Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules

Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules

friedrichrepp
Sorry, I cannot get punch output into my punch00d.txt file, neither
while VM/370 is living nor when it was shutdown'ed and Hercules
quit'ted. I use the turn-key distribution ("fish") with VM/370 and
DOS/VS from Andy Norrie's repository.

Both Hercules and vmsys.cnf have the same devices and contain the
punch address 00D. The VM HCPRIO also contains the "00D" address.
VM/370 is up and running with many 3270 terminals, but I cannot punch
from the VM user MAINT or other into the PC file. The PC file is
empty. I tried with "devinit 00d pcfilename" too, but it didn't help.

The "hercules" logfile on PC (another PC file) is filled up with
hercules messages, created by following hercules start commands:
> cd CYGWIN
> cd /hercules/vm
> hercules -f vmsys.cnf > prt00e.txt2
This works well.

Please, can you help me ?
Thanks very close in advance.
Fritz

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules under W2K

friedrichrepp
--- In [hidden email], "friedrichrepp" <shrepp@t...>
wrote:
> Sorry, I cannot get punch output into my punch00d.txt file, neither
> while VM/370 is living nor when it was shutdown'ed and Hercules
> quit'ted. I use the turn-key distribution ("fish") with VM/370 and
> DOS/VS from Andy Norrie's repository.
>
> Both Hercules and vmsys.cnf have the same devices and contain the
> punch address 00D. The VM HCPRIO also contains the "00D" address.
> VM/370 is up and running with many 3270 terminals, but I cannot
punch
> from the VM user MAINT or other into the PC file. The PC file is
> empty. I tried with "devinit 00d pcfilename" too, but it didn't
help.

> The "hercules" logfile on PC (another PC file) is filled up with
> hercules messages, created by following hercules start commands:
> > cd CYGWIN
> > cd /hercules/vm
> > hercules -f vmsys.cnf > prt00e.txt2
> This works well.
>
> Please, can you help me ?
> Thanks very close in advance.
> Fritz

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules

somitcw
--- In [hidden email],
 "friedrichrepp" <shrepp@t...> wrote:
- - - snipped - - -
>but I cannot punch from the VM user MAINT or
>other into the PC file.
- - - snipped - - -

   Other than repeating I cannot, I cannot,
I cannot, what procedure did not work?

   Did you detach the virtual D from MAINT
and attach the real D to MAINT?

   Is there an error message?

  List owner:   [hidden email]

--- In [hidden email], "somitcw" <somitcw@c...> wrote:

> --- In [hidden email],
>  "friedrichrepp" <shrepp@t...> wrote:
> - - - snipped - - -
> >but I cannot punch from the VM user MAINT or
> >other into the PC file.
> - - - snipped - - -
>
>    Other than repeating I cannot, I cannot,
> I cannot, what procedure did not work?
>
>    Did you detach the virtual D from MAINT
> and attach the real D to MAINT?
>
>    Is there an error message?
-------------
Thanks for your answer.
Yes, there is an error message, if I punch to 00D
on MAINT, as follows:

det 00d
PUN  00D DETACHED
R; T=0.01/0.01 07:57:52
att 00d maint 00d
PUN  00D ATTACH TO MAINT    00D
R; T=0.01/0.01 07:58:08
pun profile exec a
INVALID DEVICE TYPE - 00D
R; T=0.01/0.01 07:58:21
q f
FILES:  NO RDR,  NO PRT,  NO PUN
R; T=0.01/0.01 08:00:09
-------------  vmsys.cnf:
000D 3525 /herc370/vm/punch00d.txt ascii crlf
-------------  VM-Build-Files:
     RDEVICE ADDRESS=00D,DEVTYPE=2540P,CLASS=P
DMK00270
-------------
Do you/anybody has an idea again why there is
no output to the pc file ?

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

RE: Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules

"Fish" (David B. Trout)

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules, OK now

friedrichrepp
Very heavy and close thanks to Fish !!

The advice to looking after device state DRAINED
within VM and to START the device from OPERATOR
resolved the problem. The PUN 00d is now filled up.

Thanks
Fritz (friedrichrepp)

--- In [hidden email], "Fish" <fish@i...> wrote:

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules

David Wade

> p.s. To take a guess at your problem, I suspect it's probably that
> your real punch device is probably DRAINED. On the OPERATOR userid,
> enter "QUERY 00D". If its status is DRAINED, then enter the command
> "START 00D CLASS A". Use the command "QUERY 00D" to see all of the
> spooled punch output waiting to punched. The same idea applies to 00E
> (print) too.

Ypu might want to leave the real punch as its existing class ("T" I
Think) and then spool your users virtual punch with matching class.

That way anything that is inadvertantly "Punched" as class "A", the
defaul, just gets left on the spool. I guess though they are not real
cards, so its (usually) no bother.

Dave.

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

RE: Re: Cannot Punch with Andy's VM/370 under Hercules, OK now

"Fish" (David B. Trout)

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules