Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

123

Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Hi folks.

As you may know, I have next to zero experience with "MVS", so I need some help.

I'm trying to use IEBGENR to load a dataset from an unlabeled tape and keep getting the error:

    IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND

Here is the JCL I'm using:

    //FISHGENR JOB  1,FISH,MSGCLASS=X,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
    //         EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
    //SYSIN    DD   DUMMY
    //SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=A
    //SYSUT1   DD   UNIT=591,LABEL=(,BLP),
    //         DISP=SHR,
    //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720)
    //SYSUT2   DD   UNIT=A99,VOL=SER=FISH01,
    //         DSN=IBMUSER.FISH.TESTFILE.#001,
    //         SPACE=(CYL,(1000,100)),
    //         DISP=(NEW,KEEP,DELETE),
    //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720,DSORG=PS)
    //

As I understand it, "LABEL=(,BLP)" is supposed to completely bypass label processing, so I'm more than a little confused as to why it's looking for one (especially since I don't have "DSN=" specified!).

I'd appreciate any insight/help any of you could provide me.

Thanks!

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

---In [hidden email], <david.b.trout@...> wrote :

> IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND

> //SYSUT1 DD UNIT=591,LABEL=(,BLP),
> // DISP=SHR,
> // DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720)

> As I understand it, "LABEL=(,BLP)" is
> supposed to completely bypass label
> processing, so I'm more than a little
> confused as to why it's looking for
> one (especially since I don't have
> "DSN=" specified!).

I haven't seen that syntax before.

Try UNIT=TAPE and LABEL=(1,BLP)

In addition, it depends on your system/
job class as to whether BLP will be allowed.

Try LABEL=(1,NL) instead

BFN. Paul.

---In [hidden email], <kerravon86@...> wrote :

> Try LABEL=(1,NL) instead

Also try giving it a dummy dataset
name, like DSN=IBMUSER.IN

Also, are you sure IBMUSER is
valid? If you're using a TK system
it's more normal to see HERC01
as the HLQ.

BFN. Paul.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Fish,

Looks like you're missing the DSN parameter from the input (SYSUT1)...

Joe

Joe Monk wrote:

> Looks like you're missing the DSN parameter from the input (SYSUT1)...

I don't understand.  The tape is UNLABELED.  Why do I need a DSN parameter?

And if I do need it, what the heck DSN do I specify?

There is no HDR1 label on the tape.  No VOL1 label, no HDR1 label, no EOF1 label, etc.  The tape just starts with data.

So what the heck "DSN=" value should I specify?

I thought the whole point of "LABEL=(,BLP)" was to BYPASS all label processing.  Yes?

I tried "LABEL=(,NL)" in an earlier run with "DSN=DUMMY" specified but the system unloaded my tape and said to mount volume "DUMMY".  (Hmmm... I may have specified VOL=SER=DUMMY too though.  I can't remember.)

Why is it so difficult to read a simple unlabeled tape?  :(

Thanks.

(I don't mean to sound angry or upset.  I'm not.  I'm just confused due to my inexperience.)

Fish wrote:
> Joe Monk wrote:
>
> > Looks like you're missing the DSN parameter
> > from the input (SYSUT1)...

I just tried the following:

    //FISHGENR JOB  1,FISH,MSGCLASS=X,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
    //         EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
    //SYSIN    DD   DUMMY
    //SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=A
    //SYSUT1   DD   UNIT=591,LABEL=(,BLP),
    //         DISP=SHR,DSN=DUMMY,
    //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720)
    //SYSUT2   DD   UNIT=A99,VOL=SER=FISH01,
    //         DSN=IBMUSER.FISH.TESTFILE.#001,
    //         SPACE=(CYL,(1000,100)),
    //         DISP=(NEW,KEEP,DELETE),
    //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720,DSORG=PS)
    //

The results were identical: "IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND"

  :(

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
Software Development Laboratories
http://www.softdevlabs.com
mail: [hidden email]

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Ah... something I didn't notice earlier, is that you have coded DISP=SHR,
which means the tape is cataloged ...

Try changing the DISP=OLD and specifying a VOL=SER= ...

Joe

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 5:35 AM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'

On 2017-01-25 10:35 PM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
[hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:
> The results were identical: "IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND"
Hi Fish,

Suggestion 1:
Specify VOL=SER=ABCXYZ or whatever volume serial you want on the SYSUT1
DD statement.
I'm sure you have unit 591 as a tape on your system - make sure it is
ONLINE before you submit the job.
You probably know of the MVS command like
V 591,ONLINE
When your job has started and after the system has issued the "mount the
ABCXYZ tape" message, then do the devinit to the PC file or actually
mount the physical tape - whichever is appropriate for your environment.

