Confused over LCS definiton for z/OS

MagicMB
Hello,

I cannot get my z/OS system to communicate via TCP/IP, and I am
wondering if I understand the LCS concept correctly.

1)My understanding is that LCS provides a direct bridged connection to
the network via the TAP/TUN virtual network adapter - is this
correct?

2)If 1 is true, then the IP address for the adapter used by z/OS
should be on the same subnet as the Linux system hercules is running
on - correct?

<Maybe I've been working with VMWare too much, as this is how their
bridged networking works>.

My situation:
- SuSE Linux 8.3 running using IP 192.168.1.7. IP_FORWARD=yes is
active, only one real adapter in machine.
- I want z/OS to communicate on the network as 192.168.1.16. So, I
have the following definitions:

hercules.cnf
============
05DE.2 LCS -n /dev/net/tun -o zos.ip

zos.ip (the file pointed to by the LCS definition)
05DE IP 00 PRI 192.168.001.016
ROUTE 00 192.168.001.016 255.255.255.000

hercules starts, no error messages for LCS. devlist shows 05DE as
"open busy", 05DF as "open"

TCPIP profile definitions
=========================
DEVICE LCS01 LCS 5DE
LINK ETH1 ETHERNET 0
HOME
 192.168.1.16 ETH1
BEGINRoutes
ROUTE 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 = ETH1 MTU 1500
ROUTE DEFAULT 192.168.1.1 ETH1 MTU 1500

When TCPIP starts, it reports device LCS01 initializes, no errors.
ifconfig on Linux now shows a tap0 device - however, no IP address is
associated with it (strangely an ipV6 address is associated with it!).

the z/OS system can ping itself, but nothing else. No other systems
(including the Linux hercules is running in) can ping the z/OS system.

If I manually assign 192.168.1.16 to the tap0 adapter, other systems
can ping it - but z/OS still cannot ping other systems. Restarting
TCPIP does not make a difference.

So... if anyone has such an environment and has been successful, I'm
all ears. The hercules networking documentation only discusses CTC
definitons in detail, and setting up routing between the guest
operating systems and the rest of the LAN - which I *thought* wasn't
needed if using the LCS device, since that gave a bridged connection
to the network... but I may be wrong, and am happy to be corrected
with the details. I searched the forum and found other hits on LCS,
but no real answers for this type of situation, so I am all ears...
thanks!

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Confused over LCS definiton for z/OS

MagicMB
Soem additional information. I tuned on trscing with the -d option for
the LCS statement, and get the following messages when TCP/IP
activates the device:
===========================
HHCLCxxxI 05DF: Startup
HHCLCxxxI 05DF: Start LAN
HHCIF006I hercifc: Doing SIOCSIFADDR on tap0
HHCIF006I hercifc: Doing SIOCSIFMTU on tap0
HHCIF006I hercifc: Doing SIOCSIFFLAGS on tap0
HHCIF006I hercifc: Doing SIOCADDRT on tap0
HHCIF005E hercifc: ioctl error doing SIOCADDRT on tap0: Invalid argument
HHCIF006I hercifc: Doing SIOCADDRT on tap0
HHCLCxxxI 05DF: Query
HHCLCxxxI 05DF: Stat
Clearly it is finding the device, but doesn't like the info in the
config, when trying to set up the tap0 device... though the LCS parms
are right from the documentation. Again, any help is appreciated. Thanks!

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules