Guest ZOS has no outbound TCPIP connectivity

Guest ZOS has no outbound TCPIP connectivity

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Running Z/OS 1.10 with Hercules 3.12 and Windows 10.
 Not able to establish any outbound TCPIP connections. Ping times out and FTP receives following message:

  EZA1554I Connecting to:   192.168.1.32 port: 21.
 EZA2590E connect error from initIPv4Connection - EDC8117I Network is down. (errno2=0x74500442)
 The FTP server is on my home network.

 No problem connecting from the outside into Z/OS. (3270 emulation works fine from anywhere)

 I tried to disable the windows Firewall but it did not help.

 Could this be something blocked by the main home network router ?

 Any help will be appreciated.    Dani Kalmar

Re: Guest ZOS has no outbound TCPIP connectivity

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Never mind. Problem solved. The IP address of the external Ethernet adapter changed and I needed to update the Herucles CONF and the TCPIP profile definitions.

Re: Guest ZOS has no outbound TCPIP connectivity

Use your router to open ports you need in the port forwarding panel to
route to your system (only) leaving the rest closed up that you do not use.

That way your system is protected from outside hacking.

In addition leave the Windows firewall up but open the ports set open on
the router - it is hardly a long list.

Next is to set up system functions for the OS for any other than
telneting in.

Personally I don't as I can transfer programs,JCL listing to/from using
x3270 or Vista on windows to do the heavy lifting.
This applies to any OS from MVS upwards but there again I run under
Linux which also runs a web, ftp & BBS servers and all of these run
within a VM likewise hercules.

That way if anyone does break in it is on a read only system as the VM
objects come from a fixed image that my system rebuilds when changes
occur where needed.

KEEP the fruitcakes out !

On 27/05/17 08:00, [hidden email]
[hercules-390] wrote:

> Running Z/OS 1.10 with Hercules 3.12 and Windows 10.
>
> Not able to establish any outbound TCPIP connections. Ping times out
> and FTP receives following message:
>

> EZA1554I Connecting to:   192.168.1.32 port: 21.
>
> EZA2590E connect error from initIPv4Connection - EDC8117I Network is
> down. (errno2=0x74500442)
>
> The FTP server is on my home network.
>

> No problem connecting from the outside into Z/OS. (3270 emulation
> works fine from anywhere)
>

> I tried to disable the windows Firewall but it did not help.
>

> Could this be something blocked by the main home network router ?
>

> Any help will be appreciated.    Dani Kalmar

Re: Guest ZOS has no outbound TCPIP connectivity

Glad to see you found your problem.  Nevertheless, I thought I would
provide a couple of observations.

On Sat, 2017-05-27 at 07:00 +0000,
[hidden email] [hercules-390] wrote:

> Running Z/OS 1.10 with Hercules 3.12 and Windows 10.
>
> Not able to establish any outbound TCPIP connections. Ping times out
> and FTP receives following message:
>

>  EZA1554I Connecting to:   192.168.1.32 port: 21.
>

> EZA2590E connect error from initIPv4Connection - EDC8117I Network is
> down. (errno2=0x74500442)
>

> The FTP server is on my home network.
>

> No problem connecting from the outside into Z/OS. (3270 emulation
> works fine from anywhere)

If the 3270 connections are to 3270 devices in your Hercules
configuration statements, you are not connecting to your guest OS.  You
are connecting to the internal Hercules TN3270 server.  Networking wise,
this is different than connecting to a TN3270 server provided by the OS.

Even if it is to a guest OS resident server, connecting from the same
host system is different than from a system outside of the host.  While
this was not your issue, frequently the routing tables on the systems
outside of the host lack routes to the hercules guest IP address
prohibiting IP packets from getting back to the guest and thereby
causing connection failures.  This situation would result in similar
symptoms as you were seeing.

> I tried to disable the windows Firewall but it did not help.
>

> Could this be something blocked by the main home network router ?
>

> Any help will be appreciated.    Dani Kalmar

Re: Guest ZOS has no outbound TCPIP connectivity

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I had the setup working for many month and had no issues connecting in and out of the guest. Yesterday I upgraded the router and I neglected to notice that the IP of the ethernet adapter changed.
 I probably should have used static IP and not DHCP assigned, although the DHCP given IP should have been persistent but I guess the router FW upgrade resulted in loosing the IP address.