Accuracy of the Hercules Wikipedia article?

Accuracy of the Hercules Wikipedia article?

Tim Pinkawa
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator

At one point the original article says:
"On real z-Series machines (successor to the 390 series) it is an IBM
Thinkpad laptop running OS/2 and dedicated software that makes it look
like an old-fashioned 9672 terminal"

As far as I know, there is no "9672 terminal" and it sounds like he's
referring to the S/390 model number, but all my mainframe experience
has been with Hercules so I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Tim Pinkawa

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

RE: Accuracy of the Hercules Wikipedia article?

Hall, Ken (GTI)
Yeah, that's somewhat off.

A 9672 was a CMOS CPU two generations ago.  All of the CMOS boxen contain an OS/2 Thinkpad called the "Service Element" that manages microcode and hardware features, but they're rarely used directly by anyone other than the service tech.  The HMC (Hardware Management Console) is another OS/2 desktop-style PC that typically lives near the console/operations area, and is used to perform day-to-day tasks like IPL and LPAR configuration.

If you are not an intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender, delete it and do not read, act upon, print, disclose, copy, retain or redistribute it. Click here for important additional terms relating to this e-mail.     http://www.ml.com/email_terms/

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Accuracy of the Hercules Wikipedia article?

Ajith Aravind
Wikipedia is gathering articles from individuals who are willing to write and
it will be put into scutiny by their own board...If the information pertaining to
a particular subject is not exhaustive they will mention in the beginnning of the article as it is a stub and open for expansion...As tim mentioned, in the article nothing  sort of such is given so i strongly believe they might have messed up with it and might have done a mistake in the authenticity of the article.

Thanks n regards

Ajith Aravind
Tim Pinkawa <[hidden email]> wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hercules_emulator

At one point the original article says:
"On real z-Series machines (successor to the 390 series) it is an IBM
Thinkpad laptop running OS/2 and dedicated software that makes it look
like an old-fashioned 9672 terminal"

As far as I know, there is no "9672 terminal" and it sounds like he's
referring to the S/390 model number, but all my mainframe experience
has been with Hercules so I may be wrong.

Thanks,
Tim Pinkawa

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules

Re: Accuracy of the Hercules Wikipedia article?

Dan Shearer
On Thu, Jun 23, 2005 at 03:55:55PM -0400, Hall, Ken (IDS DCS PE) wrote:
> Yeah, that's somewhat off.
>

> A 9672 was a CMOS CPU two generations ago.  All of the CMOS boxen
> contain an OS/2 Thinkpad called the "Service Element" that manages
> microcode and hardware features, but they're rarely used directly by
> anyone other than the service tech.  The HMC (Hardware Management
> Console) is another OS/2 desktop-style PC that typically lives near
> the console/operations area, and is used to perform day-to-day tasks
> like IPL and LPAR configuration.

Whoops, that was me. I can fix it (or, since it is Wikipedia, any of
the better-qualified people present here can too. You don't even have to
create an account if you don't want to.) I know something about
simulation and using Hercules for the things that simulation is good at
but don't have a mainframe background.

People might like to contribute better screenshots to the Wikipedia
article too.

Dan

  List owner:   [hidden email]

  http://www.conmicro.cx/hercules