ABEND 522

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
I'm Running MVS TK4- with Hercules 4.0 Build Jan 20 3015, Long running job cancels with 522
 have time parameter of TIME=1440 which should prevent 522 but does not?
 RACF=yes

 is there a patch ?

Re: ABEND 522

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
I am guessing your job did not actually run for 24 hours before getting the S522 abend. As I recall, this happens when waiting for an outstanding ECB too long - sometimes a tape mount, etc.

 I found this via a Google search http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/downloads/pdf/t9706009.pdf http://www.jaymoseley.com/hercules/downloads/pdf/t9706009.pdf

 Jim

Re: ABEND 522

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
1440 should prevent s522.  s522 is a result of all tasks in your job step being in a wait state for the smfprm defined jwt value.

 There may be an SMF exit that overrides the JWT suppression.  IEFUTL.  Might check that out.

Re: ABEND 522

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Running with 1440 will NOT prevent a S522, only S222/S322. ECB wait time has nothing to do with the time parameter on the job.

Jim

Re: ABEND 522

On 2017-05-24 11:46 PM, [hidden email] [H390-MVS] wrote:
> Running with 1440 will NOT prevent a S522, only S222/S322. ECB wait
> time has nothing to do with the time parameter on the job.
I think I must disagree...

TIME=1440 in the JCL causes the flag in the ASCB to be set which tells
the system to not apply time limits.  These time limits are the CPU time
(normally S322 abend if you exceed this) and WAIT time (normally S522
abend if you exceed the JWT value specified in the active SMFPRMxx
member's parameters).

S222 abend occurs when the operator issues a CANCEL and TIME=1440 will
NOT protect the job from this.

Note that TIME=1440 originally flagged "free" CPU time and so the used
CPU time was not recorded in the SMF records for the job, or shown in
the spooled IEF37nI messages.  Usermod ZP60019 "fixed" this.

Cheers,
Greg

Re: ABEND 522

Hercules390 - Mvs mailing list
Respectfully disagree.  A TIME= parameter of anything other than 1440/NOLIM will do as you say.  1440/NOLIM is special and will also prevent S522's.