Combined DIAG58 and LDF installs

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list

 To the group:

 If you have seen the recent postings about a bug being found in the DIAG58 full screen support feature, I do have a fix for this that I can publish soon.

 However, the solution to this problem also causes a fix to be necessary to the Logical Device Support Facility (LDF) feature, which I also created and made available to this group.  The two features have some intersections in code and so a fix to one will often necessitate a fix to the other.

 As a result, I am considering the possibility of combining the features into a single install.  That is, when you install DIAG58 you get LDF along with it.  This simplifies future maintenance and in my opinion makes it easier for you all, the installers.  There would be more assemblies in a single combined install but that could be mitigated with a simple EXEC procedure to do them.  But once done you have both features ready to go, versus going through almost identical install procedures twice.

 In addition, there is a third feature called STBYPASS which is a performance assist to bypass CP shadow table maintenance for those running MVS or VM itself in a virtual machine.  This has not been released yet but including it in a combined package makes a lot of sense.  More about STBYPASS later.

 There may be additional enhancement features in the future.

 My question to you then is, would you prefer to see a combined install for these features or would you prefer that they stay separate and that you only install the features that you want?

 Regards,

 Bob

Re: Combined DIAG58 and LDF installs

---In [hidden email], <wably@...> wrote :

> As a result, I am considering the
> possibility of combining the features
> into a single install.  That is, when
> you install DIAG58 you get LDF
> along with it.  This simplifies future
> maintenance and in my opinion
> makes it easier for you all, the installers.

I know it is late, and now a moot
point, but I think you did the right
thing by combining them. I think
the number 1 priority should be