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run
> faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).

It is a segmentation fault in the host process running Hercules, not the
guest OS.  The hardware being emulated by Hercules, the Hercules process
experienced the failure.  Hence it is reported as a Machine Check
interruption to the guest.  The "hardware", Hercules, broke.

This is triggered by the host operating system, a problem in the
compiled Hercules code or Hercules itself.  

While the root causes of a segmentation fault may have parallels in a
Hercules guest, the term 'segmentation fault' itself is foreign to a
Hercules guest program.  

In a Hercules guest such parallel causes would result in a program
interruption with an interruption code.

>
>
> And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to
> it?
>
>
>
> Ciao.....Mike
>
>
>
>
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
I compiled Hercules only once - and failed. That was long ago, when Cygwin was a prerequisite for Hercules on Windows. Since then I use the compiled offers. If possible, I'll do so also in future.

Ciao.....Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
When I have built hercules with optimization I get a wait state

My platform is windows I was using the intel compiler



> On May 15, 2017, at 10:44 AM, Zachary Kline [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> i'm very new to this, but I've only seen that when Hercules isn't compiled with compression. Many of the distro-provided binaries don't seem to be.  
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On May 15, 2017, at 6:58 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  
>> Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved here. (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
>>
>> Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.
>>
>> What I tested so far:
>>
>> CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
>>
>> Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works
>>
>> Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault
>>
>> The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or the OS that hosts Hercules?
>>
>>
>>
>> BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).
>>
>>
>>
>> And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to it?
>>
>>
>>
>> Ciao.....Mike
>>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
In reply to this post by Hercules390 - General mailing list
---In [hidden email], <h.grovsteen@...> wrote :

> While the root causes of a segmentation fault may have parallels in a
> Hercules guest, the term 'segmentation fault' itself is foreign to a
> Hercules guest program.

What about if the Hercules guest is z/Linux?
Does that have the concept or terminology
of "segmentation fault"?

BFN. Paul.
Loading...