Automatic SYSGEN process

Hercules390 - General mailing list
Hi Folks,

      My friend Glenn Siegel, back in 1986, automated the SYSGEN and
IOGEN processes, so that he would start with his STAGE1 deck, run a
CLIST, go to lunch, and when he came back, his target libraries were all
built.  Do you folks have anything like that?

      We are trying to determine whether it is worth while for us to
resurrect Glenn's system and put it on the CBT tape, so you can use it.
Please let us know what you think.

      All the best of everything to all of you.

Sincerely,     Sam Golob    [hidden email]

P.S.  Please contact me either via the group, or in a private email.
Thanks again.

Re: Automatic SYSGEN process

- - - In [hidden email], <sbgolob@...> wrote:

> Hi Folks, > My friend Glenn Siegel, back in 1986, automated the SYSGEN and
>IOGEN processes, so that he would start with his STAGE1 deck, run a
>CLIST, go to lunch, and when he came back, his target libraries were all
>built. Do you folks have anything like that?
> We are trying to determine whether it is worth while for us to
>resurrect Glenn's system and put it on the CBT tape, so you can use it.
>Please let us know what you think.
> All the best of everything to all of you.
> Sincerely, Sam Golob sbgolob@... mailto:sbgolob@...
> P.S. Please contact me either via the group, or in a private email.
> Thanks again.

How was Glenn Siegel's procedure any different than normal
STAGE1 and STAGE2 ?

Did a extra step on the end of STAGE1 submit STAGE2 and
a JOB for SMP JCLIN ?
Were "special" changes made to the system?
USERMODs reapplied?
CONSOLE defaults set?

For IOGEN, wouldn't MINIGEN be faster and simpler?

Looking at other people's procedures to update MVS may
provide information?

Should this be discussed in an MVS or CBT yahoo group?

Re: Automatic SYSGEN process

Hi Folks,

     It was appropriate to send this request to a Hercules group,
because z/OS no longer does SYSGENs and IOGENs.  So the only people
actually doing that stuff are the MVS 3.8 people.  Of course, unless
you're running SP 1.3.x or earlier.  Or even maybe XA.  Since Y2K,
nobody is running those systems either, so the question falls back to
this group.  Is this useful?  My opinion: Darn straight it is.

     Thanks for your replies so far, and we would appreciate more comments.

     The work-saving feature in Glenn's method is that all he had to do
was to have a STAGE 1 deck and he ran the procedure to do everything
else.  He didn't even have to run the STAGE 2 jobs. They were all set up
to run automatically.  I never heard of anybody else automating a SYSGEN
that much.

     MINIGEN is not an IBM-sanctioned procedure, as I seem to recall.
It was invented by one of us.

     So there are my 2 cents.  I want to see if I can put this together
the way it originally was.  It certainly helped Glenn an awful lot.
Maybe it will make system reconfigurations a heckuva lot easier for you,
too.

     All the best of everything to all of you.

Sincerely,    Sam

Re: Automatic SYSGEN process

Hercules390 - General mailing list
I would like to see it, how it works and give it a try.
Scott V.

    On Friday, May 5, 2017 12:41 AM, "Sam Golob [hidden email] [hercules-390]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

  http://www.hercules-390.org

------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Re: Automatic SYSGEN process

I am certainly interested as well.

Joe

On Thu, May 4, 2017 at 11:41 PM, Sam Golob [hidden email]
[hercules-390] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> It was appropriate to send this request to a Hercules group,
> because z/OS no longer does SYSGENs and IOGENs. So the only people
> actually doing that stuff are the MVS 3.8 people. Of course, unless
> you're running SP 1.3.x or earlier. Or even maybe XA. Since Y2K,
> nobody is running those systems either, so the question falls back to
> this group. Is this useful? My opinion: Darn straight it is.
>
> Thanks for your replies so far, and we would appreciate more comments.
>
> The work-saving feature in Glenn's method is that all he had to do
> was to have a STAGE 1 deck and he ran the procedure to do everything
> else. He didn't even have to run the STAGE 2 jobs. They were all set up
> to run automatically. I never heard of anybody else automating a SYSGEN
> that much.
>
> MINIGEN is not an IBM-sanctioned procedure, as I seem to recall.
> It was invented by one of us.
>
> So there are my 2 cents. I want to see if I can put this together
> the way it originally was. It certainly helped Glenn an awful lot.
> Maybe it will make system reconfigurations a heckuva lot easier for you,
> too.
>
> All the best of everything to all of you.
>
> Sincerely, Sam

Re: Automatic SYSGEN process

 Hi Sam

 good to read from you again! And what a timing: Yes, I'm very interested in SYSGEN automation, as I'm currently lacking a reliable way to distribute changed SYSGENs with updates to the TK4- MVS 3.8j distribution.

 As you might know, I'm distributing a "current system" and an "updater" with each TK4- Update. The "updater" brings an existing system to the knew level, while the "current system" is a complete replacement. While I could easily provide changed SYSGENs with the current system, I'd need exactly the automation you mention when wanting to do the same in the "updater".

 I'm avoiding MINIGEN whenever possible for the same reason you mentioned. So, basically, the continuos sequence of TK4- updates will come to an end, once a significant configuration change becomes necessary, as I can distribute this only as a complete replacement, currently. One such configuration change will come with enabling JES3 (as an optional alternative to today's classic JES2 setup), at which Kevin is currently working.

 So, I'd really appreciate if you'd provide this tool .

 Cheers
 Jürgen