If the tape was a standard labelled tape (SL) then you could place that
tape in the drive and ready the drive, and the system would read the
label and match it to the request, and not bother to issue a mount
request message to the system operator.  But this does not work for
unlabelled tapes.  But even for unlabelled tapes, you need to supply the
volume serial number.

Suggestion 2:
This is just a general suggestion which does not affect tape processing.

Use SYSOUT=* on DD statements unless you actually want to process that
SYSOUT file differently from the rest of the job's "print out".  Then it
will use the same SYSOUT class specified on the MSGCLASS parameter in
the JOB statement - X in this case.  JES2 will then keep all of the
job's output in a single group.  If you ever need to send the output to
someone then it will all be in the same place - simpler to find than to
be searching multiple queues to find all of the bits of it.

Of course, in the real world, some reports were often intended to be
printed on special stationery or go to a different destination.  In such
cases, you really would want different parts of the output managed
differently.

Cheers,
Greg

---In [hidden email], <joe.monk@...> wrote :

> Ah... something I didn't notice earlier, is
> that you have coded DISP=SHR, which
> means the tape is cataloged ...

Are you saying that if I have an
uncataloged dataset, on disk or
tape, that if I use a DISP=SHR
instead of DISP=OLD, it will fail
to open???

BFN. Paul.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Hi Fish,

My MVS knowledge is a bit rusty too, so I looked on TK4- into
SYS2.JCLLIB(TAPEMAP)
The comment in there may be of help:

  Note: Make sure you use a jobclass that allows BLP processing
        This is regulated by the JES2 converterparms.
        Jobclass H (hot batch) and S (sysprog) are allowed BLP

I do remember from z/os the jobclass ruled the ability to use NL and BLP.

Bert

Op 2017-01-25 om 12:01 schreef Joe Monk [hidden email] [H390-MVS]:

> Fish,
>
> Looks like you're missing the DSN parameter from the input (SYSUT1)...
>
> Joe
>
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 3:16 AM, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> [H390-MVS]
>
>     Hi folks.
>
>     As you may know, I have next to zero experience with "MVS", so I
>     need some help.
>
>     I'm trying to use IEBGENR to load a dataset from an unlabeled tape
>     and keep getting the error:
>
>     IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND
>
>     Here is the JCL I'm using:
>
>     //FISHGENR JOB 1,FISH,MSGCLASS=X,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
>     // EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
>     //SYSIN DD DUMMY
>     //SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=A
>     //SYSUT1 DD UNIT=591,LABEL=(,BLP),
>     // DISP=SHR,
>     // DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720)
>     //SYSUT2 DD UNIT=A99,VOL=SER=FISH01,
>     // DSN=IBMUSER.FISH.TESTFILE.#001,
>     // SPACE=(CYL,(1000,100)),
>     // DISP=(NEW,KEEP,DELETE),
>     // DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720,DSORG=PS)
>     //
>
>     As I understand it, "LABEL=(,BLP)" is supposed to completely
>     bypass label processing, so I'm more than a little confused as to
>     why it's looking for one (especially since I don't have "DSN="
>     specified!).
>
>     I'd appreciate any insight/help any of you could provide me.
>
>     Thanks!
>
>     --
>     "Fish" (David B. Trout)
>     Software Development Laboratories
>     http://www.softdevlabs.com
>     mail: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

RE: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
---In [hidden email], <david.b.trout@...> wrote :

>> Looks like you're missing the DSN parameter from the input (SYSUT1)...

> I don't understand. The tape is UNLABELED.
> Why do I need a DSN parameter?

You may or may not need it, but it
should be harmless to add it, to see
if that's what's stuffing things up.

> And if I do need it, what the heck DSN do I specify?

It is quite common to specify an arbitrary
DSN for an NL tape. E.g. HERC01.IN.

> There is no HDR1 label on the tape. No VOL1
> label, no HDR1 label, no EOF1 label, etc.
> The tape just starts with data.

Yes, which is why people can and do
just make up any DSN when reading
an unlabeled tape.

> So what the heck "DSN=" value should I specify?

Anything that you have RAKF authority
to use. So if your userid is HERC01, then
using HERC01.IN would be fine.

> I thought the whole point of "LABEL=(,BLP)"
> was to BYPASS all label processing. Yes?

