HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved here. https://github.com/hercules-390/hyperion/commit/ed1ff43b98bcb64796e92fcaa02c6a0b8afced14 (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
 Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.

 What I tested so far:
 CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
 Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works

 Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault

 The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or the OS that hosts Hercules?

 BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).

 And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to it?

 Ciao.....Mike

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

Hercules390 - General mailing list
i'm very new to this, but I've only seen that when Hercules isn't compiled with compression. Many of the distro-provided binaries don't seem to be.

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 15, 2017, at 6:58 AM, [hidden email] [hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved here. (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
>
> Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.
>
> What I tested so far:
>
> CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
>
> Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works
>
> Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault
>
> The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or the OS that hosts Hercules?
>

> BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).
>

> And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to it?
>

> Ciao.....Mike

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

On Mon, 2017-05-15 at 13:58 +0000, [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

> Filtering with bing for 'hercules segmentation fault' I see that
> HHCCP017I pops up every now and then over the years. It is even solved
> here. (Alas for me with the given comments it is not obvious how.)
>
> Toying arround with a Raspberry Pi I tested afore some Linux under
> VMware Player and got hit by HHCCP017I CPU0000: Machine check due to
> host error: Segmentation fault. The OS I took from Windows where it
> runs under Hercules 3.09 without show-stopping error.
>

> What I tested so far:
>
> CentOS 7 with Hercules 3.12 => works
>
> Debian 8.7.1 with Hercules 3.07 => works
>

> Lubuntu 17.04 with Hercules 3.12 => Seg. fault
>

> The pragmatic solution would be, do not use Lubuntu. But my questions
> are, what caused this fault (or what cases exit by HHCCP017I) and who
> is host in this HHCCP017I info, the OS I try to run under Hercules or
> the OS that hosts Hercules?
>

> BTW, the Hercules version distributed within Debian -- and so also in
> Raspbian on Raspberry Pi -- should IMHO stay 3.07, it seems to run
> faster than 3.12 (just a feeling, I did not measure it).

It is a segmentation fault in the host process running Hercules, not the
guest OS.  The hardware being emulated by Hercules, the Hercules process
experienced the failure.  Hence it is reported as a Machine Check
interruption to the guest.  The "hardware", Hercules, broke.

This is triggered by the host operating system, a problem in the
compiled Hercules code or Hercules itself.

While the root causes of a segmentation fault may have parallels in a
Hercules guest, the term 'segmentation fault' itself is foreign to a
Hercules guest program.

In a Hercules guest such parallel causes would result in a program
interruption with an interruption code.

> And -- are there alternatives to X3270? Or do I have to accustom me to
> it?
>

> Ciao.....Mike

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

I compiled Hercules only once - and failed. That was long ago, when Cygwin was a prerequisite for Hercules on Windows. Since then I use the compiled offers. If possible, I'll do so also in future.

Ciao.....Mike

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

When I have built hercules with optimization I get a wait state

My platform is windows I was using the intel compiler

---In [hidden email], <h.grovsteen@...> wrote :

> While the root causes of a segmentation fault may have parallels in a
> Hercules guest, the term 'segmentation fault' itself is foreign to a
> Hercules guest program.

What about if the Hercules guest is z/Linux?
Does that have the concept or terminology
of "segmentation fault"?

BFN. Paul.

Re: HHCCP017I... Segmentation fault

eddybalem
I encountered a similar error while building Hercules from source on Linux. I tried turning the compiler optimization off when configuring and building it, and the problem went away- everything worked fine after that.
 Sorry for not replying earlier, I have only just noticed this on Yahoo.

 Eddy

Jol Universal Command Language and Enhanced JCL Language

Clem Clarke

Way back in the late '60s and '70s, it was recognized that JCL was a very difficult language to learn and use, and needed extra facilities such as PreProcessor Variable testing and arithmetic statements, the ability to generate Control Cards with Symbolic Variable replacement, easy to create full screen Panels, and primarily, an easy to use, English like language using commands such as Copy, Print and so on. Additionally, a really good macro language that would allow the language to be expanded infinitely would be extremely useful.

The language was called Jol. Job Organisation Language.

