Best VM/370 Tutorial for new user

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Hello,

   I've got the sixpack up and running but I'm not sure where to go next.  I scanned the various web pages but I couldn't find a getting-started or tutorial like reference to start using the system.  If there is something like that available please just point me to it.  If there isn't, let me know how to learn a bit about being an average user of VM. I'll graduate to the system oriented stuff after I learn a few basics.

   Thanks,

 Rob

RE: Best VM/370 Tutorial for new user

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Rob,

Try the “Terminal Users Guide”

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/VM_370/Release_6/GC20-1810-9_VM370_Terminal_Users_Guide_Rel_6_PLC_9_Mar80.pdf

Dave

---In [hidden email], <robballantyne3@...> wrote :

> I've got the sixpack up and running but
> I'm not sure where to go next.

Doesn't this depend on what exactly it is
you want to do?

Do you want to start compiling C programs
or what?

Why did you install VM?

And are you aware that there is an
"evaluation" version of z/VM available
for download?

BFN. Paul.

Re: Best VM/370 Tutorial for new user

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
Thanks all,

  I guess in the end, I would like to be able to write 360/370 assembly
language programs and run them.  Right now, I don't even know how to create
files, edit them, manipulate them. ...

  Thanks!

Rob

On Mon, 12/12/16, Rob Ballantyne [hidden email] [H390-VM] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks all, I guess in the end, I would like to be able to write 360/370 assembly language programs and run them.
> Right now, I don't even know how to create files, edit them, manipulate them. ...

Check these two manuals:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/VM_370/Release_6/GC20-1819-2_IBM_Virtual_Machine_Facility_370_CMS_Users_Guide_Rel_6_PLC_17_Apr81.pdf

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/VM_370/Release_6/GC20-1818-3_IBM_Virtual_Machine_Facility_370_CMS_Command_and_Macro_Reference_Rel_6_PLC_17_Apr81.pdf

As for assembler, check this one:

http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/370/OS_VS/GC33-4010-5_OS_VS_DOS_VSE_VM_370_Assembler_Language_Dec81.pdf

Rene FERLAND, Montreal

Re: Best VM/370 Tutorial for new user

Hercules390 - Vm mailing list
---In [hidden email], <robballantyne3@...> wrote :

> I guess in the end, I would like to be able
> to write 360/370 assembly language
> programs and run them.  Right now, I
> don't even know how to create files,
> edit them, manipulate them. ...

Ok, I do assembler programming on CMS
too, but (different from most) I do all my
file editing on the PC and send the code
up via (emulated) tape.

As such, I can't answer questions about
what editor to use, but I can show you
some working assembler code for CMS, ie:

http://pdos.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pdos/pdos/pdpclib/cmsstart.asm?view=markup

http://pdos.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pdos/pdos/pdpclib/cmssupa.asm?view=markup

And driven by this CMS exec:

http://pdos.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pdos/pdos/pdpclib/pdpcms.exec?view=markup

And I invoke CMS from Windows using this:

http://pdos.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/pdos/pdos/pdpclib/pdpcms.bat?view=markup

I store all my code in CVS using the PC.

BFN. Paul.