BLP and NL are the same, except that NL
will check the first file anyway and make
sure it doesn't look like an SL tape. If it
looks like an SL tape it will refuse it.

And NL doesn't need special privileges.

> I tried "LABEL=(,NL)" in an earlier run
> with "DSN=DUMMY" specified

DSN=DUMMY is not a very good choice.
HERC01.IN would be more usual.

> but the system unloaded my tape and
> said to mount volume "DUMMY". (Hmmm...
> I may have specified VOL=SER=DUMMY
> too though. I can't remember.)

Greg's catch is good - you should specify
a VOL=SER= as well. But "DUMMY" is
not a good choice either IMO. Use a
tape name of say NLTAPE or AWSTAP
instead.

> Why is it so difficult to read a simple unlabeled tape? :(

I'm not sure which particular thing is
causing a problem, but I read NL
tapes all the time without problem.
Once you've got the JCL set up
properly it's all fine. Then you can
clone that working JCL. :-)

BFN. Paul.

RE: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
---In [hidden email], <kerravon86@...> wrote :

>> Why is it so difficult to read a simple unlabeled tape? :(

> I'm not sure which particular thing is
> causing a problem, but I read NL
> tapes all the time without problem.
> Once you've got the JCL set up
> properly it's all fine. Then you can
> clone that working JCL. :-)

You can start with my working JCL
(see DD "IN") which you can find here
if you want:

http://mvs380.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mvs380/mvs380/jcl/mvshd.jcl?view=markup

Note that it includes Joe's recommendation
of using "OLD", and I don't know for sure
whether or not it can be changed to "SHR".

BFN. Paul.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
On Wed, 25 Jan 2017, at 09:16, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)'
[hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> As you may know, I have next to zero experience with "MVS", so I need
> some help.
>
> I'm trying to use IEBGENR to load a dataset from an unlabeled tape and
> keep getting the error:
>
>     IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND
>
> Here is the JCL I'm using:
>
>     //FISHGENR JOB  1,FISH,MSGCLASS=X,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
>     //         EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
>     //SYSIN    DD   DUMMY
>     //SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=A
>     //SYSUT1   DD   UNIT=591,LABEL=(,BLP),
>     //         DISP=SHR,
>     //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720)

A separate issue which might turn into a problem later on is, how sure
are you that that DCB
information is correct?  Sometimes when one has no idea what's on a tape
it's more useful to
start off reading each entire block from the tape, with eg:

 DCB=(LRECL=32760,BLKSIZE=32760,RECFM=U)

- and obviously the disk dataset that you gener the data to needs the
same characteristics.

Then you can examine the disk file to find out how many records, of what
size are in each
physical block.

I once had to read a tape which contained, despite what the creator
thought they had made,
just one card image per physical block.

I used to work for a bank; it was very hard to get permission to use BLP
as doing so allowed
one completely to circumvent normal security on tapes.  In practice, I
only had the ability
when auditors or data-security staff came to me asking for help reading
such a tape.

Also, picking up on other people's comments about a DSN= value, I
remember being quite
surprised to find that one can specify non-MVS format datasetnames in
DSN= if eg a tape
was created on a non-MVS system and has an alien format datasetname.

Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.

RE: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
When in doubt, we just ran a DITTO dump of a tape.  It may not be elegant, but it does work.

---In [hidden email], <yahgrp87@...> wrote :

> A separate issue which might turn into a problem later on is, how sure
> are you that that DCB
> information is correct? Sometimes when one has no idea what's on a tape
> it's more useful to
> start off reading each entire block from the tape, with eg:

> DCB=(LRECL=32760,BLKSIZE=32760,RECFM=U)

Good point, but it's more normal for the
LRECL to be 0.

> - and obviously the disk dataset that you gener
> the data to needs the same characteristics.

And if using the above BLKSIZE, you won't
be able to write to a 3350 or below.

I can't remember if 3380 works, but 3390
certainly does.

> Then you can examine the disk file to find
> out how many records, of what
> size are in each physical block.

Using IDCAMS print dump.

And presumably if you only have 3350s
you will need to do an IDCAMS print
dump on the tape itself to find out what
the data looks like.

BFN. Paul.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
No Im not saying it will fail to open. What Im saying is that the system
will be unable to find the dataset in the catalog, and the job step will
fail with dataset not found.

Think about it ... if you're working with a QSAM file, where does the
system go to lookup information on the dataset?