Datamation ran a small article on it, and received 1000's of enquiries - much more than they had received for any other product. In the early '80s, IBM was about to sign a deal to market Jol - however a situation developed much like Steve Jobs had in his company and so the deal was not completed although Fujitsu and Amdahl supplied it with their machines

Decades have now passed, and while IBM has introduced some of the features Jol had 40 years ago, many are still to come, such as an easy to use English style language, full arithmetic expressions, the ability to run the same scripts under TSO or Batch, and much, much more.

And so today, Jol is now under the Open Source banner. You are encouraged use it for free, and the source code (which was examined and approved by IBM in the '80s) is available with the proviso and restriction that if it is turned into a commercial product, royalties must be paid.

There are three or so versions of Jol.
1. The 370 Assembler Z/OS Mainframe version.
2. The Windows, Linux and OS/2 "C" versions that either generate code that runs on the mainframe, or alternatively executes native applications on their own platforms. The Linux version is in Beta mode.
3. A Beta version of a compatible IBM VSE version.

You can download Jol from the www.Oscar-Jol.com site which also has all the documentation and many examples.

Now, there is no reason why you cannot move to the next generation JCL language.

Clem Clarke

__._,_.___

Posted by: Clem Clarke <[hidden email]>

  Subscribe:    [hidden email]
  Unsubscribe:  [hidden email]
  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.hercules-390.org

.

__,_._,___

Re: Jol Universal Command Language and Enhanced JCL Language

Vince Coen
Looking on the Download screen I cannot find :

Linux version
the Open sources for lol.

Vince

On 08/11/17 10:11, Clem Clarke [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

> Way back in the late '60s and '70s, it was recognized that JCL was a
> very difficult language to learn and use, and needed extra facilities
> such as PreProcessor Variable testing and arithmetic statements, the
> ability to generate Control Cards with Symbolic Variable replacement,
> easy to create full screen Panels, and primarily, an easy to use,
> English like language using commands such as Copy, Print and so on.
> Additionally, a really good macro language that would allow the
> language to be expanded infinitely would be extremely useful.
>
> The language was called Jol. Job Organisation Language.
>
> Datamation ran a small article on it, and received 1000's of enquiries
> - much more than they had received for any other product. In the early
> '80s, IBM was about to sign a deal to market Jol - however a situation
> developed much like Steve Jobs had in his company and so the deal was
> not completed although Fujitsu and Amdahl supplied it with their machines
>
> Decades have now passed, and while IBM has introduced some of the
> features Jol had 40 years ago, many are still to come, such as an easy
> to use English style language, full arithmetic expressions, the
> ability to run the same scripts under TSO or Batch, and much, much more.
>
> And so today, Jol is now under the Open Source banner. You are
> encouraged use it for free, and the source code (which was examined
> and approved by IBM in the '80s) is available with the proviso and
> restriction that if it is turned into a commercial product, royalties
> must be paid.
>
> There are three or so versions of Jol.
> 1. The 370 Assembler Z/OS Mainframe version.
> 2. The Windows, Linux and OS/2 "C" versions that either generate code
> that runs on the mainframe, or alternatively executes native
> applications on their own platforms. The Linux version is in Beta mode.
> 3. A Beta version of a compatible IBM VSE version.
>
> You can download Jol from the www.Oscar-Jol.com
> <http://www.Oscar-Jol.com> site which also has all the documentation
> and many examples.
>
> Now, there is no reason why you cannot move to the next generation JCL
> language.
>
> Clem Clarke

Re: Jol Universal Command Language and Enhanced JCL Language

Wayne Bickerdike
MVSJOB4 to build the command processor has a problem,

BATCH EMULATOR  JOB(CLARKE4 ) STEP(LKED    ) PGM= IEWL
IEW2278I B352 INVOCATION PARAMETERS - LIST,MAP,RENT,REUS,REFR
IEW2322I 1220  1           INCLUDE XLIB(JOLTS)
IEW2322I 1220  2           ORDER UJTS(P)
IEW2322I 1220  3           ENTRY UJTS
IEW2322I 1220  4           ALIAS JOL,J
IEW2322I 1220  5           NAME  UJTSCMD(R)
IEW2470E 9511 ORDERED SECTION UJTS NOT FOUND IN MODULE.
IEW2471E 9512 ALIGNED SECTION UJTS NOT FOUND IN MODULE.
IEW2648E 5111 ENTRY UJTS IS NOT A CSECT OR AN EXTERNAL NAME IN THE MODULE.

--
Wayne V. Bickerdike