Joe

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 6:33 AM, [hidden email] [H390-MVS] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> ---In [hidden email], <joe.monk@...> wrote :
>
> > Ah... something I didn't notice earlier, is
> > that you have coded DISP=SHR, which
> > means the tape is cataloged ...
>
> Are you saying that if I have an
> uncataloged dataset, on disk or
> tape, that if I use a DISP=SHR
> instead of DISP=OLD, it will fail
> to open???
>
> BFN. Paul.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
---In [hidden email], <joe.monk@...> wrote :

> No Im not saying it will fail to open. What
> Im saying is that the system will be unable
> to find the dataset in the catalog, and the
> job step will fail with dataset not found.

> Think about it ... if you're working with a
> QSAM file, where does the system go to
> lookup information on the dataset?

I was under the impression that it would
go through the exact same lookup
process regardless of whether OLD or
SHR was used.

ie if a VOL=SER= is specified it will
NOT look up the catalog, but if you
do NOT specify VOL=SER= then it
will look up the catalog (again,
exactly the same regardless of SHR
vs OLD).

BFN. Paul.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
OLD/SHR has nothing to do with the catalog. It tells MVS allocation to do either an exclusive ENQ or a shared ENQ on the dataset. If the dataset name, volser and unit is on the DDcard catalog lookup is bypassed.

Fish are you running 3.8 or something newer? If it's MVS of mid90's vintage or newer that supports 4 digit device numbers to specify the unit address you must use a / as follows UNIT=/0591 otherwise allocation assumes it's an esoteric like unit=tape and would do an edt search.

Laddie

Sent from whatever device I am using.

- - - In [hidden email], <laddiehanus@...> wrote:
> OLD/SHR has nothing to do with the catalog. It tells MVS allocation to
>do either an exclusive ENQ or a shared ENQ on the dataset.

DISP OLD/SHR/MOD without a volser will tell MVS to do a catalog
lookup on OPEN.  IEBGENER did the lookup itself before OPEN.

If a dataset name is not specified in JCL, MVS generates one.
The generated name with DISP OLD, SHR, or MOD but without
a volser will cause a catalog lookup that will not find the generated
data set name in the catalog.

As already mentioned by Paul, in this case a volser is required.
With a volser, MVS checks devices to see what volsers are
already mounted without doing a catalog lookup.

If not authorized for BLP, then MVS uses NL so no issue here.

>If the dataset name, volser and unit is on the DDcard catalog lookup is bypassed.
> Fish are you running 3.8 or something newer? If it's MVS of mid90's
>vintage or newer that supports 4 digit device numbers to specify the unit
>address you must use a / as follows UNIT=/0591 otherwise allocation
>assumes it's an esoteric like unit=tape and would do an edt search.
> Laddie
> Sent from whatever device I am using.
- - - old notes snipped - - -

There is no need to add a slash and zero in front of the three
digit unit address.

If you have a four digit unit address, then a slash should be added.
For instance,
UNIT=ABCD is different than UNIT=/ABCD
One a group of devices for MVS to pick from
and the other a specific device.

Re: Dataset not found reading unlabeled tape

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
On 25/01/2017 10:16, ''Fish' (David B. Trout)' [hidden email]
[H390-MVS] wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> As you may know, I have next to zero experience with "MVS", so I need some help.
>
> I'm trying to use IEBGENR to load a dataset from an unlabeled tape and keep getting the error:
>
>      IEF212I FISHGENR SYSUT1 - DATA SET NOT FOUND
>
> Here is the JCL I'm using:
>
>      //FISHGENR JOB  1,FISH,MSGCLASS=X,NOTIFY=&SYSUID
>      //         EXEC PGM=IEBGENER
>      //SYSIN    DD   DUMMY
>      //SYSPRINT DD   SYSOUT=A
>      //SYSUT1   DD   UNIT=591,LABEL=(,BLP),
>      //         DISP=SHR,
>      //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720)
>      //SYSUT2   DD   UNIT=A99,VOL=SER=FISH01,
>      //         DSN=IBMUSER.FISH.TESTFILE.#001,
>      //         SPACE=(CYL,(1000,100)),
>      //         DISP=(NEW,KEEP,DELETE),
>      //         DCB=(RECFM=FB,LRECL=1024,BLKSIZE=30720,DSORG=PS)
>      //
>
> As I understand it, "LABEL=(,BLP)" is supposed to completely bypass label processing, so I'm more than a little confused as to why it's looking for one (especially since I don't have "DSN=" specified!).
>
> I'd appreciate any insight/help any of you could provide me.
>
> Thanks!

It's because you didn't code VOL=SER= on SYSUT1.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)